All-Star Cea Chicago

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

After watching a small gym in the mid Atlantic fall a part mid year I have a little different view. When a group of parents were planning to open a gym got discovered the owner of the gym kicked them and their kids out that day. Some left, some stayed but the season was ruined for all. I understand from the owners perspective you have to protect your business. I understand the parents needing to plan ahead so they are ready to in April to have tryouts and be able to stay in business. Feel sorry for the kids, but both gyms are big enough to survive. With smaller gyms someone usually ends up losing their business.

This derailment is interesting.

The HS talent in IL is great and I wondered if/how some of the girls competed in all stars.

I'm assuming the coaches on both sides have to be flexible.
Hopefully no one else answered but quite the opposite. Per IHSA guidelines you are not even suppose to practice or tryout until the official end of the HS comp season - first week in Feb. So unless your HS squad does not compete - no dice.

Same for any HS sport during comp season and a competitive travel team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oneonta?

I never knew upstate NY people were so fiercely protective of their locale until I went to Binghamton.
:) Lil ol' Oney. The tiniest college town.

Haha yeah there isnt a faster way to piss of a NYer than to refer to their region as the wrong region. Once my meteorology professor referred to Oneonta as central NY and I was like "ummmmm you're wrong because this is definitely the Mohawk Valley and Syracuse is central NY. There is even a map of this, sir. But continue."

REGIONAL_Council_31313_web5.jpg

I have to say though that people who live downstate are just as protective [emoji14] the first time I referred to LI as NYC to someone from LI, I was very quickly (and aggressively) corrected and then given a complete geography lesson of LI, NYC, and all of the boroughs :wasntme: never made that mistake again!

:) Lil ol' Oney. The tiniest college town.

Haha yeah there isnt a faster way to piss of a NYer than to refer to their region as the wrong region. Once my meteorology professor referred to Oneonta as central NY and I was like "ummmmm you're wrong because this is definitely the Mohawk Valley and Syracuse is central NY. There is even a map of this, sir. But continue."

REGIONAL_Council_31313_web5.jpg

I have to say though that people who live downstate are just as protective [emoji14] the first time I referred to LI as NYC to someone from LI, I was very quickly (and aggressively) corrected and then given a complete geography lesson of LI, NYC, and all of the boroughs :wasntme: never made that mistake again!
Yes and people here say that they live "on Long Island" rather than "in Long Island". I think the most fiercely protective though are native Manhattaners (a rare breed). Everyone else is basically B&T (bridge and tunnel) to them.

Meanwhile, your school's Halloweens were legendary amongst the SUNYs. I remember them actually closing the campus so people from my school couldn't come and hang out.

Hopefully no one else answered but quite the opposite. Per IHSA guidelines you are not even suppose to practice or tryout until the official end of the HS comp season - first week in Feb. So unless your HS squad does not compete - no dice.

Hence the Quarter Season all star teams, right? Because you can't even start till Feb?

Some posted upthread about going for a bid in Feb/March. Wild.

Yes and people here say that they live "on Long Island" rather than "in Long Island". I think the most fiercely protective though are native Manhattaners (a rare breed). Everyone else is basically B&T (bridge and tunnel) to them.

Meanwhile, your school's Halloweens were legendary amongst the SUNYs. I remember them actually closing the campus so people from my school couldn't come and hang out.

This is something I've never thought about or considered until just now, when I spent entirely too much time thinking about it

I have cousins that live there and I say that they live "on Long Island".

I guess it's because of the island part

Hence the Quarter Season all star teams, right? Because you can't even start till Feb?

Correct. IHSA state is Feb. 5-6 and that weekend marks the end of the season. As a few people have mentioned in this thread, UA got together more than 30 kids I believe to make a large coed 5 team, took them to compete at One Up in Nashville, won an at-large bid to worlds, and ended up not only competing, but also beating one or two other teams to end up 10th in the world in less than 4 months of being together.

ETA: they got their bid one of the first weeks in April btw!

Here's a video for anyone interested:

sorry to derail the thread a bit!

They still can. We have two local bid comps in March and Columbus and Detroit are not too far. Very reasonable to get a bid

Correct. IHSA state is Feb. 5-6 and that weekend marks the end of the season. As a few people have mentioned in this thread, UA got together more than 30 kids I believe to make a large coed 5 team, took them to compete at One Up in Nashville, won an at-large bid to worlds, and ended up not only competing, but also beating one or two other teams to end up 10th in the world in less than 4 months of being together.

ETA: they got their bid one of the first weeks in April btw!

Here's a video for anyone interested:

sorry to derail the thread a bit!

So happy to see them make it.

I've always found this a very crazy thing since moving to Chicago. I'm from down south and we where always allowed to do both and it benefited both the school and all star programs!

After watching a small gym in the mid Atlantic fall a part mid year I have a little different view. When a group of parents were planning to open a gym got discovered the owner of the gym kicked them and their kids out that day. Some left, some stayed but the season was ruined for all. I understand from the owners perspective you have to protect your business. I understand the parents needing to plan ahead so they are ready to in April to have tryouts and be able to stay in business. Feel sorry for the kids, but both gyms are big enough to survive. With smaller gyms someone usually ends up losing their business.

I'm sorry did you say parents opening a gym?

*The day Susie was not full of sunshine.*

I've always found this a very crazy thing since moving to Chicago. I'm from down south and we where always allowed to do both and it benefited both the school and all star programs!
It's because cheer is considered a sport in Illinois. It sucks that people can't do both, but the school teams benefit from being considered a sport.

Back