All-Star Crazy Cheer Parent Stories--spill 'em!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

To add. We got ours to:
1. Save time!!! It generally took me about an hour to an hour and a half to get her hair done to standard. Now it will take 10 minutes.
2. Save her hair!!! It was so damaged after cheersport, I couldn't get her tease out! I had to go to the salon with her for help, and it took them an hour. The hair stylist said she was close to needing to cut it out!
3. At the end of the day, it takes less than 5 minutes to get her hair down and makeup off.
I'd say it's a worthwhile investment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Can you customize how much hair is actually put into the piece? Its a great idea, I just hate when the piece is bigger than the child lol.

I did forget to add that we have been using a Posh Pony (curled) all season. Was it expensive? Yup, but worth every penny, for so many reasons! My CP's hair is not damaged, hair and make up (and everything else) is done in about an hour - at a leisurely pace, and if the schedule allows, she gets to hang out with her friends on Friday/Saturday night instead of sitting still while I put Curlformers in. We are more relaxed, having a better time and getting more sleep courtesy of her Posh Pony, who has been lovingly named Frank, by another Cheer Dad! SO worth it!

ETA - I must be doing something right, because I always have girls coming to me to do (or fix) their hair and make up at comps. I guess the hooker look is in.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So much of this is relatable. Hair and makeup takes an hour, TOPS. Take it out and off takes like 5-10 minutes and she can just go to bed if she wants. Relaxation, yes. We literally walked into Cheersport for meet times at 6:30 am, carrying 'La'teasa Slay' (as my daughter named her) with no makeup and having just rolled up out of the bed. 15 minutes later she looked (and more importantly felt like) like a million bucks. And yes, I've noticed a dramatic uptick in the requests for her teammates for her to do their hair and makeup. And guess what? She has time to do it!

Yes, the hooker look must be in, because she gets stopped and/or stared at and/or openly commented on how fabulous her hair is about every 10 steps. We had a coach actually stop her while he was on the way to warm ups with his team, and use her as an example for how all of their hair should look the following day. The parents were all in a tizzy asking me how. My response, "Hell, I don't know. Call this lady!" while I handed them a Pinups business card.

I see your wig and raise you a pair of ridiculously priced cheer shoes. With the exchange rate the Infinity Titans came out to $170. I feel like an idiot too except hoping the design will help CP's ankles that tend to roll and hyper extend. If not, I just bought into the hype of a pair of shoes and feel like a knob! :confused: At least our kids will have overpriced shoes and fabulous hair! haha
Off topic, but I've had a lifetime of weak ankles. High tops are great at protecting from injury, but they don't strengthen the ankle itself which is the best prevention. My PT explained that the ankle needs to have those little balance checks to send signals to the brain to react quickly to tighten the muscles when needed. These exercises help the ankle get stronger so it can react quickly to protect itself when you land slightly wrong. When CP broke her ankle she got the same list of exercises to do for her rehab. My CP is a flyer and she balances predominately on her right leg. We found that ankle was really strong and her left ankle was the weaker one.

Balance on one leg (like in a lib) - try to work up to 30-60 sec
Balancing on one leg - gently toss a ball back and forth with someone.
Use a theraband to strengthen ankle - pulling the band with her ankle sideways both directions, forward & back
Calf raises - start both legs and then work to single leg

If any of these become too easy and you think she still needs strengthening, she can use a balance board, bosu ball, or a soft foam mat to do these exercises on. You can get a cheap balance board or foam mat online. The bosu ball is more expensive.

These will help strengthen the ankle to help prevent it from rolling.

Carry on with crazy cheer mom stories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Off topic, but I've had a lifetime of weak ankles. High tops are great at protecting from injury, but they don't strengthen the ankle itself which is the best prevention. My PT explained that the ankle needs to have those little balance checks to send signals to the brain to react quickly to tighten the muscles when needed. These exercises help the ankle get stronger so it can react quickly to protect itself when you land slightly wrong. When CP broke her ankle she got the same list of exercises to do for her rehab. My CP is a flyer and she balances predominately on her right leg. We found that ankle was really strong and her left ankle was the weaker one.

