Covid-19 / Varsity Response

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Jenniferg482, Mar 11, 2020.

1. CheerItFullOut

CheerItFullOut I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tucheer
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Here’s the thing... I think for those gyms/schools that are hands on practicing ... if those areas want to hold live events because they can- go for it and if Varsity CAN hack a larger live event at the end of the season and some can attend, great- just hope for the best and hope that there isn’t the mess of having to refund people if there is some kind of resurgence etc... But that would be on whoever made the decision to go. (I’ll repeat) I’m out here in CA where we have had a spike and our school is still hoping we get to go to Nationals in Orlando in Feb if they could do so safely)

As for everyone else, (potentially us included) would definitely be nice to have some solid virtual options or if things DO fall through for everyone, there can be a switch to virtual- JUST FOR THIS SEASON... I’m just thinking Proactive rather than reactive... I consider myself VERY hopeful... but I’d rather have SOMETHING than nothing (if you get my drift) ...

we always see things as a “Here and now”... 3/4 weeks ago things looked totally different in CA... I see Colorado stunting... who’s to say in 4 weeks they’re putting a halt to that (God forbid) and we get the go ahead... it’s just so all over the place- this country looks likes a bunch of traffic lights on the fritz RED, Yellow, Green- Green, RED, Yellow- Stop Go, Open -Close ... slow, fast

• Shimmy Shimmy x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I totally agree with you on the virtual option, it needs to be fully considered. The quarantine required from back and forth travel throws more uncertainty into planning events out of state.

I've said it before but I also think there needs to be serious consideration given to pushing the whole season to start competitions in spring. This has the benefit of 1, giving teams more time to properly train and prepare as many have had to stop or start late due to local outbreaks and 2, if the virus is not yet under control perhaps outdoor (slip proof;) venues can be considered? I for one do not see in person, indoor large gatherings happening before a vaccine is here and enough doses are available for widespread distribution.

3. 5monkeysjumping

5monkeysjumping Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    The football thing is pretty wild to me. Can you imagine how that would look? "I've got him, no wait, you're closer, you get him, oops, you missed him, guess I can go in, nope, George got there first...". Craziness. I have one who plays and we're keeping him out of it this year. We're still being really cautious. I really do not want to catch this.

4. SparkleSpankies

SparkleSpankies I think I can mix Cheer Music

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    This is so common, so many people who I have known of who had it and not a single positive or positive antibody in the household. I would love to get some clarity.

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of your family member, regardless of the reason, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

5. cheermomforever

cheermomforever Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    wrong post

6. cheermomforever

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    our gym is scheduled to go Philly in Mid February for a comp.

7. 123jump4!

123jump4! I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Our school system has announced a fully virtual start. Cheer is making kids keep masks on the whole practice. (No complaints from CP.) Limited travel and possibly virtual comps.

8. coacha

coacha I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Not anymore you aren't. All large events canceled in Philly through the end of February.

9. cheermomforever

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    We will be lucky if any happen ......

• Old Thread Old Thread x 1
    • List
  10. cheermomforever

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Soooo USASF is considering a “non building devision”

11. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    That is just such a desperate move and sad to see (still) the lack of recognition that the issue is so much bigger than stunting! Please come up with options for virtual comps, push the season or just make it a working season for many. I can't travel to a comp if I need to miss work due to 14 day quarantine when we return so whether it becomes a dance competition or gymnastics competition is not the point. Grrr.

12. Cheeranswers

Cheeranswers Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    That’s... honestly embarrassing

13. XtremeWpg

XtremeWpg I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    If it’s just because of Covid and for a season or 2, I get it. I’d assume it’s mostly to try and give gyms something to offer competitively for a season or 2.

If it’s permanent then it’s crazy talk. But even with our tiny 6 active cases for a population of 1.3 million we are only allowed 10 minutes of stunting per day. A non building option to compete doesn’t sound half bad to help keep gyms doors open

14. Jenniferg482

Jenniferg482 They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Same we were scheduled to go 2/13

15. 5monkeysjumping

5monkeysjumping Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I'm okay with a non building division if it's temporary. I can see how that would allow teams to begin choreography and at least start to build a routine. I don't want my daughter stunting anyway. Right now, we have small groups of 4 for practice scattered throughout the day. This can't work if school resumes (even virtually) with any type of required schedule commitment, but for now it's perfect. If we start stunting or being in large groups, I'm going to have to really think about pulling her out for the season. We've already looked at options of what we can buy or build in our yard for her to keep tumbling. I think non building and virtual comps may be the best we can hope for. I'd really prefer if it was just a working year though and if we just stopped building hopes just to dash them.