Cheer Routine Music

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 19, 2012
My 7 yr old is on a mini 1 team. They didn't receive their routine music until Wednesday and competed this Saturday. So one day of practice with music. Needless to say, their performance was a disaster. I am scheduling a conference with the gym owner to discuss this. What's the norm for getting cheer music? If your first competition was 12/15, when would you expect to have music?

Ideally u would want to get your music earlier especially with young kids. BUT as long as the kids know the counts and have counts to everything it really won't matter. The real issue is when coaches don't give clear counts and kids just try to do it with the music. I usually won't let my minis listen to music until they r confident enough in the counts that they will basically ignore the music and count the routine. Eventually they will be able learn the music and sing along etc like the bigger kids but this rarely ever happens at the beginning of the year. They need to learn to COUNT first! One tip is to let them do their routine to different music, u have to teach minis not to respond (change the count, ignore technique). When they hear the song.

Back