Crooked Tumbling/bhs?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 19, 2011
My coach says that my shoulders are crooked in my back handspring ( Both standing and from a round off.) I've been working on it for awhile, and i'm trying to push them back and it feels like i am, but i guess i'm not? i'm not really sure if this is the problem or not.. my left hand is further back then my right hand, which is also pointing not out, but to the side while my other hand is pointing in. if this makes sense, lol. Its making my tumbling crooked and my coach isn't allowing me to start back tucks untill the problem is resolved. its been four months, and there has been slight improvementbut..no less, still not good enough. What should i do? This is really frustrating! I hope i'm posting in the right spot, as it said i could only post here until further notice haha. Thanks guys!

This might be weird, but back when i did allstars and was having problems and my coach wasnt helpful, i took a few privates at another gym to help with my full. It helped me, and if its possible, I'd suggest doing the same.

yeah to be honest i was actually considering that. my coach doesn't pay much attention to the problem anymore since everyone else is starting to move on and its really frustrating! i just feel like they will be mad at me if i do that, you know i what i mean? but yeah, i think i will do that thanks!

Well, just try it, and dont say anything to your coach so as not to anger him/her. Just go to a few privates, maybe two or three, because it may take a bit, and tell me how it goes! Good luck!

yeah to be honest i was actually considering that. my coach doesn't pay much attention to the problem anymore since everyone else is starting to move on and its really frustrating! i just feel like they will be mad at me if i do that, you know i what i mean? but yeah, i think i will do that thanks!
Before I got hurt & was still tumbling (and still at my old gym for that matter), we were in a gymnastics gym, and I did privates with the head gym tumbling coach. Gymnasts are more geared toward the form and technique rather than just getting the pass itself, and that actually helped me a lot. I would go back if it wouldn't be an awkward situation lol :)

I wouldn't recommend working on tucks when your back handspring is not perfect, it will just lead to bad technique in tucks/layouts etc. Your coach is smart about that choice.
But i would recommend looking into tumbling at a gymnastics gym, because as alexamarysouza said, they REALLY focus on technique and may have that one tip that just clicks for you to help you fix this!

csdaFIERCE , be careful. Though it may be tempting to run off and take privates someplace where the coach will let you move on to the next skill, it's probably not the safest idea. I know you're frustrated and tired of being held back. But you have to remember, the execution of a skill is way more important than just chucking it, for safety and aesthetic reasons. Plus, if your skill isn't executed properly, you might not be able to physically progress to the next skill. How upsetting would it be to work on your tuck, just to find out that because your BHS wasn't quite right, you now have to go back and re-learn it all.
Maybe get a "second opinion," but remember that your current coach probably wants what's best for you in the long run.
Good luck!

I wouldn't start working new skills without the coaches approval, but i think i will attend a back handspring clinic at a gymnastics gym that i heard about via a friend a few towns over this week and see how it goes. I know that they know whats best, but when everyone else is moving along and your coach is doing sets and such with them while your stuck working on your round off back handspring pass...its frustrating, especially when the coaches don't pay much attention to your tumbling pass anymore..or give much feed back for that matter either. thanks guys!

I had that same problem, but only in my standing bhs (it can become a bad habit if you dont focus on the skill itself). Make sure you are always looking at your arms, squeeze shoulders and hips, dont throw your head back, and with a good snap down you will land straight. Also ask for your coach to spot you once in a while for extra tips or things he notices. If you have a cheese wedge mat at your gym then work on back handsprings on there . The cheese mat really helped because it lets you stretch your bhs out and since you are elevated you're mentally focused to stay straight so you wont fall off. I hope this helps:)

try working on the entry of your round-off. stand there and do the beginning of your round-off to handstand and hold it for 5 sec. fixing your handstand will greatly improve your tumbling. Good Luck

just keep trying. film it and see if you can see where you go wrong. i tumble a little crooked because i push off harder on one of my legs

Are you squeezing your arms by your ears or are you letting the pressure off? Work on your handstand pushups against the wall to control your arm movements and shoulder strength. I agree that maybe trying another coach could work, but you don't want to progress until you fix the form. That's where the execution scores come from. Good luck!

When I took tumbling my friend did the same on her standing back handspring and half the time o her round off back handspring. Her problem wa her round off was crooked so her back handspring continued crooked

Back