All-Star Changing Choeography

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 29, 2014
Is it common for the coaches to change Choreography and positions during the season? My 5 year old has a video of her choreography and she was practicing it this weekend and I said that isn't your part and she told me she didn't do that part anymore and they gave her a new one which has more difficulty. Is this common?

Is it common for the coaches to change Choreography and positions during the season? My 5 year old has a video of her choreography and she was practicing it this weekend and I said that isn't your part and she told me she didn't do that part anymore and they gave her a new one which has more difficulty. Is this common?

Very common. Every team I have ever coached (Youth - Senior) has had a different routine every competition. Sometimes it is a temporary change, sometimes it is permanent, sometimes big change, sometimes very minor. The routine continues to evolve (sometimes harder, sometimes simplified) based on what your coaches feel looks the best. We made changes two weeks after choreo this year because some transitions from section to section weren't fluid enough.

Very typical. I changed my mini team's routine almost every competition last season. As they got better, the routine got harder.

ETA: I wasn't changing the entire routine, just evolving certain parts or switching kids to accommodate new skills, etc.

Yes, and ours usually changes after comp. They are constantly changing, improving the routine, and increasing difficulty.

Pretty sure my cp14 didn't compete the same routine one time last year. At some point on her medium coed team she had 6 different dance spots. Cp16 had at least 4. Choreography will change for every competition most of the time and if you're moving between score sheets and it doesn't change, your coaches don't know what they're doing. That was especially true for jamfest and varsity before this year (thank goodness) since their scoresheets were essentially opposite from each other. I'm so glad they're the same one now, it might reduce some of the routine changing madness in the middle of the season.

Pretty sure my cp14 didn't compete the same routine one time last year. At some point on her medium coed team she had 6 different dance spots. Cp16 had at least 4. Choreography will change for every competition most of the time and if you're moving between score sheets and it doesn't change, your coaches don't know what they're doing. That was especially true for jamfest and varsity before this year (thank goodness) since their scoresheets were essentially opposite from each other. I'm so glad they're the same one now, it might reduce some of the routine changing madness in the middle of the season.
Okay thank you everyone I guess I was underestimating these little minis, I was afraid they wouldn't remember!

Yes @darlingsmomx4, I was going to write that I witnessed my daughter's team routine changing a little for local competitions and radically, for national competitions, especially, NCA... I guess, like everybody else said, the team gets better and must change to accommodate higher intensity levels of your competition... I think, when you see what others are doing that you are competing against, may also make the coaches elevate the level of difficulties too.

I coached a mini team last year, and I changed parts of their routine backstage at competitions. Oops hahaha. My kids were awesome, and pretty good at picking things up quickly so it worked out fine. But I've been changing things all summer since we got our routines. I just redid my youth 2's entire tumbling section, and my junior 1's jump section on Sunday. What they do at showcase might not even resemble what they put on the floor at US Finals. And I'm cool with that. It's all about the progression.

I think it's more common for senior teams. My first senior team I was on the first practice after every competition we would completely scrap the routine and do a new one (I really hated that) I don't agree with it but it's what we did

MY CP's youth 1 routine had major changes after EVERY comp last year. They were top 3rd of the pack chasing a win at most comps and I think sometimes the coach changed something just to change it in hopes it would make a difference. I think that they might have done better if they had been allowed to perfect what they were doing.

I have never had one of my teams (mini-senior) finish a season with the same routine they started with. Our first major changes will start in Dec, after our first 2 comps while we gear up for National season. Routines are constantly evolving. I'd side eye any organization that doesn't improve on their routine throughout the season.

One time, my coaches hated the choreography they paid for, and they changed the whole thing, even the dance. We then saw the choreographer at a competition...awkward.

Back