High School Captain Issues. . .

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 20, 2010
Ok, so I have 2 captains. One is awesome - mature, confident, responsible, etc.
The other seemed great, but a month after being named captain, she is only concerned with being popular. This is not ok, my captains should be leaders, not followers of the crowd.

The not so great captain hasn't done any one big problem that is worthy of "dethroning" her, but all the little things are adding up. I won't go into details.

Has anyone been on a team, coached on a team, or been this captain, where you had captain issues?
Did the captain get "dethroned?"
What did she do?
How did the team as a whole respond to it?
How did parents respond?
Did she stay on the team, or quit?

Thanks! I just need some feedback to see what others have done.

I'm having captain issues too. None of our captains take it seriously. Two of them drop the other one every single day and laugh instead of trying to catch her. None of them lead. They never call cheers when they should. And one of them is mean and controlling about the wrong things. I'm just trying to step up and remind them of their responsibilities in subtle ways and if they're trying to control me in a way that they don't have the power to, I just ignore them.

My senior year of HS I played volleyball, and my coach made the monumental error of naming 3 of us captains. I followed the game plan and did what we were supposed to do, but I had one capt. who was meek and wouldn't captain at all (I forget she even WAS captain, when I think about it..), and the other who was AWFUL. She slacked off on conditioning, played favorites, had an AWFUL attitude and brought the team down every time SHE screwed up.. she even called me a 'Nazi' in front of the other girls and thought it was 'funny'.

My coach did NOTHING, and that's what killed me. She let her carry on like that and it very nearly ruined the season for me (and the other girls). As an athlete to a coach, do something. Make it very clear that you EARN your captain-ship. It is a privileged position that CAN and WILL be taken away if she doesn't step up. Maybe once she realizes that it's not something you get by default, she'll straighten up. If not, she doesn't deserve to be a leader. You CAN have one captain.

My senior year of HS I played volleyball, and my coach made the monumental error of naming 3 of us captains. I followed the game plan and did what we were supposed to do, but I had one capt. who was meek and wouldn't captain at all (I forget she even WAS captain, when I think about it..), and the other who was AWFUL. She slacked off on conditioning, played favorites, had an AWFUL attitude and brought the team down every time SHE screwed up.. she even called me a 'Nazi' in front of the other girls and thought it was 'funny'.

My coach did NOTHING, and that's what killed me. She let her carry on like that and it very nearly ruined the season for me (and the other girls). As an athlete to a coach, do something. Make it very clear that you EARN your captain-ship. It is a privileged position that CAN and WILL be taken away if she doesn't step up. Maybe once she realizes that it's not something you get by default, she'll straighten up. If not, she doesn't deserve to be a leader. You CAN have one captain.

what did you do about the ignoring coach?

I think you should just talk to her in private.
She may not even realize all the resentment people are feeling towards her. We have 2 captains as well, and although one of them sounds very similar to the girl you are describing, being "dethroned" just isn't something that would ever happen, especially if there hasn't been any major issue. That could backfire and end up causing more problems.

what did you do about the ignoring coach?

Nothing. There was nothing I COULD do..I went to a VERY small HS. Certain sports were major, and some weren't. Mine wasn't, so there were half the kids who wanted to be there and WIN (me) and half the kids who wanted to do whatever and didn't care. She spent half the time trying to get my co-captain together and half the time laughing and joking with her (my head coach also had coached basketball with this girl). So I sucked it up and did what I could do. We only won 4 games that whole season, lots of times losing in the 4-5th game/match because we couldn't 'close out.' Because of poor team bonding..gee, wonder where THAT came from lol

Nothing. There was nothing I COULD do..I went to a VERY small HS. Certain sports were major, and some weren't. Mine wasn't, so there were half the kids who wanted to be there and WIN (me) and half the kids who wanted to do whatever and didn't care. She spent half the time trying to get my co-captain together and half the time laughing and joking with her (my head coach also had coached basketball with this girl). So I sucked it up and did what I could do. We only won 4 games that whole season, lots of times losing in the 4-5th game/match because we couldn't 'close out.' Because of poor team bonding..gee, wonder where THAT came from lol

gaah. my coach is terrible. he favorites and it so obvious. does anyone know anything i could do?

I have had to de-thrown a captain. She was captain when I took over as coach, and the only one with any cheer experience at that school, so I decided to let her stay captain. I talked to the previous coach about her and she assured me that she was always first there and last to leave, would do anything to make sure the team was taken care of and all that.
She was really bossy about stupid stuff and was always in the middle of drama. I had a meeting with her and told her what I needed her to fix and made it clear what I expected from her. It still didn't happen, so I fired her. She did not immediately quit, and she did get better for awhile. But she was still wrapped up in drama with other cheerleaders, boys basketball players, girls basketball players, etc. and basically giving us a bad name. She didn't show up to a game and quit. At that point I was tired of dealing with her and was going to kick her off at the very next practice.

I think my story is extreme, but if the captain is not doing their job there is no point in keeping them around.

All You Can Do Is Encourage Them Maybe Set Up Things For Her And The Other Senior To Do Together To Make Her Feel Like She Has A Friend ( Or At Least Someone There For Them ).

I Am A Captain On my Squad. Its Me And One Other Girl.
I Am Very Outspoken And Am Willing To Tell The Team What To Do.
Where She Is More Of The Reserved Type When It Comes To Discipline.
But She Is Better In Areas Im Not And Vice Versa.
So Try And Figure Out Their Weakness And Strengths.
Help Her With Her Weaknesses And Compliment And Thank Her For Her Strengths She Can Bring To The Team.

then you have those captains that try to tear the team apart (and destroy the poor lonely frosh on the team) because she is jealous (the coach is giving her better spots)...

-- sorry just a mom ranting ---

and then you have the ones who dont do anything with the team...
my cousin was really happy to make varsity cause i did in my school and she comes and tells me she hates it cause her captains never do anything

Back