All-Star Cea Chicago

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Whenever I look at these types of situations, I start to become indignant on the gym's behalf (the coach in me.)

Then the parent in me stops, takes a step back, and remembers that a parent or guardian's loyalty and interest lies with their child. (I did not birth my kid, so it has been interesting to see the "mom lens" come into play in these types of discussions as I evolve as a parent.)

Sure she has a right to open a gym/look for a new job while employed but don't plan to open a gym midseason 10 minutes from the hand that has fed you the last 7-8 years. I am sure THAT was the issue with Darlene.
Example that has nothing to do with cheer but it sticks out in my head of how this situation could have been played out. My father in law is a minister and led a VERY large church for over 25 years and was very loved by his congregation. He decided to retire but still wanted to be in the ministry but very part time. He knew if he went to the tiny church around the corner that people would follow him and he didn't want to harm the cohesiveness or cause any trouble with the large congregation. He moved to a small country church far enough away where he didn't take away from the large church. He was wished well, plans were made for his departure, there were zero hard feelings and the large congregation became family with his new church.
In my opinion cea should have been located in a place where it was not in direct competition with ice. Period . Kaley had no respect for Darlene doing this and CSP should have had respect for Darlene as a business owner to not do this to her as well.
That was a very smart decision from your father in law, and it worked out in that case. But this is not like this coach was retiring. She was terminated by the gym and (most likely) left without an income. Why should she have to inconvenience herself further to plan around the gym that let her go?

Not so long ago, I left my child in a situation to teach her to see out a commitment. While I couldn't see it, she was subjected to substandard coaching and left to feel she was not capable of making a valued contribution to a team. Because I never saw the coaching and general situation up close, (every practice closed) I didn't have any idea until it was too late that seeing out that commitment shattered her confidence and almost claimed her love for a sport she has devoted so much of her little 10 year old life to.

If I'd known then what I know now, I wouldn't have stayed. And you darn well better believe that if I found myself in that toxic situation again I would be out of there before Droplet could get her cheer shoes off and through the door of one that could change her life.

My loyalty is to MY child and MY family and no one or no thing else. Never will I ever make that mistake again.

shimmy x100,000,000,000

Looking at this solely from a sport where much of the expense is front loaded for the consumer, this is what I would like to see happen in the future:

All USASF coaches would register with a gym at the beginning of the season. If for whatever reason that coach is fired or decides to quit, they may work for another gym, HOWEVER, they would not be able to start coaching new teams mid-season. In other words, they could help coach existing teams, do stunt, tumble, prep classes, etc. Once the season has ended, they are free to coach new teams. This would protect parents as consumers since the sport requires payment in advance for product and services. This would protect the kids and gyms from having a mass exodus mid-season.

That was a very smart decision from your father in law, and it worked out in that case. But this is not like this coach was retiring. She was terminated by the gym and (most likely) left without an income. Why should she have to inconvenience herself further to plan around the gym that let her go?

I understand what you are saying. I do see both sides. He also didn't plan to go to the church around the corner without telling current church and then take his people with him.

Looking at this solely from a sport where much of the expense is front loaded for the consumer, this is what I would like to see happen in the future:

All USASF coaches would register with a gym at the beginning of the season. If for whatever reason that coach is fired or decides to quit, they may work for another gym, HOWEVER, they would not be able to start coaching new teams mid-season. In other words, they could help coach existing teams, do stunt, tumble, prep classes, etc. Once the season has ended, they are free to coach new teams. This would protect parents as consumers since the sport requires payment in advance for product and services. This would protect the kids and gyms from having a mass exodus mid-season.
This would also tie the hands of someone who may want or need to leave before the seasons up when they should leave, or if the owner is crazy, they could use it to punish a coach.

That is just putting way to much faith into the gym owner. Not all are full of integrity and are very capable of doing the wrong thing.

Okay, I get how my response about not planning for the future because you're employed sounded a little..I don't know, naive or something like that. Had it all panned out as planned and started after this season ended, it would be different to me because it would allow for things to keep moving cohesively and avoid teammates that have worked together for months being left behind.

