High School Change.org Petition Making Cheer A Sport. Please Read!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Hey everyone there is a proposed law currently making its way through the California legislature regarding cheer. I've posted the link. Please read it, sign it, share it... This is so important to cheerleaders throughout the country. Once one state passes the law more will be likely to do so...

Petition · California State Legislature: Make Cheerleading into a Sport C.H.E.E.R.S. Act · Change.org
Be careful... while sports legislation can be great, a lot of people on the Board will tell you that sometimes it is more of a curse. don't let your legislators leave any dangerous loopholes, or take away fun things like Nationals.

How do I avoid putting in my address?

Be careful... while sports legislation can be great, a lot of people on the Board will tell you that sometimes it is more of a curse. don't let your legislators leave any dangerous loopholes, or take away fun things like Nationals.

How do I avoid putting in my address?

I just put in my zip code and it went through.
One of the coaches in our district was worried about this too but to be honest I'd rather lose a Nationals than keep things the way they are. We literally have zero safety equipment and are often left without a place to practice. The old coach had to have the girls practice in the library...

I just put in my zip code and it went through.
One of the coaches in our district was worried about this too but to be honest I'd rather lose a Nationals than keep things the way they are. We literally have zero safety equipment and are often left without a place to practice. The old coach had to have the girls practice in the library...
But will it list the city associated with that zip code?

I think So... It doesn't actually posted all of the petitions (especially if you don't leave a comment)....

Like Official OWECheer said, a lot can go weary while trying to classify cheerleading as a sport in your state, sometimes it is better left as is (but I wish you the best of luck on your journey - no judgement here!).

On another note - you are from California, correct? At a conference I was at this weekend Bill Ahern from UCA talked about how CA & NY have both started spring cheerleading in the form of STUNT. Under title 9, STUNT is classified as a sport in both CA & NY for the spring season, just a fun tidbit. The STUNT twitter (@STUNTthesport) had a bunch of tweets and pictures from both the CA & NY meets this weekend!

Like Official OWECheer said, a lot can go weary while trying to classify cheerleading as a sport in your state, sometimes it is better left as is (but I wish you the best of luck on your journey - no judgement here!).

On another note - you are from California, correct? At a conference I was at this weekend Bill Ahern from UCA talked about how CA & NY have both started spring cheerleading in the form of STUNT. Under title 9, STUNT is classified as a sport in both CA & NY for the spring season, just a fun tidbit. The STUNT twitter (@STUNTthesport) had a bunch of tweets and pictures from both the CA & NY meets this weekend!
I just wish more schools would pick up A&T...

I just wish more schools would pick up A&T...
I would love to see that! Are there any high schools out there who have A&T, wonder how one would go about doing that? I work very closely with the gymnastics coach at my school I coach at - I can just imagine the possibilities!

I would love to see that! Are there any high schools out there who have A&T, wonder how one would go about doing that? I work very closely with the gymnastics coach at my school I coach at - I can just imagine the possibilities!
I haven't heard of many; it seems that STUNT is being pushed at the high school level, and A&T is being pushed at the collegiate level. I'm not sure how one would go about doing that, maybe you can talk to Mary Ann Powers? She's the head A&T coach at Quinnipiac and head of the NCATA. She has a twitter.

I am from California :) I'm definitely going to look into this :)

I haven't heard of many; it seems that STUNT is being pushed at the high school level, and A&T is being pushed at the collegiate level. I'm not sure how one would go about doing that, maybe you can talk to Mary Ann Powers? She's the head A&T coach at Quinnipiac and head of the NCATA. She has a twitter.
STUNT is College and HS. There are just more teams and games for HS which is why you hear so much about it.

I am Mary Ann Powers and I coach Quinnipiac A and T. I am not the head of the NCATA but one of the founding coaches. So great that so many opportunities are being created!

I am Mary Ann Powers and I coach Quinnipiac A and T. I am not the head of the NCATA but one of the founding coaches. So great that so many opportunities are being created!
Hah! I had no idea you had an account on here! It's good to see you.

Back