All-Star Cheer Tryout Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Have You Ever Switched Gyms?

• Total voters
Jan 3, 2012
so this isn't the typical "i don't know what to do at tryouts" kind of post.
Here's what's going on:
I'm about to switch gymsbut I won't tryout at the 'new' gym until June 16th (individually). I'm waiting so long so that k can get my level3 skills back (running tucks), and better jumps and conditioning. But I'm going to be "homeless" for about a month (or gym less)So, here are my questions:

1. My toe touch is currently at a 180 (degrees) but I have no clue how to get them higher! I have ankle weight and I'm going to start jumping with them. Do you have any other ideas?

2. Running tucks are my kryptonite. Here's what I mean: I can land standing 2 Back handsprings to a tuck, but I can't round off back handspring tuck to save my life and God forbid a Roundoff Tuck. It's the "set" that's so hard for me. I don't know if I'm just subconsciously scared or what. Help!

3. This is my first time going to a new gym, how can they determine if I'm a good dancer, etc. if they don't have any previous knowledge of me?

4. Any other advice, going into a new gym and getting a "clean slate" would help!

so this isn't the typical "i don't know what to do at tryouts" kind of post.
Here's what's going on:
I'm about to switch gymsbut I won't tryout at the 'new' gym until June 16th (individually). I'm waiting so long so that k can get my level3 skills back (running tucks), and better jumps and conditioning. But I'm going to be "homeless" for about a month (or gym less)So, here are my questions:

1. My toe touch is currently at a 180 (degrees) but I have no clue how to get them higher! I have ankle weight and I'm going to start jumping with them. Do you have any other ideas?

2. Running tucks are my kryptonite. Here's what I mean: I can land standing 2 Back handsprings to a tuck, but I can't round off back handspring tuck to save my life and God forbid a Roundoff Tuck. It's the "set" that's so hard for me. I don't know if I'm just subconsciously scared or what. Help!

3. This is my first time going to a new gym, how can they determine if I'm a good dancer, etc. if they don't have any previous knowledge of me?

4. Any other advice, going into a new gym and getting a "clean slate" would help!
I can help you with one and 3.
1) Do leg lifts. First get used to doing them without ankle weights, then with 1 to 2 lbs on each ankle.

3) The gym will probably give you a teach you a dance before or during tryouts.

For running tucks, I would get feedback from previous coach about what you can do to physically work on the skill. If there is a mental component, such as being scared or not confident, work on positive thinking and visualizing the skill. If you have a month, and you think it's a mental challenge, you may want to check out our webcamp (online mental toughness training) to get more support. Message me if you want more info.

I can help you with one and 3.
1) Do leg lifts. First get used to doing them without ankle weights, then with 1 to 2 lbs on each ankle.

3) The gym will probably give you a teach you a dance before or during tryouts.

This will be an individual tryout. Their tryouts will already have passed by then so they wont teach me a dance :(

1. Please do not jump with ankle weights. The added impact on your ankles can lead to injuries. If you want to have better jumps, you will need a mix of strengthening your legs as well as stretching, as you need the hip flexibility to have your legs rotate up and back but also the muscles to lift your legs up there and snap back down. Leg lifts and lots of jump repetitions
2. It is tough to determine what the root of the problem is without seeing both tumbling passes (standing vs. running). The most common thing with tucks though is either some sort of form break in which your power is zapped, or throwing the head back. Do you have a youtube video of these passes possibly, so we could get a better look at the form?
3. They may have you show them an eight count or two of a dance, or they may just wait until you are placed in an age/level group before determining that. You will be placed mostly on tumbling skills and age first. Don't expect to get placed on a team just because of dance or performance or leadership etc because you are correct: the coaches don't know you yet. They don't know how you react to pressure or if they can count on you to be your best at competitions or how fast you learn. That all comes with time.

1. Please do not jump with ankle weights. The added impact on your ankles can lead to injuries. If you want to have better jumps, you will need a mix of strengthening your legs as well as stretching, as you need the hip flexibility to have your legs rotate up and back but also the muscles to lift your legs up there and snap back down. Leg lifts and lots of jump repetitions
2. It is tough to determine what the root of the problem is without seeing both tumbling passes (standing vs. running). The most common thing with tucks though is either some sort of form break in which your power is zapped, or throwing the head back. Do you have a youtube video of these passes possibly, so we could get a better look at the form?
3. They may have you show them an eight count or two of a dance, or they may just wait until you are placed in an age/level group before determining that. You will be placed mostly on tumbling skills and age first. Don't expect to get placed on a team just because of dance or performance or leadership etc because you are correct: the coaches don't know you yet. They don't know how you react to pressure or if they can count on you to be your best at competitions or how fast you learn. That all comes with time.
I have seen teams use ankle weights for jump drills (not saying that that makes it okay, since the same logic could be used for poor tumbling technique), and so I figured that injury could be avoided even with their use. My mistake.

Back