All-Star Cheerleading A Sport? This Is Not What You Think...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 29, 2010
Hi, so I know that this question has been repeated so many times on Fierceboard, and I am sort of a newbie (I have been a member for a while, but I do not post much) but I was wondering if someone could help me answer a few questions that I have or point me in the right direction with this issue. I hope that this thread doesn't annoy/bug some of you, as I know that it can get annoying when the same thread is repeated so many times.

I am very confused if all-star cheerleading is considered a sport, if college cheerleading is considered a sport, and if high school cheerleading is considered a sport. I also hear that it depends on the state for each one. I also was wondering if there any articles/resources/industry leaders and organizations that govern this to use as I need this information for my senior project.

I know there have been countless threads on this, so I was wondering if there was one or two in particular to look at. I find it very confusing and I was wondering if there is a simple explanation for this complicated issue.

Any help is appreciated!

College cheer: Check out Acrobatics and Tumbling teams (NCATA -- thencata.org) and STUNT teams (collegestunt.org)
NCATA is recognized as a Title IX sport. STUNT is trying to get to that same status.

High School cheer varies by state. NY was one of the most recent to deem cheerleading a sport. Check out this article:
New York State Board Of Regents Deems Cheerleading A Sport « CBS New York

Last I read both STUNT and NCATA were recently denied being able to be an official sport for another 5 or so years.

Last I read both STUNT and NCATA were recently denied being able to be an official sport for another 5 or so years.
So what's going to happen to all of the kids on A&T scholarships?

Also, allstar is definitely a sport, and will the new unified scoresheet being piloted this season things should help, because both scholastic and all star teams compete with JamBrands and Varsiry.

Scholastic competitive cheer is also definitely a sport, but due to budget cuts and many ADs/principals' personal biases against cheerleading.

So what's going to happen to all of the kids on A&T scholarships?

Also, allstar is definitely a sport, and will the new unified scoresheet being piloted this season things should help, because both scholastic and all star teams compete with JamBrands and Varsiry.

Scholastic competitive cheer is also definitely a sport, but due to budget cuts and many ADs/principals' personal biases against cheerleading.

All it means is the numbers dont officially count towards Title IX numbers and there aren't really set standards they have to follow. Everyone still keeps their scholarship.

thank you guys for your responses they have helped alot! so would you say all-star cheerleading is officially considered a sport?

thank you guys for your responses they have helped alot! so would you say all-star cheerleading is officially considered a sport?
I think it's hard to say something is officially a sport if it is not affiliated with a school and can't have title IX to back it up. So it's really just a matter of opinion. By definition I think most people would consider it a sport, but you can't really say it's official.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Back