OT Cures For Anxiety?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jul 26, 2010
I get really bad anxiety/panic attacks which have only started this season.
I've competed before with nerves, but nothing as bad as this.

Nowadays it I even think of Nationals which is in two months I get really panicky, and I've been physically sick because of it.

What do you guys suggest for such terrible nerves?!

Doctors!! I'm on medication for anxiety been on them for like 2-3years! I used to puke all the time and about going into panic attacks. Tablets really help xxx

Do a google search for "visualization in sports". Read through some of those articles online.....they might help you :). Good luck!

Think back to the last time you thought you would never make it past that day/event. Now think about the time before that.

Guess what? It's today and you made past all those times. All the times you thought there was nothing you could do to get past what you were doing, but you did.

And you will make it this time as well.

Smile.

Theres a girl on my team that gets panic attacks right before we compete, or right after it just started happening last comp.. but it happened both days, and now she is on medication.

i used to get really bad panic attacks so now i'm on anti-anxiety meds and every time i start to get anxious, i have a cold, wet towel to put on my face and neck, an ice cold bottle of water, and something to squeeze like playdough or a squishy ball. i hope this all helps!

this tumbling block therapist taught me this method. its called four square breathing. you breath is for four counts, hold for four counts, release for four counts and hold for four counts. you repeat this process a total of 4 times. it actually helps me calm down. ive used it for tumbling, surgery or anytime i feel sick to my stomach. good luck!

I see a therapist and it really helped me. I'm on anxiety pills now, but you can do treatment without drugs. They can teach you deep breathing and positive self-talk techniques that really do help.

I've gone from being unable to eat days before and after a competition and carrying a trashcan through Cheersport Nationals to catch the puke (ew!) to being completely calm competing at UCA College Nationals. Cheerleading becomes so much more fun when you aren't anxious.

this tumbling block therapist taught me this method. its called four square breathing. you breath is for four counts, hold for four counts, release for four counts and hold for four counts. you repeat this process a total of 4 times. it actually helps me calm down. ive used it for tumbling, surgery or anytime i feel sick to my stomach. good luck!

I NEED to use this... I have HORRIBLE anxiety about throwing up and it hits me whenever I get like, the smallest upset stomach, like the feeling that leads to throwing up. It's so bad because I go into a panic attack that actually causes me to get sick even faster. This actually sounds like it will really help. THANK YOUUUUU!!!

I am definitely going to try the breathing method...I think that will help calm me down a little. I have been cheering for almost 14 years now--thank goodness the mental blocks are gone for the most part and my performance anxiety has improved drastically as well. When I was younger I would barely eat even the night before the competition and my Mom would really shove a bagel down my throat that morning. I always felt sick prior to competing, but the second I hit the floor I'm fine and happier then ever! haha Visualization has really helped me along with just thinking of something else and avoiding thinking negative thoughts ie. what if this happens or this..I have the same issue on occassions with some stunts and some tumbling passes. I am definitely going to check out the link SharkDad posted too--Thanks, SharkDad! :)

There is definitely hope for all us "mental queens" out there! haha It was the BEST day of my life when I just decided to go for my bhs in the routine no warm up spot or anything and then from then on my confidence has only increased!!

I had a therapist teach me how to head off anxiety attacks. It works. First, think of five things you feel: your shoes on the floor, the way your shirt is touching your skin, etc.. Then, think of five things you hear at the moment, then five things you see. Keep it all in the moment and just keep thinking of the five, five, and five, trying to find different things each time. What this exercise does is put you directly in the moment you're in. It gets you out of that horrible land of "what if" that can send us into a tailspin. I use this a lot. I hope it helps you.

Back