College Colleges With Good Cheer Programs But High Academics Too?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

If you can't go to school, go to state.. sorry I just had to haha Don't hate me :kiss:

What programs would you be looking into? I cheer at saint Joseph's university in Philly and we have an amazing business school as well as other really good programs... I am a science major and the science programs are very good as well.its also a private university just as is penn and Harvard and Yale it's just not Ivy League. We are a competitive squad, we compete at NCA in the all girl intermediate division and all you need a back handspring to be on the team but we can throw up to a layout. A few of us including myself had fulls but dont need to throw them for this team. If you're at all interested in the school or team let me know! We do recruit visits over night or for the day and we would love to have you!

Does the squad have to be competitive? If you're looking at Ivy then it sounds like you're looking for Top 25 or Top 50 type universities. NC State and Michigan are probably the two most highly ranked academic school that I can think of who also have competitive cheer programs. They also have great sports to cheer for. Mizzou is a fine public institution but in academia NCSU and Michigan are probably ranked higher.I believe Harvard and Columbia do compete at the NCAs but I don't think they're particularly competitive. NYU also has a competitive squad but the overall athletes programs at the school suck (no football and basketball games have a high school feel). If you want a sophisticated cheer program but don't mind that they don't compete, you could also look at Wake Forrest, UCLA, or UNC. These are state schools, but in terms of academic rankings and national recognition, they are one level above Mizzou (so called public Ivys). Take a look at Notre Dame as well. I don't know much about their cheer program. They don't compete, but watching them from the sidelines at football games , it appears to me that they use advanced stunting and basket tosses.

My daughter is looking for the same thing - a selective school with good academics (she wants to be a doctor), great athletics and a cheer program she could love. She also though wants to stay out of the cold and or rainy states. Right now her list is UCLA, UNC Chapel Hill, Baylor, Clemson and University of Miami. What do you all think?

Villanova is pretty good around my area. They compete at UCA nationals and are also up there with the top schools in the nation.
Yup! Nova consistently makes finals in Small Coed DI & their coach is a really great guy. Cheering for Big East basketball is always a perk too. ;) One of our all stars is starting out her freshman year as a Nova student and cheerleader and she LOVES it so far.

Yup! Nova consistently makes finals in Small Coed DI & their coach is a really great guy. Cheering for Big East basketball is always a perk too. ;) One of our all stars is starting out her freshman year as a Nova student and cheerleader and she LOVES it so far.
A good friend of mine from my team last year is going to be a freshman in the fall and made Nova's team :) she seems to be very happy!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Okay, so I really want to cheer in college. But my parents want me to go to a really good school with good academics. Not to say that state schools don't, but they would prefer that I don't go to a state school unless it has something REALLY special to offer me, because I could stay here and get half off of tuition to Mizzou if I'm going to a state school. So I'm trying to find a school that I can cheer at. I'm not an AMAZING tumbler, I'm working on my full as a sophomore so I should have it by the time I'm trying out for college...
I've looked at all the typical "smart kid" schools, like Princeton, Yale, Harvard , etc, but people aren't really going to those schools for athletics, they're more going for academics... some of these squads are like "tumbling isn't required" which I don't want, or they're non competing, which I could do but only if there's a gym near me! Vanderbilt seems good, it's known for academics but their cheer requirements are level 4/5 which is what I want, I found some others too but I don't remember them...
I know I'm only a sophomore and I don't need worry about college so much so early, but I like to know what I need to get tumbling/stunting wise in advance so I have time to work on it. So does anyone have suggestions of colleges that have good cheer squads but are known for academics too?
Also I don't know what I want to do so I need a school that would give me a lot of options!
You can Check out Widener in PA. We require tumbling and we compete all girl level 6 in DIII. Widener has good academics!

Back