All-Star Coaching Babies

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 31, 2011
So here comes a long story:

My gym has a program called Lil' Shakers. It's a Tiny Exhibition team/Into to cheer class. This will be my fourth year coaching the team, as well as multiple other teams, and I don't consider myself a "new" coach. But...recently this program has exploded! We went from having in past years between 6 and 10 5&6 year olds to around 15 3&4 year olds (a few 5). On top of this, my co-coach has had to leave because of college class schedules. Her mom (retired rec coach) still helps out, but it's a lot of babies.

I'm really not used to coaching children this young, I don't even think most of them are in preschool yet. What kind of activities/skills are appropriate for them, and what are some techniques I can use to get them to listen and pay attention?

First of congratulations on your continued growth! Its says something about your coaching and your gym!! One thing that I recommend to anyone coaching younger athletes is to start off with a physical game! Something fun to make them think but also move around. We like Ships and Sailors!! Its usually easier to control the team and keep their attention once they have released some of that excess energy that my have caused them to be unfocused before!!!

I teach gymnastics to those ages...............and anything that is fun and keeps their attention! It can be hard.........5 to 7 min at most of one thing and then change it up to something else...........tell them I dont think you can do this or that they are not "old, smart or big enough" to do this and it will make them work harder proving you wrong! Let them just dance to music or run around something stationary for a min or two (in the same direction) when it is really frustrating. Good luck!

In addition let me add this group does actually have to learn a routine and perform at a few comps. So any techniques for teaching/remembering routines would be helpful as well

When I helped coach tiny tots we would have them just run around the mat randomly and then yell "now go to your stunt group!" or to their jump spot, dance spot etc. to help them learn to transition and find their spot on the mat. :)

I've recently been experiencing something like this as well. I am much more experienced with mini ages and up, but my co-coach is really great with this age group and has some great ideas. One way to help them remember routines is by giving each motion a silly name and each week only adding like 4 motions. No music at first, then slowly bringing music in once they really know the whole thing. like a toe-touch is a star jump, tucks are ball jumps. making themselves look like a pencil...etc... all silly words that they will recognize. another fun one they like is they each get to pick their favorite motion, then their name is the motions name instead of high V or touchdown, etc..you get the point.

Hope this helps

I coached this age group last year and I can honestly say that this is probably the hardest age group to coach (I've coached up to junior). For their routine I just made their opening spot/jump/dance etc the same spot. so they only had to really remember their stunt spots. Also, for the beginning part of the season we used "dots" a construction paper circle with their name on it for them to remember their spot.
My group responded well to bribing (as bad at that sounds, it really wasnt :p ) like if you do you stunt good 4 times, you get a turn on the trampoline.

I have learned so much from coaching minis.
Fun ways we get them to be "clean" while walking is we say "Peanut Butter" and they automatically put their hands on their sides and squeeze their arms. Or we say "walk like a soldier". For high V's we tell them that their "cinnamon rolls" have to be facing forward. Coaching this age group is tough at times but it will get easier, just try to have as much patience as possible!

Minis want to please you, so its so important that you praise them when they do. Watching a child grow and get better is so rewarding! Best of luck to you :) Love on those kids and cherish every hug they give you!

I will be coaching minis this year for the first time. I barely had enough patience to coach youth.... I hope that I dont kill anyone haha

Don't lower your expectations with minis!! They may not be able to do the same stunts as youth but mine get pretty darn close. They can be sharp and they can tumble and they can learn.

I may take a SLIGHTLY softer approach with my mini's but they get treated just like the big girls 99% of the time.

You won't kill anyone, they'll actually surprise you if you know how to help them find their greatness :)
Good luck!

Don't lower your expectations with minis!! They may not be able to do the same stunts as youth but mine get pretty darn close. They can be sharp and they can tumble and they can learn.

Good luck!

This is the biggest thing with any age! Kids, especially young ones, will live up to your expectations. So, if you expect them to goof off, not get it, and act like "babies" they will! If you expect them to pay attention (for shorter time periods), learn their (slightly easier) routines, and give it their all, they will!

I have coached tinys and minis since I started coaching (along with older teams too) and they are for sure the hardest kids to coach but if you go about right it's so fun and rewarding! As far as tinys, they for sure learn what they can and can't get away with with you! So what I learned if I said no game if we don't start listening but I still let them play, they remember that and think no matter what they can play a game at the end of practice. One thing that I started doing this year is acting like I was calling jammy :) my co coach actually went into a room and acted like him on speaker, others I just pretended I was talking to someone. I'll tell them let miss D record you guys and Show how awesome you are! And they really try on their routine and focus, even if it's just for a few run threws of certain sections. And if they aren't listening I tell them I'm going to call jammy and tell him! They love jammy so it works:) good luck because that is A LOT of kids but how awesome!! Oh one more thing, I always reward them by learning a new part or remembering their routine and I try to give them theme days! Character day princess day ETC they love it!

Latest posts

Back