High School Cheer Captain Application

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 21, 2012
As our captain application we have to write our coaches a letter about what we have contributed to BHS cheer, what our leadership style is and how we envision next year as a captain and/or senior leader.

I want to make this absolutely perfect, so any constructive criticism is welcome!

"Dear Michelle and Marit,

Before this year if you asked who wanted to be cheer captain, I, as well as many others would have raised my hand. Then, I would have my hand raised for all the wrong reasons, maybe because I liked the title or because I wanted to be in charge. If you were to ask that very same question today, my hand would still shoot up in the air, but for better reasons.

As gymnastics captain I learned how much responsibility being a captain is, and I’m sure being cheer captain is much harder. Through this experience I have a new perspective about the logistics of what goes into running a team. I witnessed and became part of the difficult decisions you hear about. Through this experience I respect and appreciate my coaches even more.

As captain, I helped Stephanie with endless tasks such as organizing uniforms, keeping people moving during clean up, and organizing carpools. I helped the team by leading warm ups and staying positive through conditioning. This molded me into a true leader, I now am more confident speaking out to the team and I have become more proactive I reaching out to new teammates. I never thought of these tasks as a burden; I feel privileged having this opportunity to lead. I now viewed the team dynamic differently and as a person, I changed. As a leader I want this group of girls to appreciate every moment of work you coaches put into this program.

The past two years of my cheerleading career at Ballard I have contributed more than just tumbling and new signs for comp. I have been able to help the team when someone was hurt by stepping in two weeks before state and by teaching dance parts to my replacement when I was hurt. I always try to be productive at practices, by either stretching, doing jumps or even counting for a group. I work hard regardless of the day I’ve had and continuously strive to keep a positive attitude.

At the gymnastics banquet, a woman came up to me and introduced herself as a parent. She stated simply that I was an inspiration to her daughter and that I helped her feel welcome on the team. This would mean mounds to anyone who heard this, but for me to make someone feel that welcome, that they would go home and tell their parents? It helped me realize that the change and growth of others affects you.

Throughout my first two years on gymnastics and cheer I was bullied and I did not feel welcome, and I dreaded going to practice. The captains did their job but never went the extra mile to make everyone feel included. No one should ever feel that way, especially coming from his or her captains or senior leaders.

When I was asked what would I do differently, I said I would included everyone equally to make sure each and every person enjoyed their time on the team. I didn’t feel like my time as captain could impact someone like that. As cheer captain and/or a senior leader I have a strong belief I can make everyone feel welcome and wanted on the team by simply checking in on each team member and promoting team bonding.

When I think of leaders I think of role models. As a leader my style would be to lead by example, to always try my best but never hold myself back because of my mistakes. I want to accept mistakes and move forward, to progress. Each year is a clean slate. I want to inspire everyone to work hard and to enjoy cheer as much as I do. Next year I will act as a leader, captain or not, I will help to provide the coaches and visiting coaches with the utmost respect. I will ask opinions and input to get the best results for our team.

I’m far from perfect, but my dedication and enthusiasm can help lead this team towards becoming a stronger cheer squad and a stronger group of people. I see a lot of promise held within this team, and if I’m chosen as captain this squad’s full potential will be realized. Cheerleading, to me, isn’t just about supporting the teams at Ballard. It’s about coming together to achieve something more. It’s about being a leader inside and outside of our school. Finally, it’s about being a role model for that little girl in the crowd you once were.

Sincerely,
Riley "

Riley, sounds like you are a great candidate for captain! My suggestions are: Check your punctuation. If you can take out the word "that" and the sentence still makes sense, remove it. You said you were bullied. What does that mean? Did someone say mean things to you? Were you ignored? I wouldn't use "bullied" - just say what happened in a few words. In the last paragraph, you write that your "dedication and enthusiasm can help"... Take out "can" and replace it with "will" because you will make these things happen!! Good luck!!

Back