All-Star D2 Summit Headed To Disney

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Interesting, and yes, not exactly what I had envisioned but, very similar. I still feel World's and Summit are here to stay for a long time as the coveted final travel destination events...we all want our Dippin' Dots at the end of the day. But, I envision the actual bid earning events to be simultaneous, entail live feeds at several locations across the Nation, with the feed flipping live, venue to venue to compete. Other than the "experience" of getting to travel somewhere, travel is a huge negative to All Star and it isn't necessary to identify a winner. Kids wouldn't miss as much school. Parents save thousands on travel. The athletes have more time in the gym. Varsity would gain more sales on live feed subscriptions than they would from actual seating.

That's an interesting idea.

This is how I see it-
It would be nice if all the bid events took place from say February 1 - April 1. Each weekend, there is 1 Worlds/Summit bid event that takes place across 6 states. (So 8 "events" total to earn a bid at, and 48 states host their part of the event, sorry Hawaii and Alaska) Each weekend, they give out X amount of at large or partially paid bids, and then the top videos from each state's competition goes to a digital platform where the grand winners are identified. Each grand winner gets a paid bid.
This would cut down on the amount of bids (sorry, I still think there are too many) and save the parents money on travel (unless they go to a bunch of different states). Varsity could even raise the competition entrance fees by 50$ since parents wouldn't be spending a bunch on hotels and flights.

Interesting, and yes, not exactly what I had envisioned but, very similar. I still feel World's and Summit are here to stay for a long time as the coveted final travel destination events...we all want our Dippin' Dots at the end of the day. But, I envision the actual bid earning events to be simultaneous, entail live feeds at several locations across the Nation, with the feed flipping live, venue to venue to compete. Other than the "experience" of getting to travel somewhere, travel is a huge negative to All Star and it isn't necessary to identify a winner. Kids wouldn't miss as much school. Parents save thousands on travel. The athletes have more time in the gym. Varsity would gain more sales on live feed subscriptions than they would from actual seating.

While I think your vision is cool, I don't think the part of the cheer world that makes money agrees with you. Travel means hotel blocks. For people who don't know, hotels give kick-backs to travel companies who give kick-backs to EPs who often times give them to the gyms for attending their comps. One reason for stay-to-play, but there other comps that use this model as well.

Parents of eager cheerleaders like competitions where they don't only compete with 2 in their division and they are willing to travel to get that.

Worlds, NCA Dallas, CHEERSPORT, JAMFEST Supernationals have each gotten bigger each year, not smaller because of the cost. That's why SUMMIT was created and I would guess that D2 SUMMIT is a great moneymaker for Varsity as well.

While I think your vision is cool, I don't think the part of the cheer world that makes money agrees with you. Travel means hotel blocks. For people who don't know, hotels give kick-backs to travel companies who give kick-backs to EPs who often times give them to the gyms for attending their comps. One reason for stay-to-play, but there other comps that use this model as well.

Parents of eager cheerleaders like competitions where they don't only compete with 2 in their division and they are willing to travel to get that.

Worlds, NCA Dallas, CHEERSPORT, JAMFEST Supernationals have each gotten bigger each year, not smaller because of the cost. That's why SUMMIT was created and I would guess that D2 SUMMIT is a great moneymaker for Varsity as well.

I understand what you're saying but, ultimately it will depend what the trade off is profit wise. While I get these venues have grown and rebates are involved, the growth has also become problematic.

Take NCA, a few years ago a family with 2+ children in the program could fly into Dallas on Friday and leave on Monday, let's say at $150 per night so, $450 plus food and their children miss 2 days of school. A couple of years ago, they had to add an additional day so, now possibly paying $600 with hotel expense, another day of food and their children miss 3 days of school. Now this year, possibly be $750, another day of food and their children miss 4 days of school. To top that off, some gyms attend both NCA and Cheersport, which is the weekend prior so, the kids are potentially going to miss 6-7 days of school within an 8-9 school day window. Here is where the trade offs start coming in. Is the gym owner losing clients because, of the expense or because of missed days of school? Ignore the Mega gyms right now and concentrate on the small to medium gyms. The wealthier clients will just travel farther and go to the Mega gyms because, they can afford the travel and tutors, the others will just start removing their kids. There are only so many Mega gyms and Varsity will feel the loss of the small to medium gyms.

