All-Star Cea Chicago

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I can't follow your grocery store analogy. Especially since grocery stores and cheerleading gyms aren't the same thing - whether you're an employee or customer. Which has been stated already in this thread.

I don't care if she did or didn't intentionally lead kids out of a gym. She opened a gym mid season, offered teams, and allowed kids to jump ship, ruining other teams. Again, SHE COULD'VE WAITED TIL NEXT SEASON AND OFFERED CLASSES. I doubt the kids that followed her would've quit cheer altogether if she didn't offer a team at CEA. I'm sure they would've stayed put.

Also, I can't get behind these kids jumping ship when it seems nothing was happening that would put them in harms way. So you're disappointed in your team or your gym or the way the season is turning out. Sorry to be blunt but wah wah, the world is not fair, suck it up buttercup. Not every season is rainbows and sunshine and trophies. Sometimes you don't get what you paid for. Sometimes it doesn't go the way you had hoped. Unless your safety is being comprimised, the right thing to do is stay. You made a commitment to your fellow team mates who are also going through the same thing you are. Who are also paying the same amount of money you are. What you chose to do AFTER the season is over is up to you. But have some integrity and follow through on the commitment you made to your team mates. If you can't be a TEAM player in best of times or the not best of times, then maybe a TEAM sport isn't for you.

I was in a really sh*tty situation the last year at my first gym and I followed through til the end. It really wasn't the end of the world. I really have no sympathy for this Kaley lady or the kids who jumped ship. I feel for the kids who are now left without a team.

You can change grocery store with any other position you want, it all equals the same. Why should this coach have had to wait until the end of ICE's season to ensure her future was covered? The point is, she was staying---ICE forced her hand and she reacted. I don't fault her for that.

As for the result, an ICE parent here has said the exact opposite---that without this coaches gym those athletes likely would have sat the season out. Of course no one really knows how 100% true this is because it didn't happen, but I think this focus on safety/danger as the only okay reason to leave is a little short sided. What about mental health that can't be seen or evaluated by the naked eye? Should miserable athletes be forced to stay in a program with a different coach because theirs were forced out? I don't think they should. Can ever kid handle that change like it's nothing? No.

I know what it's like to stay in a crappy situation because I had to see my commitment through; mind you I was in the same age group as these 5R kids are, and I can say looking back it was the absolute stupidest decision I could have made for myself at that time. If others chose to stay in crappy situation, that is on them---but the judgement towards those who say 'peace out' and do what is best for them, I just don't agree with.

The whole "suck it up" way of thinking really doesn't seem fair especially in a sport like cheerleading where the amount of time you have to participate in the sport is very limited.
I'm sorry, but this is true for 99% of the athletes out there. Most kids do not go on to play their sport in college and even fewer of those go on to a pro career if that option even exists for their beloved sport. There are 3 months left in the season. Less if you don't go to summit.

Personally, I will continue to teach my kids to "suck it up" and fulfill their commitments and if the situation ever arises that they're in an unsafe position I will teach them how to bow out with grace.

It's been stated in this thread alone that this isn't the case in AS gyms. Of course every gym will have their own rules, and I can't remember who said it, but the mere question from another gym got her fired. With as catty and petty as some within AS cheer are, I doubt there needed to be much for her to be fired---good or bad person, don't think it mattered that much.

Well, that's a shame if gyms treat their coaches that way. It's not a surprise to see coaches leave gyms if they are going to be treated as though they aren't important.

You can change grocery store with any other position you want, it all equals the same. Why should this coach have had to wait until the end of ICE's season to ensure her future was covered? The point is, she was staying---ICE forced her hand and she reacted. I don't fault her for that.

As for the result, an ICE parent here has said the exact opposite---that without this coaches gym those athletes likely would have sat the season out. Of course no one really knows how 100% true this is because it didn't happen, but I think this focus on safety/danger as the only okay reason to leave is a little short sided. What about mental health that can't be seen or evaluated by the naked eye? Should miserable athletes be forced to stay in a program with a different coach because theirs were forced out? I don't think they should. Can ever kid handle that change like it's nothing? No.

I know what it's like to stay in a crappy situation because I had to see my commitment through; mind you I was in the same age group as these 5R kids are, and I can say looking back it was the absolute stupidest decision I could have made for myself at that time. If others chose to stay in crappy situation, that is on them---but the judgement towards those who say 'peace out' and do what is best for them, I just don't agree with.

ICE parents have been saying a lot of things. So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Just a small side note: I was also the same age as the 5R kids in question during my last year at my first gym and believe me, it was awful. Coaches doing drugs with athletes in hotel rooms, athletes sleeping together, the owners pocketing money from the gym and saying we can't afford to attend comps, coaches sabatoging the success of other teams in the gym out of jealousy, team mates being arrested and thrown in jail hours before a competition, athletes breaking into the gym and stealing money. Just awful stuff. But I told my parents that I will finish out the season and then I wanted to switch gyms if we could afford it. I finished it out for my teammates and my friends on the team. I look back at that time and while I remember how miserable I was for the last few months, crying on the way home from every practice, I also look back and see how it made me grow as a person. I do not regret my decision to finish out my season at all. I've made really stupid decisions in my life but that was not one of them. It was one of the best "life lessons" situations I ever endured.

