High School Captains

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not at our school. It's too competitive and very emotional so they just post it on the cheer website after the interviews are completed and scores are calculated. The same with the Freshman squad.

Wayyy too competitive at our school. When I post tryout results, I just indicate "-captain" by that candidates number. The girls who don't get it are often hurt...so I try not to make it a huge deal because it leads to drama!

Ok this is just my opinion, but doesn't it suck not to be able to really celebrate someone being an outstanding candidate and getting captain and being super excited that they're going to do a really good job just because other girls might be disappointed?

This is one of my personal vendettas because I constantly want to incorporate ways to acknowledge those who are doing an outstanding job but many times ends up causing a scandal because some girls who aren't doing as well throw themselves a pity party. Personally seeing others excel adds fuel to my fire to accomplish just as much. Shouldn't we as a squad rally around girls doing really well and realize that someone's success does not mean our failure. Someone else doing well does not harm you.

Has anyone had success incorporating something fun like celebrating captain announcements or celebrating new skills or highlighting one girl without getting backlash from the rest of the squad?

Or, the coach could have the team vote, and pick someone else! Have the girl who is probably going to get the most votes collect the papers and announce the person you (coach) wants to be captain! Then, the coach picked a junior and a sophomore as co-captain. There are five seniors and four of them are four-year cheerleaders.

Our old school has no returning seniors and the sponsor decided that she didn't want the juniors to be in charge two years in a row. She has a personal rule that captain must be a senior.

Seniority doesn't matter for my team. Our three captains are two juniors and a sophomore and I couldn't be happier with who our team chose. At the end of practice a few days ago the coach announced the captains in front of everybody and they got little tiaras that they wore to the first game. I don't think anybody was resentful to them because everybody knew those girls earned that position

Latest posts

Back