All-Star Choreography? Point Dancer/ Flyer.... Etc?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When I cheered, my coaches did they best to highlight everyone in different areas. My tumbling was usually subpar, so I was hidden for that. My jumps were average, middle of the pack. And I was a backspot, so never really seen during stunts. I would often be in the front of dances because that was my strong suit and gave me time in the front. Of course, it doesn't always work out that way. But I appreciate teams who don't have one or two athletes flying point, center jumps and point dancer.

So in my experience it was absolutely skill over cuteness. But I spent most of my time on senior teams so that's probably why.

I have seen the cuteness factor win out with tiny/ mini teams and with youth 1, but not much beyond that.

Honestly, what bugs me most is that the same kids who are "expected" to be the best are featured over and over in all aspects of the routine. If Sally is never in the front because she is not a great tumbler or jumper and doesn't fly, but her dance skills are as good as Suzy Point Flyer's why not get her off the back row for once?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I originally began this post because on my daughters team it really did look like they were making some of the decisions based on cuteness. My daughter for example is 5 and her and another 5 year old are right up in the front middle for stunting and in the front middle for the dance portion. Because they are the youngest and the beginners they are not the most talented or have as as strong of a skills set at this moment. Now for their jump portion they are moved to the back middle. So I was curious as to why some of these decisions would be made.

darlingsmomx4-
Before I answer this question to the best of my knowledge - Do you agree with your daughter's placement and do you believe that cuteness is playing a part in your daughter's placement?

Side note: I was thinking about this choreography questions and how many of us on board who are Parents only see things from that perspective -- I will like for Parents to look at things in the Coaches' perspectives on this matter-- I am only assuming that these thoughts are going through Coaches mind when looking at placement, because I am not a Coach, but I do play one on Thursdays. (yeah, right!) If you have equally talented children in many areas, which by the way is a blessing- other factors may come into play like size and height of your athletes and smoothness of transitions in the routine and most importantly and all the reason for the performance and routine the SCORESHEET!

I was laughing to myself and thinking about this thread - My daughter is on a Youth team and many of the athletes on her team are 1/2 foot or more shorter than her... I was laughing because I can easily see my daughter's team being choreography as the 'Land of the Giant' meeting 'The Munchkins' and if the Giants were put out front, the routine may look like they are Easing down the Yellow Brick road to see the Wizard to the judges ' So. I said all of this to say that it strategic art in choreographing a perfect routine.

Last edited:
It depends on what kind of gym you are attending. Some gyms who let the parents make the decisions will repeatedly put the favorites in the front. :confused: Saw this at an old gym we attended several years ago.

Just a parent but I agree - minis team might use a cutness factor in placement especially in dance.

One thought - In older teams, I do believe a cheerleader who knows how to "sell" a routine is especially beneficial in the front and center of the dance portion of the routine. We've all seen them - they are the ones that look like they are having loads of fun and know how to "work the crowd" so to speak. LOVE that part!

When I was asst. coaching rec, sometimes placement came down to wether or not I could depend on the child being there. We had a monster base who was quick to pick things up but came and went at her mother's whim. At one point she had missed over fifty percent of practices and games. She was a nugget as far as I was concerned.

As a coach i can tell you that I do not factor in "cuteness" at all. The girls with the best skill get the best spot. If girls are on the same level then I determine placement based on their position in the previous formation or the next formation

I've seen both in routines, but CP's gym always went with talent. And I appreciated that because it gave the girl's something to work towards. When CP was placed in the front this year (though has since been pulled due to a quicker move than we expected) she knew it meant something and was really excited that her coaches felt she was stronger there. And this was a Mini aged team.

If the next gym she goes to, or any gym she may try, focuses more on the cute over talent, it won't be the gym for us.

my coach always places people with skill in front/center but if you cannot make it to center due to your spot in the previous section, he won't rearrange everything just for you. as AliciaM said above, the routine has to flow

Sometimes it comes down to flow like the others said. Last year i had the easiest walk to point, so i was put point for round off handsprings to the back. Doesn't seem like much to some of you but for me it was a big deal. I have an issue with my back handsprings because i cannot squeeze my legs together (theyre straight, just miles apart). But i was point, so i fixed it as best as i could. I was only point for 1 or 2 comps tho because then we changed our routine. I was definitely not the best tumbler but it was the way it worked out.

Okay, I admit it. Choreographing a high school team a few weeks ago I actually put a cute girl in the front. I even told her, "you're cute, you can go here." This WAS after I teased her that she couldn't dance, so it was more of a "you can't dance, but I'll let you in the front anyways because you're cute." Whoops.

Whenever we do choreography, my co -coach and i simply look for skill. We put the best jumper on point, the best flyer is going to be center (best flexibility, consistent) and for the dance, the ones with the cleanest motions and best showmanship get to be in the front. I am always center for the dance (not front row but somewhere in the middle) because i am a giant and everything would look off if i wasn't haha
Looking for cuteness or good looks is definitly not an option, you either got the skill or you're in the back (which not everyone always understands , some Girls like to cry about it)

CP is 9 on a j5 team and she was actually in the back for dance last season and this season. They just has choreography and she came in the car after and said, " I'm in the back for dance, Dance is not one of my strong points" we laughed because at 9 I don't think she had the body control that the older kids do. Skill in her gym is the only thing that will get you in the front.

Back