High School Community Service

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 11, 2014
What do you have your squads do for community service? Nursing home visits, food drives? I'd like some ideas please.

My favorite thing we do is help out at the special needs baseball games. Every player is assigned a buddy and we (the buddies) help out our players - some need more help than others - with running the bases, batting, playing catch, etc. It's a great experience. I always go more than our "required" number of games. It's a pretty common thing from what I understand, but I knew nothing about it until cheer. You should see if there's a league nearby! Otherwise, since you might not have it, we've rung bells at Christmas time for Salvation Army, done food drives, volunteered or ran at 5Ks. One year at tryouts we could bring in a bag of coins and get an extra point, the money went to a charity.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

One of the most rewarding fundraisers our program does is Cell Phones for Soldiers (cellphonesforsoldiers.com). During the first two weeks of school, we advertise this fundraiser and ask all students to donate their old cell phones that they no longer use. The cheerleaders set up a table in a high traffic area every day after school. The organization recycles the phones and uses the funds to provide free communication to soldiers away from home.

Local 5Ks/runs are a great way to show your support to the organization. All of my cheerleaders that are runners register, while everyone else cheers the runners on from the sidelines.

We usually do a few community events a year. We help with events at local elementary schools. We helped paint at the senior citizens building. In a few weeks we're helping out at a huge autism benefit in our town. The best way to find things is to get on your towns website or through Facebook. Our city has a few Facebook pages and events are listed and advertised by others in the community.

Look into your local special Olympics program! They can always use volunteers to help with events, practices, fundraisers, etc! I've gotten my field hockey team I coach involved since I started working there and they've said it's the most rewarding volunteer work they've done. Definitely worth looking into and if you need help contacting someone let me know I'll be happy to help.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

You could do a special needs cheer class over several weeks or even start a special needs cheer team.

That way the project would be ongoing.

The Fierce Board: more debates than USASF has divisions but only barely

Back