All-Star Cancel Cheersport?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

A few yrs ago it was a bad snow storm in my area NCA weekend, flights were delayed including a huge group flight from my gym, some were cancelled, parents slept in the airport and took early flights out Saturday morning, one of our coaches had to leave the venue to get our final kid from the airport and literally run her back to the comp she showed up about 10 min before we went to warmup.

Another instance we had to call a car service and meet him at the corner (the main streets were clear but not our neighborhood) to get to the airport in order to make a competition in buffalo. We had been snowed in for a week, no school, no work, no practice.

I truly believe cheer parents are the best, they do what they have to do to be there for the team. Yes I definitely agree you should be safe and use your better judgement but that may mean get on the team bus because your flight is cancelled or drive in a caravan as a parent suggested earlier, maybe leave later to give the roads a chance to clear, but please explore all of your options before deciding to stay home. Remember a lot of ppl have invested a lot of money and it would be a shame if they were missing team members at the end of it all.

It's also important to understand that cheersport has signed a lot of contracts with the conference center and area hotels if its 50 degrees Saturday they will be open and cheersport will be responsible for every contracted dollar. The thousands of rooms they blocked they will still have to pay for and we will all expect refunds. So basically unless everyone bands together and says dear cheersport cancel the competition but keep all of our money, oh and we will send you the $40 x 65000 spectators as well.. We should all make plans to be in ATL this weekend.

Lol, "no", when we moved to Atlanta my 4 cats hung out in the front windows of our house and for some reason they drew the entire cat population of the neighborhood to our front porch where they like to hang out all day. Unfortunately, it has nothing to do with cheer and everything to do with people calling me the "catlady".
there are worse things to be called...lol. we have two cats of our own and an outdoor cat from down the street that has adopted us. I feel so bad when we see little footprints on the snow on our stoop when we go outside.:(

A few yrs ago it was a bad snow storm in my area NCA weekend, flights were delayed including a huge group flight from my gym, some were cancelled, parents slept in the airport and took early flights out Saturday morning, one of our coaches had to leave the venue to get our final kid from the airport and literally run her back to the comp she showed up about 10 min before we went to warmup.

Another instance we had to call a car service and meet him at the corner (the main streets were clear but not our neighborhood) to get to the airport in order to make a competition in buffalo. We had been snowed in for a week, no school, no work, no practice.

I truly believe cheer parents are the best, they do what they have to do to be there for the team. Yes I definitely agree you should be safe and use your better judgement but that may mean get on the team bus because your flight is cancelled or drive in a caravan as a parent suggested earlier, maybe leave later to give the roads a chance to clear, but please explore all of your options before deciding to stay home. Remember a lot of ppl have invested a lot of money and it would be a shame if they were missing team members at the end of it all.

It's also important to understand that cheersport has signed a lot of contracts with the conference center and area hotels if its 50 degrees Saturday they will be open and cheersport will be responsible for every contracted dollar. The thousands of rooms they blocked they will still have to pay for and we will all expect refunds. So basically unless everyone bands together and says dear cheersport cancel the competition but keep all of our money, oh and we will send you the $40 x 65000 spectators as well.. We should all make plans to be in ATL this weekend.

I get what you are saying, but the lives of the cheerleaders and their families far outweigh money. Yes, it would be a shame if teams are missing members, but if you truly feel travelling would endanger the life of your child or yourself, why on earth would you go?

I think this Cheersport will go down in the Record Books for a competition and what it took to get all of the teams, athletes, spectators, Judges-which I am one!!!! etc to get there... Everyone travel safe, and take your time, especially traveling by car please......:fro: CHEERS!!!!!
Your judging? Don't you coach at CAC?

