OT Cheerleaders At The Olympics?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jul 21, 2012
Have any of you watched any of the in door volleyball? Well if you have not they have these cheerleaders. i mean they are kinda like high school cheerleaders (ones that dont stunt) they have pom poms and dance and stuff its kinda like at a football game lol :) Random

Ive seen them for several sports. They dont say cheers but they clap and do dances.They are just there to keep the crowd watching.

2nm3s5j.jpg

They stunt.
However, when I was watching them on the sidelines during the game, I was not impressed... They could have been much more sharper and entertaining. And when they weren't dancing or clapping they were standing every which way, looking at their nails, etc.
I feel like when you're cheering at the freaking OLYMPICS you should be absolutely perfect! Like the best cheer team cheering for the best athletes in the world. Maybe I'm just used to having strict sideline policies.

They stunt.
However, when I was watching them on the sidelines during the game, I was not impressed... They could have been much more sharper and entertaining. And when they weren't dancing or clapping they were standing every which way, looking at their nails, etc.
I feel like when you're cheering at the freaking OLYMPICS you should be absolutely perfect! Like the best cheer team cheering for the best athletes in the world. Maybe I'm just used to having strict sideline policies.

Sideline really isn't a British cheer skill.

Sideline really isn't a British cheer skill.

I know, but like I said, it's the Olympics. I would think that the girls that are cheering there would want to look good. I'm not expecting them to have the sideline skills of LSU, but smiling and standing straight isn't really a skill set. Like you never hear of a Jamaican ping pong player winning gold, but I'm sure they don't think "Well, no one expects me to do well, I don't have to try very hard." Like I said earlier, they're cheering for the best athletes in the world.
I'm not trying to hate on them, and I think that it's great that they're there and stunting. It's helpful to get the name of REAL cheerleading out there (not the dancers in tiny clothes you see during beach volleyball, for example, that get called cheerleaders). But if cheerleading is going to be put on such a big, public, world stage, it should look really good.

I know, but like I said, it's the Olympics. I would think that the girls that are cheering there would want to look good. I'm not expecting them to have the sideline skills of LSU, but smiling and standing straight isn't really a skill set. Like you never hear of a Jamaican ping pong player winning gold, but I'm sure they don't think "Well, no one expects me to do well, I don't have to try very hard." Like I said earlier, they're cheering for the best athletes in the world.
I'm not trying to hate on them, and I think that it's great that they're there and stunting. It's helpful to get the name of REAL cheerleading out there (not the dancers in tiny clothes you see during beach volleyball, for example, that get called cheerleaders). But if cheerleading is going to be put on such a big, public, world stage, it should look really good.
The problem is (and I don't agree with this) that British cheerleaders have NEVER done sideline and have grown up believing that all stars is the only way. They don't like 'waving poms and cheering' and think that cheerleaders that do this aren't 'real' cheerleaders. They don't know any different than just stunts and tumbles and many are very negative towards actual CHEERleading. I've read so much on British cheer forums saying how cheerleaders that stand on the side aren't real etc etc. They don't want to do sideline cheer for the fear that the British public will assume that is what cheerleading is in the UK.
So it isn't a case of they haven't done it and aren't good at it, it's that they don't want to be remembered for waving poms so put very little effort into getting the crowd pumped up. We as a nation are also not used to cheerleaders at sporting events so there isn't much use for sideline cheerleaders.

The problem is (and I don't agree with this) that British cheerleaders have NEVER done sideline and have grown up believing that all stars is the only way. They don't like 'waving poms and cheering' and think that cheerleaders that do this aren't 'real' cheerleaders. They don't know any different than just stunts and tumbles and many are very negative towards actual CHEERleading. I've read so much on British cheer forums saying how cheerleaders that stand on the side aren't real etc etc. They don't want to do sideline cheer for the fear that the British public will assume that is what cheerleading is in the UK.
So it isn't a case of they haven't done it and aren't good at it, it's that they don't want to be remembered for waving poms so put very little effort into getting the crowd pumped up. We as a nation are also not used to cheerleaders at sporting events so there isn't much use for sideline cheerleaders.

I'm sorry to hear that. I love all star and I love sideline, but I hate how their can be such a huge discrimination against sideline. I think that maybe if British sideline cheering evolved more where there would be more school teams to have competitions it wouldn't be so bad, but even in the US I'm still discriminated against. My team and I are looked down upon because we cheer at games, even though we've been to national competitions and won.

Varsity has sent a team to London that will be cheering for Basketball Medal Games.

if they haven't done sideline before/don't want to do it, then why are they doing it? :confused:

Back