Coach Refuses To Release Athlete

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 12, 2011
We are having to leave our current allstar program due to unkept promises that were made by the owner. I have documented proof of promises that were made, discussions with coaches, additional promises to correct, etc. My two daughters, my husband and myself have all made every effort to make things work this season. Unfortunately, we are having to part ways.

The owner of the gym is refusing to release my daughters so that they can compete with another program that wants them for the remainder of the season and for their Worlds team. The gym we are coming from has only had my daughters compete one time and that was as a level five OPEN team. They do not have what I would call ownership of my children for a Worlds program and have to intentions of having my children compete for their Worlds team as that team is full. He won't give me a reason as to why he won't release them other than, "they were here first."

Do I have any recourse or ability to dispute his decision to not release my daughters? I know that this rule is in place to prevent parents from jumping to what they perceive as better teams for Worlds, but where is the protection from owners who will say what you want to hear to get your commitment.

Thank you so much for reading and I would appreciate any advice.

We are having to leave our current allstar program due to unkept promises that were made by the owner. I have documented proof of promises that were made, discussions with coaches, additional promises to correct, etc. My two daughters, my husband and myself have all made every effort to make things work this season. Unfortunately, we are having to part ways.

The owner of the gym is refusing to release my daughters so that they can compete with another program that wants them for the remainder of the season and for their Worlds team. The gym we are coming from has only had my daughters compete one time and that was as a level five OPEN team. They do not have what I would call ownership of my children for a Worlds program and have to intentions of having my children compete for their Worlds team as that team is full. He won't give me a reason as to why he won't release them other than, "they were here first."

Do I have any recourse or ability to dispute his decision to not release my daughters? I know that this rule is in place to prevent parents from jumping to what they perceive as better teams for Worlds, but where is the protection from owners who will say what you want to hear to get your commitment.

Thank you so much for reading and I would appreciate any advice.

There is not yet a rule requiring one gym to release you before you can go to another.

Actually there is something in the Worlds packet. The gym that we want to go to called it to my attention that I would need to be "released" and I found it. Is it a new rule? I just don't want to cause problems for anyone at Worlds if our old owner wants to get vindictive.

There is not yet a rule requiring one gym to release you before you can go to another.

The worlds packet says you have to be released to compete with another gym for worlds this year. Was that a typo??

I wouldn't think you'd be forced to stay at your gym, unless you signed an agreement that says you're bound to stay there for the remainder of the season and/or you have outstanding financial obligations to them.

The proposed USASF rule that talks about being required to stay at your gym for the balance of the competition season, if it's ratified, would apply starting next season.

Can't speak to the Worlds rules specifically.

It only applies to worlds teams. If she would like to go to a new team and not be worlds eligible that is fine for this season.

It only applies to worlds teams. If she would like to go to a new team and not be worlds eligible that is fine for this season.

I forgot about the Worlds packet and was thinking about the vote. Does the rule apply when going from a Non-Worlds team at Former Gym to a Worlds team at New Gym or just when leaving one Worlds team for another?

Does anyone know how/who to contact at USASF to fight this? Neither of my daughters are on a Worlds eligible team at the old gym. If this rule only applies to Worlds teams, then the coach is just being a pain. Us leaving isn't hurting his Worlds team so there is no reason to hold us back.

Does anyone know how/who to contact at USASF to fight this? Neither of my daughters are on a Worlds eligible team at the old gym. If this rule only applies to Worlds teams, then the coach is just being a pain. Us leaving isn't hurting his Worlds team so there is no reason to hold us back.

This rules currently only applies to teams competing at 2011 Worlds:

NEW:
All athletes participating on a team at The 2011 Worlds, must be a registered member of that team’s gym during the 2010 – 2011 competition season. Any athlete that has competed with another team from another gym (Primary Gym) or has been registered with the USASF as an athlete member from another gym (Primary Gym), during the same 2010 – 2011 competition season, will have to complete a USASF Gym Release Waiver, located at www.USASF.net, signed by the owner of that other gym (Primary Gym)before that athlete is eligible to compete at the 2011 Cheerleading Worlds with another gym (Secondary Gym).

You and your daughters are free to leave your current gym and go to a different gym with out the owners permission. Sounds like he trying to used the above rule to his advantage banking that most parents with kids on non worlds competing teams are not familiar with the rules.

The NAAC board just recommended voting to have this very same rule applicable to ALL LEVEL athletes. This rule has not been finalized yet and certaintly would not barr you from leaving your current gym.
HTH

It sounds like they are going from Gym A (non worlds eligible team) to Gym B's World's team. Can they do this? The way the above rule reads to me is that because they were registered with USASF at Gym A, they can only switch to Gym B's worlds team with the waiver signed by the owner of Gym A. But I could be wrong. Or maybe it's OK because they're going from a non-Worlds eligible team to a World's eligible team.

Yet again, another grey area on a rule!

It has to be apples to apples so to speak. The current rule is if you leave one Gym's worlds competitive team to go to another gyms worlds competitive team. The owner from your original gym must sign a waiver releasing your from their gym.

It has to be apples to apples so to speak. The current rule is if you leave one Gym's worlds competitive team to go to another gyms worlds competitive team. The owner from your original gym must sign a waiver releasing your from their gym.

No, this is incorrect. If you leave your current gym after you have already competed with them (regardless of team or level) and desire to go to worlds with a different gym, your first gym must release you. It has nothing to do with what team you were on at your 1st gym. It has everything to do with what team you will compete with (and whether they will attend worlds) at your new gym.

Can they even enforce that rule if the athlete isn't already registered with USASF? The daughters name might be on a roster for the competition they went to, but who's going to bring that up? I can't see it being an issue unless the old coach calls her out to the USASF or she has already registered with the USASF.

Can they even enforce that rule if the athlete isn't already registered with USASF? The daughters name might be on a roster for the competition they went to, but who's going to bring that up? I can't see it being an issue unless the old coach calls her out to the USASF or she has already registered with the USASF.

It has nothing to do with being a registered USASF member athlete. All the first gym has to do is prove the girl competed with them once this year already and she'll be ineligible to compete with Gym B AT WORLDS until Gym A releases her.

Back