"cheerleading Is A Sport" - School Project; Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Is cheerleading athletic?

• Total voters
Apr 11, 2011
I'm conducting a survey for my college Statistics class for my end of the semester project, in an attempt to prove my alternative hypothesis that cheerleaders are athletes! Could you take 30 seconds to respond to the survey ...

1. What is your BMI? If you dont know, what is your height and weight? http://www.bmi-calculator.net/
2. Do you personal think you are in shape, or physically fit?
3. What is athletic about competitive cheerleading?
4. Your age, Male or Female
5. What gym/what area are you from?
6. How long have you cheered? Have you done another sport?

Thank you

Because I am bored I will help you out here :)

1. BMI is between 18.5 and 24.9 (normal range)
2. I personally do think I am in shape, I work really hard to maintain a good healthy weight and to stay in shape! Its really important to me.
3. Competetive cheerleading should definitely be considered athletic. It involves gymnastics (tumbling) which is flexibility and strength and skill combined, stunting with people (lifting) which increases strength, and so many other aspects. Competetive cheerleading take a lot of skill, timing, flexibility, strength, and focus to acheive every aspect of a routine that needs to be done.
4. I am a 17 yr old Female
5. I am from Maryland, cheered high school for 4 years and have been assosiated with the allstar world for a number of years. No specific gym currently.
6. I have cheered for 7 years. Before I had played soccer but I naturally gravitated towards cheerleading and gymnastics when I was 10!

Answering for my cp:

1. 22.1
2. yes, though of course she looks at that little bitty pinch on her stomach and says "I'm a fattie"
3. Strength to support her weight in tumbling and her flyers in stunting; conditioning including running, crunches and push ups; flexibility and agility and coordination - demonstrated in dancing and tumbling and jumping; endurance demonstrated in getting through 2 and 3 hour practices (especially when you consider how many of those that are close to comps are full-out much of the time)
4. 17 year old female
5. Devilrays, Cartersville GA
6. 3 years (late start :()

Good luck in sadistics -oops, statistics

Good luck in sadistics -oops, statistics

Yes, SADISTICS...

For my cp:

1. BMI is 17.97
2. Physically fit
3. Coordination for tumbling and it takes strength and balance to stunt.
4. 11, Female
5. VA
6. 2 years. Yes, gymnastics.

1. 21.79
2. I am definitely more in shape than most people my age, lol...but I could be in better shape!
3. What isn't athletic about competitive cheerleading? There isn't anything that isn't physically draining. Stunting requires a lot of strength, not just simply being able to hold another person, but to be able to complete difficult sequences. Tumbling takes a lot of arm, leg and abdominal strength. Endurance is key as well.
4. 27 year old Female.
5. East Coast Majestics, Linthicum, MD
6. I cheered in high school, and now I've been cheering for 3 year on Level 5 and 6 teams for ECM (no cheerleading team at my college, was on the Dance Team instead).
-I played softball from 5-16 and then again as an adult.
-I played soccer for my high school and college.
-I swam on a team from 12-14.

1. between 18.5-24.9
2. i would say i am in shape
3. we need strength, balance, flexibility. we need stamina to get through a routine. almost everything about cheerleading is athletic.
4. 17, female
5. NY
6. 11 years. i played softball from 6-10 years old and then i played lacrosse from 10-16 years old.

1. 15.15
2. yes, i would say i am
3. stunting, jumping and tumbling you need to have a good stamina for the routine
4. 14 yrs, female
5. VA
6. cheered for 4 years i did gymnastics for 4 years before that

1.18.5 and 24.9
2. Fairly. More during competition season when I condition two times a week.
3. Tumbling- We incorporate exhausting Gymnastics into routines along with crazy Tosses and stunts. I mean, have you seen Cheer Extreme's pyramid?!?!!?! It's freaking amazing. Jumps are tiring- don't even get me started... ugghhh
4. Turning 14 next Friday :)
5. Northeast, FL. Go Flyers <3 (An soon to be knights! {hopefully :D})
6. Nine years! Almosstt ten. (I did it at a VERY early age hahaha)

1. between 18.5 & 24.9 (normal weight)
2. yes i think i'm in shape/physically fit thanks to cheerleading
3. everything. you need to have endurance, flexibility, strength, coordination, & more. it's very physically demanding.
4. 15, female
5. xtreme cheer ct (connecticut)
6. 3 years. yes tennis, swimming, soccer, gymnastics, track, volleyball i literally tried everything until i fell in love with cheer<3

1. 18.1
2. I believe I am fit, and I work hard and TRY to eat good to maintain it.
3. EVERYTHING! 2:30 minutes of non stop action; like to see you try.
4. 14 almost 15!
5. Can't you tell? Hah, Rays <3
6. I did gymnastics since I was 5, started cheer a few years ago. Cheer is much more tiring then gymnastics in my honest opinion!

1. 20.8
2. Yes, I train over 12 hours a week.
3. The training hours, including warm up(we run as a team) after practice conditioning(crunches, pushups, leg lifts, cardio) Jumping, the endurance needed to completely perform a routine, strength needed for tumbling and stunting.
4. 14, Female
5. Orlando Allstars, Orlando, FL
6. I was a competitive gymnast for 8 years and I have been doing allstar competitive cheerleading for 4 now.

1. 18.36
2. yes, I work out everyday.
3. everything, you need great stamina and endurance in order to complete the routine.
4. 18, female.
5. Maryland Twisters
6. I have been cheering for 11 years now. I use to play soccer and gymnastics.

Back