All-Star Cheerleaders With Eating Disorders?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That is exactly what happened to my cp! She was on a youth 3 team and her bases were always calling her fat(both by the way outweighed her by 20-30 lbs) and every time she would come out of a stunt at practice they would whine she was too heavy. Finally they dropped her on her face from a full extension and did not attempt to catch her! I hit the roof. She came off the mat and said they did it on purpose because she was too heavy. I went to the coaches and begged them to take her the stunt group and even told them I did not care if she did not fly on that team. I had to take my cp to the dr so he could tell her that she was not fat that she was actually in the 50% for height and weight and that she also has little to no body fat! People need to teach their kids that calling people fat can do permanent damage! My 9 year old is always talking about her weight and it makes me sad.
this is absolutely terrible! from what i can see in your avatar you daughter is a beautiful girl and is FAR from fat! don't let anyone ever tell her otherwise. people who have the nerve to tell this to someone disgust me beyond belief they have no idea the damage they can cause. tell your daughter everyday how amazing she looks and that she is NOT fat. i wish someone would have been there to tell me this. my anorexia was brought on by myself and the distorted image i saw when i looked in the mirror but the people that are anorexic because of people telling them they are fat, i feel worse for them then i do for myself. please make sure your daughter knows that she is beautiful just the way she is.

Yes that is my baby! You are too sweet and I wish all cheerleaders thought like you!
Your cp and mine look similar in body size/shape. My cp's one base at the beginning of the season always told her she was heavy, and it started to get to her until I had a talk with her and the girl that was saying it. The girl didn't mean it in a mean way, she's actually friends w/ my cp. She meant it that she was surprised by it because my cp was so skinny. When I explained to them both how muscle weighs more, and the only thing that matters is that she has the strength to pull her stunts and she (meaning the base) has the strength to hold her up, they seemed to understand each other and it was never mentioned again. It did have some last effects though. She will freak out once in awhile when something doesn't fit (she doesn't see that she's grown almost 4 inches from last year!) and in her other sport, they do weigh them, but not them specifically (she races quarter midget cars and they weight the car and driver after every race for tech and safety reasons) and she freaks out because my hubby has had to put less weight in the car this year than he did last year. When I sat down and showed her the greatest supermodels were as tall and lanky as she is, and how height makes a BIG difference in how some one looks at one weight as opposed to someone else at the same weight, she seemed to understand a little more than it just being "mom said". As far as who's saying that your cp-I would bet you my bank account that they have some body image issues themselves and are taking it out on your cp out of jealousy. I also hope the coaches read them the riot act. No one, especially a young, impressionable girl needs to EVER hear that sort of thing. She's a beautiful girl, no one has any right to make her think otherwise.

this is absolutely terrible! from what i can see in your avatar you daughter is a beautiful girl and is FAR from fat! don't let anyone ever tell her otherwise. people who have the nerve to tell this to someone disgust me beyond belief they have no idea the damage they can cause. tell your daughter everyday how amazing she looks and that she is NOT fat. i wish someone would have been there to tell me this. my anorexia was brought on by myself and the distorted image i saw when i looked in the mirror but the people that are anorexic because of people telling them they are fat, i feel worse for them then i do for myself. please make sure your daughter knows that she is beautiful just the way she is.

Your cp and mine look similar in body size/shape. My cp's one base at the beginning of the season always told her she was heavy, and it started to get to her until I had a talk with her and the girl that was saying it. The girl didn't mean it in a mean way, she's actually friends w/ my cp. She meant it that she was surprised by it because my cp was so skinny. When I explained to them both how muscle weighs more, and the only thing that matters is that she has the strength to pull her stunts and she (meaning the base) has the strength to hold her up, they seemed to understand each other and it was never mentioned again. It did have some last effects though. She will freak out once in awhile when something doesn't fit (she doesn't see that she's grown almost 4 inches from last year!) and in her other sport, they do weigh them, but not them specifically (she races quarter midget cars and they weight the car and driver after every race for tech and safety reasons) and she freaks out because my hubby has had to put less weight in the car this year than he did last year. When I sat down and showed her the greatest supermodels were as tall and lanky as she is, and how height makes a BIG difference in how some one looks at one weight as opposed to someone else at the same weight, she seemed to understand a little more than it just being "mom said". As far as who's saying that your cp-I would bet you my bank account that they have some body image issues themselves and are taking it out on your cp out of jealousy. I also hope the coaches read them the riot act. No one, especially a young, impressionable girl needs to EVER hear that sort of thing. She's a beautiful girl, no one has any right to make her think otherwise.

Thank you for your sweet comments and yes the coaches let them know what they were doing was wrong! She still talks about her weight alot but she has decided to eat healthy (eats a ton of veggies and fruits) which is ok but I still tempt her from time to time lol. I always pray for young girls with bad body images! I wish they could see how beautiful they really are!!
@cheergirl4444 I bet you are perfect the way you are!!! Stay strong!

i no longer cheer, but when i was i was almost less body conscious. i was never happy with my weight but my muscular figure wasn't as awkward for me because other cheerleaders had it too. but, i stopped cheering in december and i've lost 30 pounds because i can't stand having all the muscle. i don't need biceps, or big tumbling thighs anymore and all i basically care about it getting rid of it all.

so i would never say i have an eating disorder, more like disordered eating, and leaving cheer just made it worse.

