All-Star Celiacs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 12, 2011
I still have to do the biopsy but my doctor is pretty convinced I got celiacs. First thing that came to my mind when I heard it, was "oh no what with competitions?"
So I was wondering how any others do it? what about multiple day competitions? do you pack your own food for all these days? I've been to some competitions where you are not allowed to bring your own food (for the other europeans, the telekom dome in Bonn where ECU will be this year is one of these places). and the only things they offer is: pizza, pasta, burgers and sandwiches, nothing gluten free.
how should I handle this? Also I'm a coach and never have to time to look around for food or eat in peace, Always kids around me asking stuff.

I still have to do the biopsy but my doctor is pretty convinced I got celiacs. First thing that came to my mind when I heard it, was "oh no what with competitions?"
So I was wondering how any others do it? what about multiple day competitions? do you pack your own food for all these days? I've been to some competitions where you are not allowed to bring your own food (for the other europeans, the telekom dome in Bonn where ECU will be this year is one of these places). and the only things they offer is: pizza, pasta, burgers and sandwiches, nothing gluten free.
how should I handle this? Also I'm a coach and never have to time to look around for food or eat in peace, Always kids around me asking stuff.

pack food. and keep a copy of something from your doctor with you that has your diagnosis on it. normally, if you say its for a medical condition, you're good to go, but with the ever increasing number of people voluntarily going gluten free it's a little harder for people who actually have the disease.

if there are "chain" restaurants you can usually google their menu and check out the ingredients pretty quickly. salads (without croutons) and a simple oil vinegar dressing are always safe or if the dressings come in packets just check the ingredients. protein will probably be the toughest thing to find in a convention center setting, because most things are breaded and fried. or hot dogs that have gluten in them. you can always order burgers without buns. just watch the grill. if it's cross contaminated it won't work (like if the toast the buns on the same grill they cook the burger)

it's not ideal, but you learn to adapt and get creative.

I do not have Celiacs- however both my son and I are allergic to wheat and my allergy ended me in the ER one night after cheer practice. I bring my own food to competitions and have never had an issue bringing it in- they don't want to worry about lawsuits. Be very careful with everything and learn to read labels on EVERYTHING! Feel free to pm me and I can give you tips on adjusting to a GF lifestyle- it's not as hard as you think- Costco will become your friend :)

I have coeliac. I always pack my own food for competitions. Usually I ring the venue a couple of days before the competition and explain my condition, and confirm I can bring food in. I always take the name of the person I speak to so you can tell the door staff that 'Mr X confirmed it would be ok'. I've never had a problem.

That being said, I always make sure to hide a couple of gluten free cereal bars, fruit etc in side pockets and make up bags etc just in case.

If you struggle to have time to eat, I always take a protein shake/soy milk/smoothie with flax in so that I can quickly chug down something if desperate!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Oh and the suggestion above to have a burger out of the bun - be cautious, a lot of burgers and sausage and processed meat generally is bound with breadcrumbs. If it's a grilled chicken breast, yay. A meat patty, not so good.

Other weird things I discovered had gluten in the hard way are soy sauce, some french fry coatings, especially the southern fries style, some milkshakes are thickened with flour...

No venue can deny you bringing your own food if it's for a medical reason. I'm diabetic and run into this frequently. As soon as I say in diabetic they step aside or let go of the snacks they're trying to throw out lol same goes for movie theatres, amusement parks, etc.

I'm allergic to wheat and if you tell people you have a medical reason, they're very quick to accommodate you. I talked to the chef at my school cafeteria and he changed a lot about the way he planned the menu to help me. No one wants to be the reason you get sick. If you do as people are suggesting and bring a doctor's note, I see no way they wouldn't let you bring your own food in.
Feel free to pm if you need any food recommendations :)

thanks for all the advices and ideas! so helpfull. My dietician will be helping me how to deal with it and what I can/cannot eat. But any tasty recipes are always welcome:)

Udi's bread is the best GF bread- and their buns are great too. Costco has a bunch of GF items that are fantastic- they have frozen pizza that just come in cheese but are basically a blank canvas and their pasta is AMAZING!!!

Here's a link- the brownies are to DIE for!!! All the Taste, Without the Gluten! : 22 Crowd Pleasing Gluten Free Dessert Recipes| Spoonful

I make everything gf- if you like asian food- soy sauce has wheat- however you can get GF soy sauce and it's WONDERFUL!!

Go Picnic has a compete line of gluten free meals that need no refrigeration. Ready to Eat Meals on the Go: GoPicnic Shelf Stable Entrees, Meals Ready to Eat & Food To Go

Mommy to CP and BP!
The Fierce Board App!

Oh and Braggs Liquid Aminos is a great soy sauce substitution!!

Mommy to CP and BP!
The Fierce Board App!

Back