All-Star Chasing The Ring

• Thread starter Deleted member 11300
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Pardon my ignorance regarding live-away-from-home athletes. Does the athlete contact the gym, does the gym "recruit" the athlete? I've heard some gyms seek out specific athletes and was wondering if anyone here has had their athlete invited to join the dream gym. Do they try out with the masses? Or video? Any insight from coaches or parents would be welcome. Thanks.

In our situation there was no recruitment. I contacted the coach and sent an informal video with his skills to see if there was a reason to fly 1000 miles for tryouts. Only after we got that confirmation did we make plans to travel out there. He was lucky enough to make his "dream team" and the rest is history. He moved out there and is staying with family.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I personally would never send my child away to cheer but that's me. I feel she can have that experience in college. ..but I do see that this is becoming a big trend. .. That leads me back to worlds. It is definitely time for the big gym , small gym split at worlds. With the large gyms becoming more and more true "Allstar" teams .How will the small gyms keep up.IMO

i know this is a really dumb question, but whats the difference and/or examples of big and small gyms when it comes to worlds. cause when i watch worlds im pretty familiar with a lot of teams that compete, and not just the ones that are in the top ten.

i know this is a really dumb question, but whats the difference and/or examples of big and small gyms when it comes to worlds. cause when i watch worlds im pretty familiar with a lot of teams that compete, and not just the ones that are in the top ten.
There are no differences this year. Just differences in team sizes, Small 20, medium 30, large 36.

The current system favors the larger gyms who have hundreds of athletes to choose from. Our gym is bigger this year, but we are only fielding 2 level 5 teams. Restricted 5 and small all senior girl 5.

Cheer is just like life, big corporations dominate the country and big cheer gyms get to cherrypick athletes from around the country. Such is life.

Off topic from the initial topic (I ring chased and I'm proud), but I like where the conversation is headed. I'm 500% in favor of the big gym/small gym split. Works like a charm at UCA high school nationals: by school size. Like large gyms, big schools have a massive student body to handpick athletes from. It's comparing apples to oranges. If you watch DII HS national champions, they're just as good as DI and can hang, finally. The first year of the split, there was a CLEAR difference between DI and DII skill. It may be a "placebo" effect, but once the schools realized they had a chance to actually win, it gave them enough motivation to hang like the big dogs. Really good move for HS cheer in general, still hoping for the same in allstar.

Off topic from the initial topic (I ring chased and I'm proud), but I like where the conversation is headed. I'm 500% in favor of the big gym/small gym split. Works like a charm at UCA high school nationals: by school size. Like large gyms, big schools have a massive student body to handpick athletes from. It's comparing apples to oranges. If you watch DII HS national champions, they're just as good as DI and can hang, finally. The first year of the split, there was a CLEAR difference between DI and DII skill. It may be a "placebo" effect, but once the schools realized they had a chance to actually win, it gave them enough motivation to hang like the big dogs. Really good move for HS cheer in general, still hoping for the same in allstar.

Apples to apples would be UCA All Star Nationals having small gym divisions. (They do.)

Have you ever thought that those big gyms have earned their title?:confused: I just think that the big gyms have a large talent pool to choose from because of their hardwork... if its good coaching/business decisions etc. If a smaller gym wants to win they should have to work as hard as the other gyms have worker to get to that spot they deserve. I'm not against the split im just "split" on my decision on the "split"... lol just my thoughts.:help: feel free to prove me wrong cause im probably not right

I personally would never send my child away to cheer but that's me. I feel she can have that experience in college. ..but I do see that this is becoming a big trend. .. That leads me back to worlds. It is definitely time for the big gym , small gym split at worlds. With the large gyms becoming more and more true "Allstar" teams .How will the small gyms keep up.IMO
good coaching, business decisions, molding athletes, they may not be able to catch up fast but its possible, remember a competitive sport is not a competitive if everyones a winner...

Back