All-Star Cea Chicago

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't understand the concept of being able to live of a salary only coaching. Would someone care to explain? Is it per hour? A pre-negotiated amount payed monthly?

The salary here in Sweden is basically non-existent so I'm really curious how it works. :p
It completely depends on the gym. Some coaches are salaried and make a certain amount per year based on a work week. (Full time in the US is usually considered 40 hours a week.) I think this is more common for higher level coaches, like owners and allstar directors.

Often times I've heard of being paid a certain amount per hour to coach teams and group classes. Then they are able to schedule their own privates anytime they are available and the gym is open, and the gym only keeps a small amount of that private cost. Coaches with other jobs just coach less classes and privates. Those using it as a full time income can take on more teams, classes and privates.

I've always been paid hourly in terms of privates.

School coaching is a set amount (coaching stipend) added on to my salary and dispersed over a set number of paychecks (since I also work in the HS where I coach.)

I can't speak to living on a coaching salary as I have been teaching or counseling in the district as long as I have coached.

Last edited:
I don't understand the concept of being able to live of a salary only coaching. Would someone care to explain? Is it per hour? A pre-negotiated amount payed monthly?

The salary here in Sweden is basically non-existent so I'm really curious how it works. :p
As I understand it most coaches in Illinois earn a modest monthly salary thst is paid every two weeks. After thst, coaches can supplement their salary by giving private lessons and classes, which are paid by the parents. There are variations of this, but I think that is how it is done at a number of gyms.

My HS coach didn't work for the schools but had a full time job. Most teams were coached by a staff member with actual experience in the sport and additional outside help. I think only two stipends each team, JV and Varsity.

In AS all of our coaches, save the younger ones, were working, even the owner. Most were in education, one year half the youth team was coached by the mini's coach.

Thank you for taking your time to answer! I understand it must be different depending on which gym you belong to.

Sounds like it's very similar to here, only I can imagine the hourly wage being higher. I really like the idea of having the choice of adding onto your salary with privates and classes.

At the gym I coach at, we have ten coaches (including our owner and all star director) and I believe that 6/10 coaches have a job outside of the gym. None of us are on salary (except maybe our owner and director, I'm not sure) so we're all paid an hourly wage that most of us supplement with private lessons. I'm only able to get away with now having another job outside of coaching because I'm in college and my parents are still helping me pay my bills. If they weren't, I would definitely need a second job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I understand it most coaches in Illinois earn a modest monthly salary thst is paid every two weeks. After thst, coaches can supplement their salary by giving private lessons and classes, which are paid by the parents. There are variations of this, but I think that is how it is done at a number of gyms.

When I coached I got paid hourly. I only coached 1 team and a couple of tumble classes so I was only getting about 6-10 hours a week. I didn't do it for the money, I did because I loved cheerleading and I loved my kids. It was definitely not enough to pay the bills. I probably spent more money in gas driving there and back.

I also went to school full time and worked as a server and bartender 30 hours a week.

I remember from WC Twinkles documentary Coach Chrissy is a teacher and a tutor outside of coaching multiple World Cup teams.

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of one coach who has a day job and I'm not coming up with anything.

My senior year, almost every coach at my gym had a day job. Teacher, sales, coached cheer at college, other high schools, ect. But my current gym, only two(?) have day jobs. But a few others coach at high schools too.

I'm wracking my brain trying to think of one coach who has a day job and I'm not coming up with anything.

Most of my coaches had day jobs. Most were nurses or teachers. The only coaches I ever had that didn't have day jobs were my high school coaches.

I remember from WC Twinkles documentary Coach Chrissy is a teacher and a tutor outside of coaching multiple World Cup teams.
Most WC coaches have other jobs with the exception of a few, who will take on more teams and private lessons

I doubt it if WC Suns was in existent during that documentary and she did not have the little babies, so she had more time to have a full-time teaching gig and coached Twinkles... But she still might have her teaching job...She is such a great coach, regardless!
However, I remembered hearing that most of the coaches at CJA, worked full time jobs or were college students, but my knowledge spanned back 2 or 3 years ago, it might be different now...

I doubt it if WC Suns was in existent during that documentary and she did not have the little babies, so she had more time to have a full-time teaching gig and coached Twinkles... But she still might have her teaching job...She is such a great coach, regardless!
However, I remembered hearing that most of the coaches at CJA, worked full time jobs or were college students, but my knowledge spanned back 2 or 3 years ago, it might be different now...
She didn't have her children yet but she was teaching and coaching Suns, Twinks and Rays the year the documrntary was made.

Am I the only one that took this to mean that CEA is able to pay their coaches enough to where coaching can be their full time job, and a day job isn't necessary to supplement income? Which to me would be goals

Assuming that's what this meant.

Back