All-Star Coaches Making Athletes Promise

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

They way I see it, when you try-out for the new season, sign the paperwork, etc...you pretty much are saying, "I'm with you all season". That's the "promise". No one wants to leave mid season and doing so is very difficult for all involved. A promise made by a 9 year old isn't gonna hold up if she wants to leave. And what about the coach? What if he wanted to move her off the team she "promised" to stay on. Will he make a promise never ever to kick her off of a team? This sounds like grade school games from a coach.

If the coach can live up to the promise thats one thing.... but most coaches that are resorting to "promises" never really hold up to them....

very true, i agree. but put yourself in this athlete's shoes. what would you really do? i know whenever something pops up, i just say that I'm going to do something about it, something that makes me feel confident. but when i think about it, i would probably wimp out. bottom line, this is too immature. it shouldn't be tolerated. & whats worse? if an athlete leaves that gym to go to another gym, and all the coaches from their old gym completely turn on them. then they make fun of them, at competitions they are both at, to their face. the COACHES. make fun of the ATHLETES. just because they left their gym. it's completely ridiculous! and to make it all worse, you probably just think I'm just visualizing this happening. but this happened to my friend. very.very.very. recently. and when i found out, i was completely appalled. ugh. it disgusts me.

we had this very thing happen to us. My CP was kicked off the a team after she was "seen" at another gym in another state. She was replaced before they even spoke to us about it. This same coach has done this several times. He actually went to a "rival" gym and removed a athlete who was there to check it out at the end of the season and was seen (and heard) by parents giving this kid a guilt trip to put it lightly it was not only embarrassing for the kid but the rest of us as well. After my cp was gone from the program we went to a competition to support her friends her x coach told them that they were forbidden to speak to her and the ones who did talk to her were yelled at in front of the team. I was completely shocked at the immaturity of this person but am pretty sure that this is just how this coach does things so that kids are afraid to leave. It's sad that there are coaches out there that act this way.

we had this very thing happen to us. My CP was kicked off the a team after she was "seen" at another gym in another state. She was replaced before they even spoke to us about it. This same coach has done this several times. He actually went to a "rival" gym and removed a athlete who was there to check it out at the end of the season and was seen (and heard) by parents giving this kid a guilt trip to put it lightly it was not only embarrassing for the kid but the rest of us as well. After my cp was gone from the program we went to a competition to support her friends her x coach told them that they were forbidden to speak to her and the ones who did talk to her were yelled at in front of the team. I was completely shocked at the immaturity of this person but am pretty sure that this is just how this coach does things so that kids are afraid to leave. It's sad that there are coaches out there that act this way.
that's terrible. i think gym owners should be giving boundaries on what you can be saying to your athlete.

That is truly stunning. It doesn't happen often, but we have occasionally lost some kids to another gym (usually to the powerhouse 35 minutes south of us ;)), but we have had some of those same kids join us in the VIP section at comps when our teams go on. And yes they are wearing their new gym's unis. We love that they want to come cheer on their old teammates. While we hate to lose kids (unless maybe they're a Suzy or a Stuie), it is a lot more pleasant to stay friendly. And why burn a bridge if the grass doesn't turn out to be greener for them on the other side?

Back