Choreography Newbie

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 6, 2016
To all of you coaches out there... I am currently working on my first routine! I have worked with choreographers in the past but now I get the chance to actually work on my own ideas so I am thrilled and can't wait to get started. I coach a mini level 1 so I know what they can and can't do in a routine.. my question is, how do I find out how much they need in a routine? Like how many LTDs, body positions, tumbling passes (I know that's based on the quantity actually), etc. to get my team in the high range for their score sheets. I just can't find where that is written down anywhere. Anyone have any guidance?

It might help to post in the coaches section?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check the scoring rubrics for the competitions that you're competing at. :) The rubrics will tell you what skills are needed to get into the "high range" of each category, and also what sections you need to incorporate into the routine.

Good rule of thumb is 75% of athletes need to perform in standing team tumbling and runnng tumbling. Stunt skills you should max out on your groups to utilize all athletes and have max number of flyers in the air. ( 20 girls-- 5 prep/extention groups --4 groups if need front spot)
Also incorporate a single jump as well as a a triple jump.
Creative entrances to skills raise scores as well .

Good luck!!

To all of you coaches out there... I am currently working on my first routine! I have worked with choreographers in the past but now I get the chance to actually work on my own ideas so I am thrilled and can't wait to get started. I coach a mini level 1 so I know what they can and can't do in a routine.. my question is, how do I find out how much they need in a routine? Like how many LTDs, body positions, tumbling passes (I know that's based on the quantity actually), etc. to get my team in the high range for their score sheets. I just can't find where that is written down anywhere. Anyone have any guidance?

Have you checked with your gym owner or program director?

Hi there! Google the score sheets for USASF, or other competition brands you plan to attend. They have a great rubric on what stunts based on level, and team size for safety and legality.

When I choreograph the goal is always to max out the score sheet, within reason of their skill set. So for instance, say you need 5 "2 mans" (AKA for minis standing on one girls knee) then choreograph as many as you can in, but if you know a group might need some help have one group with a third spotter. Or be open to changing it later on if you need to water it down, if that makes sense. Just look at what they have in the highest point category and shoot for that within reason! :)

Back