It's not a bad thing to suffer through disappointing seasons, unless, like I said, your health (physical and mental) is compromised. It toughens you up for the disappointment of adulthood ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And to touch upon the mental health subject - I really struggled emotionally in college and the mental strength I had from going through all the BS in cheer helped me stay strong during that time even if there were some really low points. I learned invaluable skills during my time at my first gym, skills I still use today. And I see my friends who have been sheltered from disappointment and hard times their whole lives, who don't have those same skills, and I see how it hinders their abilities to reach the goals they want to achieve.

I'm sorry, but this is true for 99% of the athletes out there. Most kids do not go on to play their sport in college and even fewer of those go on to a pro career if that option even exists for their beloved sport. There are 3 months left in the season. Less if you don't go to summit.

Personally, I will continue to teach my kids to "suck it up" and fulfill their commitments and if the situation ever arises that they're in an unsafe position I will teach them how to bow out with grace.

I want to give you a standing ovation rn.

Since they have a gym in Waldorf, MD and Richmond area, those are probably enough to serve the NOVA area at this time.
Yeah not in the traffic up here. But I saw you are a NOVA person ...this area south 95 is not happening from here on a weekday after 4 PM so Richmond not happening, and I stay away from the Beltway as much as possible.....drove to MD Twisters once or twice and as much as I love them that drive isn't happening on a routine basis so no way on the Waldorf (but have seen them compete and for new gym looking very nice)

My first year of all star my coach was fired and they brought in a dance coach instead. We still had an assistant cheer coach, but none of us left. Did everyone come back the next year? No. But we all finished our commitment.

Part of adulthood is also making the most out of situations you didn't plan or anticipate happening and being able to roll with it into something different and potentially better. You shouldn't have to be miserable to learn commitment and disappointment; I'm not saying you can't learn those things through misery, but it's not a one way street with only one right answer.

ICE parents have been saying a lot of things. So I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Just a small side note: I was also the same age as the 5R kids in question during my last year at my first gym and believe me, it was awful. Coaches doing drugs with athletes in hotel rooms, athletes sleeping together, the owners pocketing money from the gym and saying we can't afford to attend comps, coaches sabatoging the success of other teams in the gym out of jealousy, team mates being arrested and thrown in jail hours before a competition, athletes breaking into the gym and stealing money. Just awful stuff. But I told my parents that I will finish out the season and then I wanted to switch gyms if we could afford it. I finished it out for my teammates and my friends on the team. I look back at that time and while I remember how miserable I was for the last few months, crying on the way home from every practice, I also look back and see how it made me grow as a person. I do not regret my decision to finish out my season at all. I've made really stupid decisions in my life but that was not one of them. It was one of the best "life lessons" situations I ever endured.

It's not a bad thing to suffer through disappointing seasons, unless, like I said, your health (physical and mental) is compromised. It toughens you up for the disappointment of adulthood ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And to touch upon the mental health subject - I really struggled emotionally in college and the mental strength I had from going through all the BS in cheer helped me stay strong during that time even if there were some really low points. I learned invaluable skills during my time at my first gym, skills I still use today. And I see my friends who have been sheltered from disappointment and hard times their whole lives, who don't have those same skills, and I see how it hinders their abilities to reach the goals they want to achieve.

Just want to say 100% yes to everything you have said in this thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I understand that all I'm saying is that it's understandable the for these athletes to try and enjoy the small amount of time they have left. When you only have 2 seasons left to cheer it seems unreasonable to be mad at these girls for not wasting one of those seasons in an unpleasant condition. Especially when they know they won't ever have a chance to reach those goals again or compete with that team again. Loyalty should not be something that is used to hold athletes against their will in a situation where they are unhappy. They are still just girls who are trying to achieve their dreams while they can.

But I'm extremely biased as an athlete who only has one season of cheer left so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

wow

I find this whole discussion rather fascinating. It brings up some very interesting ethical and theoretical questions, that I guess I kind of struggle with in this sport. I can totally understand the concept that if this coach wasn't happy, and was let go for essentially making it known that she was unhappy and making other plans, that the people who were loyal to her were ready and willing to take a stand with her. That makes sense to me on some level, and I guess I can see how it would be compelling for some of her athletes to follow her.

But I am also appalled by the lack of concern these people had for their teammates, was it right to choose a coach over a team? I don't know. But they basically left a bunch of their peers with the consequences of their convictions, which could be devastating to families like mine, who struggle to make this all happen, and who would have made sacrifices that were basically demeaned by another group of people. No way I could even consider being able to afford starting over mid season. But I would also be disappointed by the owner, who would take a stand against a coach mid season, allowing this to happen. It would all be very devestating to me. We place our childrens' well being in the hands of an organization, coaches and other parents every season, and I hate it when egos become an obstruction to people remembering this. YUCK!

Finally, I am very conflicted about a big gym lending it's name to this situation. I am not opposed to expansion, or to being supportive of a coach that you are ready to invest in... But to do it at the expense of the kids who committed to a program you were not in competition with at the beginning of the season? That just seems too opportunistic to me, I generally respect CEA, and have liked their athlete centered reputation, so it's pretty baffling to me.

Back