Cheer Dad = broke dad

I think this Cheersport will go down in the Record Books for a competition and what it took to get all of the teams, athletes, spectators, Judges-which I am one!!!! etc to get there... Everyone travel safe, and take your time, especially traveling by car please......:fro: CHEERS!!!!!
Question: do they assign you to arenas or divisions that your teams are not competing in or do you end up judging some of your own teams? I always wondered how judging assignments worked in that situation.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Irrelevant to cheersport, but my grandfather died and my mom had to fly down to Georgia on Monday her flight back to Maine was Thursday which has already been cancelled! My mom's stuck in Georgia now till Saturday. But when she gets home she's going to have a nice 18 inches of snow we're getting tomorrow - _ -

I get what you are saying, but the lives of the cheerleaders and their families far outweigh money. Yes, it would be a shame if teams are missing members, but if you truly feel travelling would endanger the life of your child or yourself, why on earth would you go?

I agree and am glad you bolded truly. However there is a difference between something being life threatening and inconvenient. Cancelled flights doesnt mean unsafe driving conditions. Leaving early Friday morning so that the streets have been cleared is not life threatening. Riding the bus because you don't feel safe driving on your own is considered being safe not unsafe.
When you sign up to be on a traveling team that does most f it's competing Dec-Mar you have to expect snow and be flexible to change, that's my only point. No you shouldn't put your life in danger, but you should make sure you have explored all possible options.

I agree and am glad you bolded truly. However there is a difference between something being life threatening and inconvenient. Cancelled flights doesnt mean unsafe driving conditions. Leaving early Friday morning so that the streets have been cleared is not life threatening. Riding the bus because you don't feel safe driving on your own is considered being safe not unsafe.
When you sign up to be on a traveling team that does most f it's competing Dec-Mar you have to expect snow and be flexible to change, that's my only point. No you shouldn't put your life in danger, but you should make sure you have explored all possible options.

I absolutely agree. I'm sorry that I originally took your post to mean that you should attempt to go at all costs. There is a huge difference between inconvenient and life threatening.

Doesn't CAC own cheersport?

They used to. Varsity bought them 2? (I think) years ago. But coaches that are also judges for the former gym that used to own the competition that are now competing and paid bids that are given at the discretion of the competition just sits a bit funny with me.
The weather sucks. I really feel badly for anyone who is dealing with trying to figure out how and if to get there. And what will it be like if and when you get there? The power outages are so widespread - you hope it will all be fixed by the weekend and I am sure the Convention Center and businesses right there will be, but who knows about any where else. Best wishes to everyone!

Doesn't CAC own cheersport?

Cheersport is now a Varsity Competition.

shared Varsity All Star's status.
38 minutes ago

CHEERSPORT Nationals will be held as scheduled this weekend. We know there is a lot of national press coverage about the winter weather we are experiencing. However, we were fortunate to have enough advance warning that we and all of our partners here in Atlanta were able to make contingency plans. We are actually at the Georgia World Congress Center now setting up.

Unlike a couple of weeks ago, the city is well prepared and we are confident that all will be well by the time you arrive. Warmer weather is forecasted to move into the city on Thursday afternoon, with temperatures averaging in the low 50’s through the weekend.

Atlanta Convention & Visitors Bureau is in communication with local area businesses for their latest updates throughout the week. We encourage you to follow @ATLmeetings and#OpeninATL for the latest information on local restaurant and attractions hours.

For those driving into Atlanta, call 511 or visit www.511ga.org for the latest construction and travel alerts and to view a real-time traffic map.

We wish safe travels for you and we look forward to seeing you in a few days.

They used to. Varsity bought them 2? (I think) years ago. But coaches that are also judges for the former gym that used to own the competition that are now competing and paid bids that are given at the discretion of the competition just sits a bit funny with me.

Oh! Then yeah, I'm with you. I thought CAC didn't go. But if they're going, then um... Yeah. Sits funny with me too!

Were in South Carolina and getting the same weather as Atlanta. It's sucks and were all stuck inside, but with over a thousand teams I don't think they would. That would also interfere with other competitions too if they rescheduled. Just a question, has the power ever gone out at a competition before? Praying safe travels for all!

Back