High School Competition Decision To Go Or No

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 7, 2010
2 of our athletes have concussions and can't compete in the first of the 2 qualifiers we're signed up for (11/22).
One is the point flyer and one of the main tumblers. The other is a back. We have a weak replacement for the back (weak in skill and recovering from mono). We have no replacement for the flyer.

Would you cut the team to 16 in 3 practices making up a new pyramid knowing the two will be back for the 12/7 qualifier and try? Or would you pull out from 11/22 and not make changes and practice a lot the week before 12/7? Note: Our girls hate changes.

Is it harder to get a bid at the second qualifier?
Thanks.

It is hard to get a bid if u have not had the chance to practice as a team and r not comfortable and confident with each other! Only a coach knows if it will work or if it will b a no chance of a bid routine

If you know that you are going to get them back for the second one, I'd pull from the first competition. Making too many changes may cause them to over stress and fail, which could lead to more injuries.
Last year I had a girl out with mono for 2 months before competition started, so I feel your pain. If your team is not good with changes then don't chance it.

2 of our athletes have concussions and can't compete in the first of the 2 qualifiers we're signed up for (11/22).
One is the point flyer and one of the main tumblers. The other is a back. We have a weak replacement for the back (weak in skill and recovering from mono). We have no replacement for the flyer.

Would you cut the team to 16 in 3 practices making up a new pyramid knowing the two will be back for the 12/7 qualifier and try? Or would you pull out from 11/22 and not make changes and practice a lot the week before 12/7? Note: Our girls hate changes.

Thanks.
They need to suck it up and accept that sometimes changes must be made for the good of the team. If you can reduce the size of the team, do so.

They need to suck it up and accept that sometimes changes must be made for the good of the team. If you can reduce the size of the team, do so.
The way the preview of this post showed up on my phone it looked like you were saying the girls with the concussion should suck it up and I was thinking :confused: :eek: so glad I clicked on the thread and realized that you hadn't lost your mind LOL!

Yeah lol I thought that was what was said at first too. I agree the team should suck it up, but they're not good at it. I think they'd be fine except a whole new pyramid would be needed. That would be tough. We're deciding today. Thanks for your thoughts.

Good Luck! I hope that everyone is healthy. I remember before you were debating going smaller and this is your chance! If you think it would be for the better of the team, do it!

Remember this.. if you choose to go smaller, remember that to change a division after you qualify may present problems, so you want to stay with your division if you can!

The way the preview of this post showed up on my phone it looked like you were saying the girls with the concussion should suck it up and I was thinking :confused: :eek: so glad I clicked on the thread and realized that you hadn't lost your mind LOL!
My head is throbbing just thinking about that lol!

Thanks.

What are the two qualifiers? I don't think it would be harder to qualify at one vs the other. It just might be more stressful on the girls knowing they only have once chance to qualify.

As for cutting the team to 16...say you compete medium and qualify at the first competition, then at nationals you must compete medium (if you wouldn't qualify at the second competition). What ever size you qualify as, you must compete in that division.

Which qualifiers? NJ And PA? Both are tough! Depending on division PA can be a tad easier. If these girls are valuable you will Prob want them back in the routine which means once they return other girls will need to be taken out if you go smaller. I would probably pull out of NJ and wait until PA. I do believe teams have qualified in two seperate divisions if I am not mistaking? Could be worth a shot to go for the bid in medium then again in large! Our school will only let us do one, so stressful!!!

Which qualifiers? NJ And PA? Both are tough! Depending on division PA can be a tad easier. If these girls are valuable you will Prob want them back in the routine which means once they return other girls will need to be taken out if you go smaller. I would probably pull out of NJ and wait until PA. I do believe teams have qualified in two seperate divisions if I am not mistaking? Could be worth a shot to go for the bid in medium then again in large! Our school will only let us do one, so stressful!!!
Not to mention, single-based stunts are an absolute must if they intend to be a competitive small team.

We decided to pull out of this week (the NJ one). We will go 12/7 - I guess it's our only chance for a bid. Both girls are better already - but not quite ready to compete safely after concussions. We will compete large (20).
We do have 6 girls up during the routine. We know that's important. Our 3 front stunts are strong, but our back flyers "cheat" a bit. No fulls yet (A few can do them on spring but not dead mat). I guess we will do well or we won't.

Thank you all for your time.

What are the two qualifiers? I don't think it would be harder to qualify at one vs the other. It just might be more stressful on the girls knowing they only have once chance to qualify.

As for cutting the team to 16...say you compete medium and qualify at the first competition, then at nationals you must compete medium (if you wouldn't qualify at the second competition). What ever size you qualify as, you must compete in that division.

Toms River (cancelled) and Kutztown PA (12/7)
Coach doesn't want to cut kids because the AD will get mad if a parent complains.

Is anyone going to Kutztown?

Toms River (cancelled) and Kutztown PA (12/7)
Coach doesn't want to cut kids because the AD will get mad if a parent complains.

Is anyone going to Kutztown?

I'll be at Kutztown, Good luck! Yes Cutting mid season is never easy

Back