All-Star Can Someone Explain...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ok here's my problem with the "Maddie takes away from the rest of the team" argument. Maddie isn't the only cheerlebrity on the team. She may be one of the better known ones but there are girls on the team that are almost or just as well known as she is. Why does Maddie get all of the hate? For example, Erica Engelbert. She's just as well known as Maddie but people don't hate on her nearly as much. quote]

The other girls don't put themselves out there nearly as much, is where the problem rises from IMO. (Clothing lines, appearances, the CNN documentary..)Not saying it's right or wrong, but I think that's where frustrations come from.

Can I just say that I saw the "everyone focused on Maddie" problem at worlds way too often this year..
The girl I brought (she is 13 or 14 I believe and I babysit her brother so I was kind of forced to bring her).. God bless her soul, but she really only knew about Maddie Gardner and Matt Smith. She knew about other people, like pictures she has seen of them on Tumblr, but that was about it. When Sr Elite came on, she only kept cheering "LETS GO MADDIE". Now, I don't want to sound like i'm complaining about her, but really... It was only 9:20am and I have 12 more hours to spend with her and she said she only wanted to go to see Maddies last performance. Everyone has thrown Maddie so far out into the public (by public I mean "cheerlebrity world" or whatever it shall be called) That most people only know HER. When I was able to meet Maddie at worlds, she was being chased out of the complex by fans. I spotted her Behind the baseball field with her family, hiding, then they all took off trying to avoid fans. Not too sound like a stalker, but my friend & I walked behind her in hopes she'd stop.. lol.
Every two steps she would take, a fan would run up to her for a picture, mostly foreign fans. Although she was in a hurry she still remained calm, nice & took time with each fan. I was very appreciative, said thank you, congratulated her, ect. But of course, all someone had to say about meeting her was "she was rude and didn't talk to us". -_-

SHE ISN'T PERFECT PEOPLE! She was in a hurry to leave and go somewhere (what her sister told me) and if 30 different people were RUNNING after you, you'd be kind of stressed too. How she handled the situation though, imo, was amazing and I applaud her for talent, an amazing end to her all-star cheer career, and all she's accomplished. The people who hate on her are just making more people know her name. And for people who say Sr Elite will be nothing without Maddie, uhm have you seen all the talent they have this year? Let Maddie be. She's graduated and is moving on. I think it's time everyone who hates on her should move on as well.

Ok here's my problem with the "Maddie takes away from the rest of the team" argument. Maddie isn't the only cheerlebrity on the team. She may be one of the better known ones but there are girls on the team that are almost or just as well known as she is. Why does Maddie get all of the hate? For example, Erica Engelbert. She's just as well known as Maddie but people don't hate on her nearly as much. Not saying people should hate on Erica or any other cheerlebrity on the team. I'm just saying that argument really doesn't seem valid to me.
Like someone pointed out on the thread earlier, for being so "antibullying" people on here seem to do a lot of bullying.

No, Maddie isn't the only well-known one on the team by any means, but from the outside looking in, she milks it more than anyone else. What may seem to her as something she'll be doing to make her fans happy looks to other people like she's just trying to keep herself famous. I don't think that everything Maddie does is a ploy to make herself more famous/keep herself relevant, however I think that many of the things she does come off that way.

I remember hearing a while ago that her mom would log in and respond to some people.. Not sure if it's true, but either way it's nice of their family. I know for a fact they have mailed things to fans before either way.

It is a nice gesture, don't get me wrong, I just think that people are judging her character based off of things that she posts on social media sites, in which case they're judging someone else's character. NOT saying Maddie does not feel the way the posts are saying, however there's always that element of ingenuity when your statements are coming from other people (businesses, celebrities, etc. included)

I'll relate this to gymnastics. Even I initially had an issue with Maddie's handling of her win. She was running around with the globe, hysterically (almost to the point of faking) crying, the win seemed to be all about her. But then I read some comments where people thought she didn't deserve the scholarship and I didn't agree. This past weekend's Olympic Trials also made me look back on Maddie. Hold on to your seats here, I AM about to defend Maddie Gardner. To not give Maddie the credit she deserves in this industry is stupid. Whatever issues anyone (including myself) has with her cannot overshadow how much she has done for this industry, whether it be through magazines, videos, or through her amazing stunting ability, she's a LARGE part of many changes in this industry, and she's well-known. The same could be said for Nastia Liukin, who got the largest send-off I've ever seen in gymnastics. Multiple other girls were done gymnastics after finishing their last event, and they were not nobodies by any means (Alicia Sacramone, Rebecca Bross). Many people have had issues with Nastia's attitude in the past, but she got the departure she deserved because, above any other current gymnast, SHE is the biggest name, even if she's not the biggest talent these days. Seeing her send-off made me kinda think back to Worlds and think to myself "hmmm... maybe the way Maddie left really WAS deserved".

I really don't know why its such an issue for anyone that is not a part of the program or personally affected. As a dad, I guess just because of the kind of person I am, it wouldn't bother me or my kids even if they were part of that program. I think people sometimes worry about things that they really don't have to. Im sure that inside that program if everyone else was so upset at one person getting all the attention, then it would be handled within the program. Think about what would make everyone else happy. Does everyone want her to come out and say "I no longer want all the attention, you all can pick who you all think should get the attention so that everyone is happy!" Ever think that if someone does something, someone else can do it too? How many music artist are put in the lime light because of a good marketing team, when there are so many others that could be there? Don't hate the player, hate the game! At the end of the day, bashing and ranting and everything else...... won't change a thing!! If its jealousy on anyones part, I would suggest getting to know how she was able to do it (coaches, parents, and any one else involved in helping to reach that status) then possibly you can be there. If its not jealousy and it hasn't affected you personally then why care?

Most people I would say bash her out of jealousy yes. However, I do not personally care for any individual that puts themselves in a spotlight. I have never bashed Maddie, I think she's an incredibly talented flyer. But to me, anyone outside of maybe 3 or 4 INCREDIBLY talented kids don't deserve the status that they have. I think a lot of people would rather give credit to her bases, don't think she's worthy, or think she has an attitude. Then again, I can't speak for them as I don't know what is running through their heads.
Personally, I don't like any gym/team that goes out of their way to highlight certain athletes. But I would never bash another athlete.... I don't want that karma.

I really don't know why its such an issue for anyone that is not a part of the program or personally affected.

At the end of the day, bashing and ranting and everything else...... won't change a thing!!

If its not jealousy and it hasn't affected you personally then why care?

Agreed, shimmy x100!

I feel like WE are the one's who gave her that status and now that she has 'blown up' WE want to take it away from her. :confused:
preach. although.. it was stated a while back any discussion about MG would be locked. Not sure the word for word on that but - just as cheermomntx said.. we are the ones that caused the hoopla !

Back