I use to have one. I wouldn't eat for days before competitions, even skipping meals the day before practice to try and make sure I didn't have any water weight. It really sunk in when i passed out during practice that my weight is a number and doesn't define me. I'm healthy, I'm active. My BMI is around 22, And my weight is mostly muscle. I just had to accept that I'm an athlete and I'll always be on the heavier side, But do to muscle.

I use to have one. I wouldn't eat for days before competitions, even skipping meals the day before practice to try and make sure I didn't have any water weight. It really sunk in when i passed out during practice.
I used to do this too, I still skip meals before practice, but now I've started eating before competition because I passed out at practice and almost competition...But, do you consider what you have an eating disorder?

I used to do this too, I still skip meals before practice, but now I've started eating before competition because I passed out at practice and almost competition...But, do you consider what you have an eating disorder?
well what's the reasoning to why you skip meals before practice?
is it because you just don't exercise well on a full stomach? or is it because you are conscious about how you look and your weight?

well what's the reasoning to why you skip meals before practice?
is it because you just don't exercise well on a full stomach? or is it because you are conscious about how you look and your weight?
Not the way I look, I just don't want to feel heavy to my bases.

you probably think you feel heavy, but it doesn't affect how high a basket goes or how big of a pop they give you for a full down. My flyer came into practice one day coming back from a buffet, she said she felt heavy but she didnt feel different at all! Don't worry, of the bases are telling your that your too heavy then you need to let your coach know.

i would said that's like a slight eating disorder, or even the start of one!
i assure you - it will not make any difference to your weight whether you eat or not right before a practice!
You're only hurting yourself!

you probably think you feel heavy, but it doesn't affect how high a basket goes or how big of a pop they give you for a full down. My flyer came into practice one day coming back from a buffet, she said she felt heavy but she didnt feel different at all! Don't worry, of the bases are telling your that your too heavy then you need to let your coach know.
They don't, they tell me I'm light when I ask. But, i think they just say that so I don't feel bad lol. I have practice every other day and the days I don't have practice I eat a ton, so I know I don't have an eating disorder, I love to eat lol just not before someone has to lift me up.

They don't, they tell me I'm light when I ask. But, i think they just say that so I don't feel bad lol. I have practice every other day and the days I don't have practice I eat a ton, so I know I don't have an eating disorder, I love to eat lol just not before someone has to lift me up.

well at least you are eating! Don't feel self concious about your weight! maybe the bases needed to gain a little more muscle :p you are just fine! no need to starve yourself before practice, it will only make you weaker! If you ever have any problems just message me:) I'm here for anyone/ anytime.

i have always been over weight from when i was like 5 years old. i have been called ever name in the book. my brothers wouldnt help either they just contributed to it and it hurt me so much more then the kids at school. ive had guys say to me "you are really pretty BUT your to chunky for me". i havent just heard it once either. all-star cheer has helped me alot because i have realized you can be an amazing level 5 cheerleading and be around 150 pounds maybe even heavier. also my coachs are really supportive and accept everyone for how they are and push you to your fullest and makes everyone feel the same. i still get really upset when i see other girls wearing sports bras, cute tank top, clothes, etc.... and knowing i could never fit into that or look good in it or thinking people will be talking behind my back for the way i looked. i have tryed really hard to lose weight and not for anyone but just for me, to have more confidence or to feel good about myself, but its just so hard for me since i am only 16. i try so hard to not to have what people say bother me but how could i let all these hurtful words go right trough me. i have also thought many times about skipping meals or only eating celery since it has 0 calories but i could never bring myself to do it for more then a few days.

i have always been over weight from when i was like 5 years old. i have been called ever name in the book. my brothers wouldnt help either they just contributed to it and it hurt me so much more then the kids at school. ive had guys say to me "you are really pretty BUT your to chunky for me". i havent just heard it once either. all-star cheer has helped me alot because i have realized you can be an amazing level 5 cheerleading and be around 150 pounds maybe even heavier. also my coachs are really supportive and accept everyone for how they are and push you to your fullest and makes everyone feel the same. i still get really upset when i see other girls wearing sports bras, cute tank top, clothes, etc.... and knowing i could never fit into that or look good in it or thinking people will be talking behind my back for the way i looked. i have tryed really hard to lose weight and not for anyone but just for me, to have more confidence or to feel good about myself, but its just so hard for me since i am only 16. i try so hard to not to have what people say bother me but how could i let all these hurtful words go right trough me. i have also thought many times about skipping meals or only eating celery since it has 0 calories but i could never bring myself to do it for more then a few days.
ohhhh i would've slapped him!

Back