Use a theraband to strengthen ankle - pulling the band with her ankle sideways both directions, forward & back

If any of these become too easy and you think she still needs strengthening, she can use a balance board, bosu ball, or a soft foam mat to do these exercises on. You can get a cheap balance board or foam mat online. The bosu ball is more expensive.

yes to all of this! CP is a dancer as well as cheerleader and much of this was part or her pre-pointe ankle strengthening workout before being allowed to go en pointe. They did extensive work with therabands and balance boards/balls. We worked daily with therabands at home as well.

Can you customize how much hair is actually put into the piece? Its a great idea, I just hate when the piece is bigger than the child lol.

Yes, you can. I made that specific request because my CP is on the smaller side and I didn't want her to look overwhelmed with hair.

I think cheer coaches in general are absolutely ridiculous when it comes to the hair thing. Secure your hair out of your face. There's no reason for all this other pomp and circumstance. If your fake hair changes the score of your routine so much that it affects the outcome of the competition, you're attending joke of a competition anyway. I feel the same way about makeup. Unless they're highlighting their teeth so that the judges can see them smile, just look freakin natural. I see teams walking around cheer competitions with eye liner and other stuff caked on like bargain-basement street-walkers. I just roll my eyes, because I know their skills are just as fake as their appearance.

Maybe the reason is simply that girls like to get fixed up and think it's fun. I, for one, am glad we are well past the days of the glitter eyeshadows and lipsticks. To each his own. Hair and makeup does not have any bearing on the quality of a cheer competition or the talent of the child wearing it. Likening young girls to "bargain-basement street-walkers" with fake skills, however, is tasteless. I get your point (even agree somewhat), but that's too far.

Maybe the reason is simply that girls like to get fixed up and think it's fun. I, for one, am glad we are well past the days of the glitter eyeshadows and lipsticks. To each his own. Hair and makeup does not have any bearing on the quality of a cheer competition or the talent of the child wearing it. Likening young girls to "bargain-basement street-walkers" with fake skills, however, is tasteless. I get your point (even agree somewhat), but that's too far.
Clearly that woman is a forum troll and out to get reactions out of people since it's evident that she doesn't know what she's talking about. I can name several of the big gyms around the country that have incredibly talented athletes as well as numerous banners and trophies that showcase how talented their cheerleaders are. AND they have poufy, teased hair and wear make up. A person's appearance isn't an indicator of how talented they are.

in addition to being glad the pouf is gone, I'm super glad star stickers are gone too. Always irritated my cp skin

Thanks for sharing! CP is in PT to strengthen her wrists and ankles. We'll be sure to add the ball toss one you mentioned. She's been working on the other ones and also works on balancing on a stability ball. It's getting better very slowly. After practice this week her coaches commented that her stunts were better. For all I know it's a placebo effect and not the shoes but we'll take it.

Thanks for sharing! CP is in PT to strengthen her wrists and ankles. We'll be sure to add the ball toss one you mentioned. She's been working on the other ones and also works on balancing on a stability ball. It's getting better very slowly. After practice this week her coaches commented that her stunts were better. For all I know it's a placebo effect and not the shoes but we'll take it.
Reason #4564 why PT's should be in more cheer gyms haha. Just holding out hope for my dream job!

Reason #4564 why PT's should be in more cheer gyms haha. Just holding out hope for my dream job!
We have a full clinic on site including PT, chiropractor and RMT. It's wonderful because they also take families as clients. It's a one-stop shop and we all use and pay for the services. :)

We have a full clinic on site including PT, chiropractor and RMT. It's wonderful because they also take families as clients. It's a one-stop shop and we all use and pay for the services. :)
Yea, I keep hearing about this in Canada, I don't think there is anything similar in the states. If I was more comfortable with the business side of things, I would definitely start it on my own.

Yea, I keep hearing about this in Canada, I don't think there is anything similar in the states. If I was more comfortable with the business side of things, I would definitely start it on my own.
What's even better is all of the people in the clinic are former cheerleaders (All Star and College) and know the stress that the body takes from cheer. The PT actually works out of 3 gyms in the area and rotates her days. I also know of a concussion clinic that operates a location out of another gym in the area. It's great to see the health and safety of athlete's being taken seriously. We also had the PT do a concussion baseline test on CP. Not taking any chances!

Back