I understand that she was fired which changed things but opening a gym right away looks shady to me. I don't remember who said it but I feel like the idea of having her go to a main location of CEA(probably Raleigh or Kernersville) to learn their coaching style and how they like to run their gyms would have benefited both parties. The new coach would be more prepared to run the gym the "cea" way(I have no idea how that is, but most gyms run things a little differently than each other) and I would highly doubt the team would all move to NC for a few months. There would have been a little less fall out and the coach would still have a job. A lot of jobs have new employees, especially those higher up, go to an existing location to train.

I see both sides of this and the reasons for the actions of all involved, I just think things could have been handled a little bit better. But everyone knows hindsight is 20/20 haha

She also isn't forcing any of these parents to fork out any additional money. They are deciding on their own to follow her and agreeing to pay additional fees. They could stay and not waste money and join next season but clearly they feel like the additional expense is worth it. More power to them.
I think people meant that the kids who are left at ICE might have to pay additional money to rework things. Thats just how I took it though.

Something companies try to use to stop their employees from working for a competitor and they very rarely hold up in court.

2008-9? In Indiana... Goldstar Athletics vs Nitro Engery Sports Club. Nitro was forced to close over non compete contracts. It does happen I guess it depends on how much $ people are willing to spend in court. My kid and 150 more just like her were unfortunately caught in the cross fire of these 2 programs. Nobody is a winner in situations like that.

This would also tie the hands of someone who may want or need to leave before the seasons up when they should leave, or if the owner is crazy, they could use it to punish a coach.

That is just putting way to much faith into the gym owner. Not all are full of integrity and are very capable of doing the wrong thing.

In this situation, this is obviously a much loved and good coach in the opinion of many. A business that wants a fabulous coach, I assure you, would be willing to allow them to coach existing teams and other classes until the season is over. Everyone else is protected in the process, as well.

When CP first started this sport she was with a program that was built for military kids by two military wives. Without notice, because that's the military for you, we lost one coach and lost the other a month later. Both were supposed to be there for several more years. Should they be punished because of their husband's jobs?

USAG doesn't have this same standard; coaching leaving/being fired and going elsewhere, why should USASF? This will sound weird coming from me because I am a registered Democrat, but I'm not in favor of a large governing body and this would make USASF bigger than it already should be.

I don't know all the details and won't pretend like I do, but I'm on Kaleys side on going to open her own CEA or whatever really is the deal.
About two years ago, I worked at an assisted living Retirement home as a server in the dinning room. It started off great when I was high school. I then moved away for college for a semester and came back home and went right back to the retirement home. Since I was in college, I was able to work breakfast and lunch shifts, opposed to dinner shifts. It was a whole new world. The staff was compeletly different, the residents acted different and the management was different. It was the same five college kids working these shifts so we created a close bond.
After a few months, it all started going downhill. The CNAs got too much in our business and created drama, management was trying to hire more people and cut our hours, and started to take away some of our full time benefits.
So four out of our five, started to talk about maybe leaving if things don't change. Well a few days later, one employee got fired because a CNA over heard her talking about us wanting to leave. Within a week, the other three of us were at job interviews. And in another two weeks, we were all gone. We gave our two weeks and remained respectful to who deserved it.
Bottom line, the managers knew we all had a very close bond. I mean, we worked 40 hours together every week and were close in age. When the CNA snitched on the employee who got fired, management knew they could also lose us. That was the risk they took. We originally planned to wait to leave until they found replacements for us but things changed obviously..

If Darlene knew Kaley was looking to open up CEA, maybe if she sat down and talked to her about her plans, things could have unfolded differently. Or maybe this was Kaleys plan all along. Or maybe Kaley originally was going to wait till next season until she got fired. WHO KNOWS? Oh yeah, Kaley and Darlene and maybe the other CEA/ICE staff.

When CP first started this sport she was with a program that was built for military kids by two military wives. Without notice, because that's the military for you, we lost one coach and lost the other a month later. Both were supposed to be there for several more years. Should they be punished because of their husband's jobs?

USAG doesn't have this same standard; coaching leaving/being fired and going elsewhere, why should USASF? This will sound weird coming from me because I am a registered Democrat, but I'm not in favor of a large governing body and this would make USASF bigger than it already should be.

Should we be punished as consumers? What I proposed doesn't punish anyone. The coaches are free to leave, however, they wouldn't be able to coach NEW teams mid season, they would be able to coach teams in existence or classes until the season ends. I personally don't care if one is a Democrat or Republican, I feel as consumers we should be able to finish out a season that we paid for.

Back