High School Cheer Camp

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 10, 2013
My school is having cheer camp hosted at our school, it's not mandatory but since UCA teaches us the extreme routine, hip hop dance, new band dances, and cheers we use all season I didn't think it was fair that some girls are going to better themselves while others just don't feel like it. So the camp is going to be more for the girls who are going and then we will have to go back at the start of the season and teach them everything. Our captains aren't doing a good job at getting people to go. Any opinions?

Honestly, that is something for your coach to work out. She needs to make it mandatory.

While I know camp is an expense, I make it mandatory, and we go away, because I know parents will always be like Suzie has a dentist appointment and Jenny has to babysit. And then at night they will be everywhere with their friends and boyfriends, etc.

My rule is no camp, no competition on varsity and for JV, no camp, you must re-earn your spot.

Like most decisions, it's up to your coach! However, it's helpful to know the definite number of girls attending before camp begins. During private camps, UCA keeps a 15:1 camper to instructor ratio, so if girls decide to come at the last minute, the camp may be short staffed. This ratio is important for your safety, so there are the proper amount of spotters during stunts and whatnot. Also, more campers = more instructors= more fun! Just make sure there is open communication between the coach, instructor, and state director!

(Also, this post is not reflective of UCA or Varsity. Last summer, the ratio was 15:1 but it may have changed. I'm taking the summer off as an instructor & did not attend this summer's training. Just offering personal advice to make sure you get the best possible experience at camp!)

Good luck & have fun this summer!

If the coach cannot make the camp mandatory (maybe due to the school district or because it is too late now, as she's already said it is not for this year), perhaps suggest to her that you give out DVDs with the material from camp that needs to be learned before the start of the school year. Those that choose not to go to camp will still be held accountable for the materials, and it is up to them to learn off the DVD. Have a materials quiz at the first practice back..... something is called out and the coach can tap team members who know the material perfect to sit down after 2-3 repetitions, with those that don't know it having to repeat it until it is right (if it is still not right after numerous times, they don't get checked off). Those that don't know their stuff do not get checked off, and will get demerits/consequences/extra conditioning, etc. etc. Additionally, they will get tested every practice until they get all of their materials checked off (each practice they don't know their stuff = increasing demerits/consequences). A good idea to pitch to your coach, so those that do the hard work to learn over summer don't get punished for those not working as hard and you don't waste time reteaching.

If the coach cannot make the camp mandatory (maybe due to the school district or because it is too late now, as she's already said it is not for this year), perhaps suggest to her that you give out DVDs with the material from camp that needs to be learned before the start of the school year. Those that choose not to go to camp will still be held accountable for the materials, and it is up to them to learn off the DVD. Have a materials quiz at the first practice back..... something is called out and the coach can tap team members who know the material perfect to sit down after 2-3 repetitions, with those that don't know it having to repeat it until it is right (if it is still not right after numerous times, they don't get checked off). Those that don't know their stuff do not get checked off, and will get demerits/consequences/extra conditioning, etc. etc. Additionally, they will get tested every practice until they get all of their materials checked off (each practice they don't know their stuff = increasing demerits/consequences). A good idea to pitch to your coach, so those that do the hard work to learn over summer don't get punished for those not working as hard and you don't waste time reteaching.

This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I make camp mandatory, but depending on the school district they may or may not allow that. This is the next best thing so that you aren't spending 4-5 practices teaching them material that they CHOSE to not learn at camp. All of my cheerleaders are required to pass a materials test of all the cheers and sidelines before they are allowed to cheer at a game as well. If they miss 5 games due to not knowing the material then they no longer have a spot on my squad. It sounds harsh but if they are not willing to put forth the time and effort then they are just weighing down the team. Talk to your coach and offer some suggestions that have been mentioned.

Back