High School Coach Leaving..

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 11, 2011
So I am leaving my current program b/c I took a head coaching position at another school. The team I am leaving was where I cheered in high school. It took me YEARS after college to get back in and be able to help and I poured my heart and sould into it.

Well, I notified the head coach (who coached me) and called her and followed up with an email asking her to call me but also giving her details and how I would like to notify the team before the annoucement goes out either in person or worst case an email to everyone (I have a small handful of kids I am feeling guilty for leaving but this is the right move...and I am planning to be sure I am available to the parents and girls to talk if they want.) and she didn't call me back and says that today, she will call the captians, and notify them to tell the rest of the team... are you ready for this... VIA TEXT MESSAGE!

I cheered for her 4 years in high school, tried hard for years after to have her let me come help, we made huge strides with the team for the past 6-7 years... and I am only good enough for a text message?

Do you feel that is inappropriate? I am a little hurt and I think I am going to handle emailing the team and the parents myself once the "text message" goes out. I am in shock!

What is the worst way you have heard someone was leaving?

Text is the fastest and most efficient way to get a message out to a large group at the same time. If she was to call one by one, the last girl would have heard two hours prior via a text from the first girl. The new generation doesn't have issues with texts and would prefer to communicate this way.

I don't see anything wrong with it considering the way teens communication. However, I'm in a professional job environment and would never do via text, so I understand how the first reaction would be that is inappropriate.

I personally wouldn't want the information to go out via text. If there are girls on the team that are semi close to you and really liked having you as a coach, they may even feel a bit offended, and think that you did not care yourself to let them know. Last year when our coach decided to take a leave of absence from our school team we had a meeting at the school with all team members and she herself gave us her exact reasons for making the decision and why it was best for her. I, and others, really appreciated that she took the time to do this and would have been VERY upset to find out over text message, phone call, or email.
If you aren't as close with all the girls and since you said you weren't the head coach, I would say it should be fine to notify them via text message, though I would still think the head coach should address them face to face if you are unable to do so. Definitely speak with parents/kids you feel a connection with if the text message idea goes through. I can guarantee you that it will mean a great deal to them.
Good luck with the new job!

Like I said, I understand for efficenty, but remember, I not only went there but I have been there for 7 years as a coach. I am pretty sure the head coach is dissappointed and I did ask to send an email to the girls to let them know.. for example, I have some underclassmen who will go right to all-star and not cheer high school now (which is fine) but I wish the initial message was something in my words... I think that is my biggest gripe!

She probably didn't mean to do it in a way that would hurt you. I'm sure she figured it was the quickest way to communicate. Also, she may be a little upset/hurt as well. You guys obviously spent a lot of time together and she's losing her right hand man. I'm sure you will get to talk to the girls, don't stress about this!

Also, I wouldn't necessarily be 'offended' if I found this out through text. Either way I would be upset if one of my coaches left, of course it's nice to hear directly from the coach but a text/phone call may give the cheerleaders some time to let it sink in. And I'd like to throw in that I was just as close with my assistant coaches as I was the head coach at my school :)

Personally, if someone is leaving, coach, athlete, whoever, I would want to hear it in person.

Thanks All! I feel better!! I was upset at first and I am sure as a whole everyone is!

The text went out... so I had a nice message on their Group Facebook page... What an emotional few weeks!

So I am leaving my current program b/c I took a head coaching position at another school. The team I am leaving was where I cheered in high school. It took me YEARS after college to get back in and be able to help and I poured my heart and sould into it.

Well, I notified the head coach (who coached me) and called her and followed up with an email asking her to call me but also giving her details and how I would like to notify the team before the annoucement goes out either in person or worst case an email to everyone (I have a small handful of kids I am feeling guilty for leaving but this is the right move...and I am planning to be sure I am available to the parents and girls to talk if they want.) and she didn't call me back and says that today, she will call the captians, and notify them to tell the rest of the team... are you ready for this... VIA TEXT MESSAGE!

I cheered for her 4 years in high school, tried hard for years after to have her let me come help, we made huge strides with the team for the past 6-7 years... and I am only good enough for a text message?

Do you feel that is inappropriate? I am a little hurt and I think I am going to handle emailing the team and the parents myself once the "text message" goes out. I am in shock!

I feel that the coach handled this with lack of respect to you and to the team. If you specifically requested the opportunity to tell the girls yourself, she should have honored that... not just because you coach these girls, but also because after being loyal to that program through the years you earned the right to handle this with class and dignity. Just remember, how you react to this speaks volumes about YOU, how she handled it speaks volumes about HER.

Hold your head high, send a formal announcement to the team yourself, or call them together on your own... but whatever you do, do not talk bad - at all- about the other coach, after all, she is still their coach and you never want to burn bridges! Good luck in your new position, show them the same dedication that you showed the program you are leaving and you'll be successful there as well!

no you deserve a meeting, bring them in. even if it was one year thats a WHOLE year thats like a relationship and youre kinda breaking up :( you need to tell the head coach that you want a meeting cause of how you feel.

I would sned out the info via email... then send out a mass text saying "please check your email" thats what I do for the team I coach and it works out well.

well, hold on.. that is .. if you are taking the internet route.. if you feel that this should be more formal and you feel youve done your part where you think you should get to tell them in person then ask the AD to hold a meeting and let them know <3

Just an update! It all worked out, while I was extremely disappointed w/ the text, I had an email ready for the girls. As soon as the one captain texted me to tell me congrats, I hit the send button. As teenagers are, some never responded, some were so supportive and a few were a little mad. I did speak to the upset ones so they understood my position.

Our banquet is in a few days and I will be able to see them then and I am looking forward to it! But thanks! I just wasn't thrilled w/ how it was handled! But once the word was out there, I was able to remedy!

Well, all my advice/input has been said up there by other people pretty much but one story I have is this past season I assistant coached a Rex team of 13/14 year olds and the head coach was a real b**** who didn't know much about cheerleading to begin with and just all around nasty! (I was unable to was coach since I wa only 16) well her reason for leaving was because the girls hair wasn't in a straight pony (without bow) which is what she wanted for their individual pictures which made no sense and was NOT up to her. She left by telling all the girls "have fun getting anywhere in cheer without me" we placed first at both competitions and got the highest score at our league competition for the first time since 2008. Lol, so it could be worse!

Back