Could I Possibly Get Kicked Off The High School Squad For This?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 25, 2011
My throat was hurting for weeks and I had to go to the doctor. They ended up putting me in the hospital and I got my tonsil drained. I won't be able to practice at cheer for 2 weeks. I will have another week of cheer practice and then camp. Sometime after camp is done I have to go back to the hospital and get my tonsils out. The doctor said I'm not going to be aloud to practice for 6 weeks(I think this is way too long, what do you think?). I looked at the calender and that will be running into the first game. I talked to one of my friends and they said it could get me kicked off! They said since I wouldn't be able to practice for a while and then miss a game that they could kick me off! I would still be at the practices just not participating. I honestly don't think you can do that(let me know if I'm wrong) and I don't think it will happen. But, I want other opinions!

If they kick you off I would take it straight to the school board. That is a more than adequate reason to miss.

Go to your coach and explain the situation. She may require a note from your Dr. Check with your Dr to see if he means just no yelling at practice, or if he really means no practice at all (which would also mean no phys ed class). If you can participate, just not yell-your coach might be OK with that. If you're really going to be out completely for 6 weeks, your coach may need to replace you. You could see if you can sit out football season (for medical reason) and then do winter season. Ask if you can still come and sit at practice and watch, so you can learn and still be a part of the team. No matter what YOU need to talk to your coach. Not your mom or dad, but you. Explain the situation, and your coach should be OK with it. I can't imagine a coach kicking you off due to a medical procedure.

It's going to depend on your coach and the program's "constitution" that parents and cheerleaders need to sign during the tryout process. Depending on how competitive your program is, your coach may have every right to bump someone up to take your spot or remove you from routines until you're back 100%. Most high school competitive programs I'm familiar with would probably move you to "alternate" status since you made the team initially, but now have medical issues. You would never be removed from a team entirely for a legit medical reason with notification to the coach from a doctor, but I believe the program has every right to give your spot to someone else until you're ready to be put back in.

My throat was hurting for weeks and I had to go to the doctor. They ended up putting me in the hospital and I got my tonsil drained. I won't be able to practice at cheer for 2 weeks. I will have another week of cheer practice and then camp. Sometime after camp is done I have to go back to the hospital and get my tonsils out. The doctor said I'm not going to be aloud to practice for 6 weeks(I think this is way too long, what do you think?). I looked at the calender and that will be running into the first game. I talked to one of my friends and they said it could get me kicked off! They said since I wouldn't be able to practice for a while and then miss a game that they could kick me off! I would still be at the practices just not participating. I honestly don't think you can do that(let me know if I'm wrong) and I don't think it will happen. But, I want other opinions!
there's no way they can kick you for that

Like everyone here said, it depends on your school's program and how things are run. YOU need to speak to your coach though- and YES. Despite what some people will tell you (the board can sometimes be a haven for the 'look at me willing to risk my own permanent harm for my team by working through serious injury-aren't I wonderful?!?' set)..FOLLOW. YOUR. DOCTOR. YES, sometimes they're wrong about certain things..but when it comes to things with surgeries, I'd listen to what they say..if that means six weeks, sorry. Be active in whatever way you can, but if it means no yelling- NO. YELLING. I can go into a lengthy explanation of the pain and suffering my poor friend had to go through in speech therapy re-learning how to speak properly due to vocal cysts..ick.

If I were you, I would make sure I would hand your coach a doctors note and inform your coach on what is going on. Because if you have a doctors excuse, you shouldn't be kicked off. We have a similar situation on my cheer team and she hads in a doctors note and she is fine. Its like a medical issue, so you should have nothing to worry about!

Echoing everyone else's thoughts here: you should talk to your coach about it. I'm sure you won't be kicked off the team as a tonsillectomy is a pretty legitimate reason for absence... though who knows what the protocol is for your school's athletic department. So talk to your coach, offer to bring him/her a doctor's note, and also feel free to mention that you'll still be able to come to the practices if only to watch (though you might not want to be anywhere but home that first week or two!).

Have you stocked up on any supplies yet for your recovery? I suggest a humidifier, frozen bags of peas (they make great ice packs to place on the undersides of your jaw so the swelling stays down!), and hot compresses to put over your ears just in case of inner ear pain! Also, italian ice from Rita's was my LIFE SAVER! My throat always burned badly after I took the antibiotic and painkiller, but a few spoonfuls of italian ice numbed it right up and made everything better.

Best of luck with everything! :)

I had this happen this past season but it was something different with her tonsils I think. The girl talked to me and she was going to be out for almost the whole season and she was still on the team and she could do basic stuff but no yelling or heavy stunting. She came to almost every practice and game and when she was cleared we were able to put her back on for the last couple of weeks of the season. She could still jump and do the motions and was able to perform the cheers so I didn't see any reason to not have her on the team. If it was competition season then I would have made her an alternate until she was healed fully but since its football season I think you'll be ok.

Echoing everyone else's thoughts here: you should talk to your coach about it. I'm sure you won't be kicked off the team as a tonsillectomy is a pretty legitimate reason for absence... though who knows what the protocol is for your school's athletic department. So talk to your coach, offer to bring him/her a doctor's note, and also feel free to mention that you'll still be able to come to the practices if only to watch (though you might not want to be anywhere but home that first week or two!).

Have you stocked up on any supplies yet for your recovery? I suggest a humidifier, frozen bags of peas (they make great ice packs to place on the undersides of your jaw so the swelling stays down!), and hot compresses to put over your ears just in case of inner ear pain! Also, italian ice from Rita's was my LIFE SAVER! My throat always burned badly after I took the antibiotic and painkiller, but a few spoonfuls of italian ice numbed it right up and made everything better.

Best of luck with everything! :)

They haven't decided when they want to take the tonsil out. Honestly we are tired of waiting so we are going to a different doctor! But I'll definitely put that stuff on the next grocery list! Thanks :)

Back