High School Change.org Petition Making Cheer A Sport. Please Read!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nj is now trying to have cheer a sport.. We do not want to give up nationals, summer practice, camps or fundraising... This would be a wreck for NJ who sends abt 40 teams to UCA alone... I'm sure many others do NCA or Canam or another big one..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nj is now trying to have cheer a sport.. We do not want to give up nationals, summer practice, camps or fundraising... This would be a wreck for NJ who sends abt 40 teams to UCA alone... I'm sure many others do NCA or Canam or another big one..

Probably not helpful, but cheer is a sport in VA (and has been for a long time) and we had summer practices, though not mandatory everyone usually went, as well as went to camps and did fundraising.

Probably not helpful, but cheer is a sport in VA (and has been for a long time) and we had summer practices, though not mandatory everyone usually went, as well as went to camps and did fundraising.

I think every state is a little different, but NJ has specific rules abt out of state comps, practices can not start before mid August and no private fundraising. This all in place for other sports already.. Cheer would have to follow it as well.

I think every state is a little different, but NJ has specific rules abt out of state comps, practices can not start before mid August and no private fundraising. This all in place for other sports already.. Cheer would have to follow it as well.

I think this may be where our states are different. All of our sports practice from day 1 summer to school starting (football, basketball, volleyball, soccer, wrestling). I know some of my students a a rival school who all play pretty competitive scoeer told me that summer fpr them is like a soccer "league" run by the school. Maybe that's a way around it? How do other sports at your school raise the funds (if you don't mind me asking)?

We have a booster club for most sports but... The cheerleaders specifically have to fundraise every dollar to go to nationals. The school only pays for uniforms, and local comps. Usually abt 4 comps
They host 2 competitions to raise money and a few others fund raisers. In nj practice for fall sports can not start until mid August nothing before. Open mat time may be ok but no camp and nothing "mandatory" no choreo no stunt clinics nothing . This is really something that will mess up all the power house teams from jersey... Team Burlington, Hunterdon central. Barnegat, Pinelands. Del Val.. Warren hills, and abt 30 more teams ...

This is what I've been saying to people for years here. So many people want it to be a "sport" until they realize what that means and how that changes EVERYTHING! I would hate to see all of the NJ teams not go to nationals. Our season would be impossible following state sport guidelines.

This is what I've been saying to people for years here. So many people want it to be a "sport" until they realize what that means and how that changes EVERYTHING! I would hate to see all of the NJ teams not go to nationals. Our season would be impossible following state sport guidelines.

Agreed!!!!' [emoji30]

I think maybe our state rules are different. Our football team practices all summer and has a clinic as well (and I know that most schools in the are do)... Our school doesn't pay for anything for the cheerleaders anyways (no uniforms no comp fees... none of it). Thats a bummer that your state rules are so strict. Maybe offer clinics and "encourage" all girls to attend?

Back