All-Star College Coach Needs Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 24, 2009
Hey, my name is Jason Larkins and I am the assistant cheer coach here at CBU.

We are starting a new web series called CBU Cheer Tours.

Basically, mini, fun, video tours geared towards future collegiate cheer athletes, about CBU and CBU Cheer.

We plan to have episodes featuring our cheer facility, where student-athletes live on campus, the eateries on campus and a few other features.

However, I am coming to you for help and a new perspective!

What else do perspective college cheer athletes want to see about the school, the campus and the cheer program?

We would love to hear your ideas so that we can make CBU Cheer Tours all about what YOU, the athletes, want to see!

I hope to hear from a lot of you soon!

As a current high school senior who will be trying out for college cheer in the spring, I've spent countless hours online looking for practice videos and try out videos of the programs that I'm interested in. I think a lot of prospective athletes would love to get a feel for how both are run.

I bet it would be really cool to do a behind-the-scenes at a football or basketball game, similar to the videos Varsity did a few years ago.
I loved those videos. It would be cool if you could get a GoPro to show a unique look at what it's really like to be on the sidelines or competition floor.

Thanks a ton for your suggestions, we're putting them into play as we speak!

But for now, here's Episode 1 in case you haven't seen it yet.

What a lot of kids ask about college programs:

What's your routine style (are you more of an NCA or UCA program? I'm guessing NCA because well, you won it! Right?)

What are you looking for in prospective team members? What level of stunting/tumbling do most of your kids have? What sort of characteristics are you looking for? Practice footage or tryout footage is great for that. Kids are ALWAYS looking for that.

How important is game day presence in your tryout? Show kids a game and what some of your game day/campus traditions are.

What financial resources are provided? Book scholarships/tuition/what? Have a team member talk about how helpful those resources are.

How supportive is your athletic department of the cheer program? Talk about how supportive your university is of you guys!

What is your coaching style? Practice footage showing (in reality) how the coaches interact with kids.

What are the expectations for a CBU cheerleader? Ex: Follow a cheerleader through her weekly life of classes, mandatory study hours, 20 hours of practice, and games.

For your particular college I would show/tell what the religious requirements are, assuming there are some. Are you required to attend Chapel once a week? Bible study/small group? How many religion classes do you need to take to get a degree? Does the religious atmosphere (if there is one) dictate what kind of spirit events and fundraisers you can have? I think these will be important to prospective students.

This is a great idea! I would like to see what culture your program has. Do you put cheer as one of the top priorities thereby limiting your athletes from participating in other activities or is there room in the schedule to do other things? Follow a cheerleader through a typical day. We are in the process of choosing colleges and the culture at one college was a deal breaker for my CP.

Also, if your college website is not clear on what (if any) financial benefits the program offers, put that in your videos too!

Back