Do I think All Star is ready to go to virtual competitions today? Absolutely not. But, I think of it in terms of doing a local play of Star Wars where they battle one planet at a time versus having a play of Star Wars go on in multiple cities battling the whole universe simultaneously and interacting on a big screen (no competing against 1 other team as you stated above):starwars:. Then offering "pay per view" at home. Are you going to make more money from the local play and rebates or from several local plays, smaller amount of rebates but, huge amount of viewing subscriptions? Honestly, I don't know. I know nothing about the profitability on streaming subscriptions but, if it's profitable it will solve a lot of problems with growth and expense. Back in the day, I never thought I would stop traveling for business but, video conferences came along. People refused at first not wanting to lose the personal contact but, finally gave in when it didn't make sense financially any longer. If profitable, it's a win for everyone in the industry.

Live Streaming's Next Lucrative Frontier: Yoga | Fast Company | Business + Innovation
ETA: An interesting read, I don't know how reliable

Last edited:
@catlady like I said it's a cool idea, but I see it more as another competition to reach customers who aren't a willing to travel.

As you described, those big competition are getting bigger, not smaller and while we complain about it her on Fierce as parents, the industry will keep finding more unique travel opportunities to make the same profit margin off of until it proves it doesn't work.
So far the roughly 400,000 kids in all star cheer have proven to still be profitable even at higher cost.

@catlady like I said it's a cool idea, but I see it more as another competition to reach customers who aren't a willing to travel.

As you described, those big competition are getting bigger, not smaller and while we complain about it her on Fierce as parents, the industry will keep finding more unique travel opportunities to make the same profit margin off of until it proves it doesn't work.
So far the roughly 400,000 kids in all star cheer have proven to still be profitable even at higher cost.
I completely agree with this. In fact I was laughing to myself thinking Varsity will likely make some airline deals in the upcoming future as well. Is cheer getting to be "unaffordable"? Yes, but that doesn't mean families aren't making the decision to keep at it while making sacrifices (or bad choices) in order to afford it.
Also, looking at the VOD competition model... It was done with All Levels and that still cost me in travel. I may not have travelled as far but it still was airfare and a hotel so really not much of a savings (and it was even in the same state! #bigstateproblems)
Anyway, I totally agree with @SharkDad and feel like it may be "another thing" but it will never replace the current big comp model despite the "bankrupting" of many a cheer family.

I completely agree with this. In fact I was laughing to myself thinking Varsity will likely make some airline deals in the upcoming future as well. Is cheer getting to be "unaffordable"? Yes, but that doesn't mean families aren't making the decision to keep at it while making sacrifices (or bad choices) in order to afford it.

I was just thinking along the same lines. I'm pretty convinced that with Varsity, and USASF ( and Cheer in general), we have an ever expanding circle of "stakeholders" that influence the industry. Airlines, Disney, Connections, and any other STP services are all players now too. Can't see that changing anytime soon.

@SharkDad @MissCongeniality @MomMomMamaMom I respect your opinions but, I'm thinking of the global possibilities, as well. Currently, all comps have X number of teams, seating, hotels, and airline tickets available to them, they will still cap out eventually in all areas. Imagine NCA being held at 6 venues simultaneous in the US competing against each other, all pretty much within driving distance for most gyms. Varsity will still get hotel kick backs. They will increase venue seating dollars and they have the opportunity to accommodate more teams. More teams means more spectators, more spectators means more subscriptions. Judges can sit in their living rooms and judge. World's and Summit would still be around, traveling still happens but, kids miss less school, competitions don't last 4 days, levels can still compete by arena, viewers can switch to what level they want to watch, etc. Gyms win because they pay for less travel, they have more class income, they see multiple teams on each level at one comp and have more athlete training time between comps to make changes. Parents win because, they can drive versus flying to most comps, less hotel and food. Varsity wins because they can eventually make this global and the subscription for viewing is limitless as long as their streaming can handle it. Think bigger. Rebates are child's play in the corporate world but, if you own the production company doing the streaming on this scale....game, point, beyond the $$$ I can even imagine.

@SharkDad @MissCongeniality @MomMomMamaMom I respect your opinions but, I'm thinking of the global possibilities, as well. Currently, all comps have X number of teams, seating, hotels, and airline tickets available to them, they will still cap out eventually in all areas. Imagine NCA being held at 6 venues simultaneous in the US competing against each other, all pretty much within driving distance for most gyms. Varsity will still get hotel kick backs. They will increase venue seating dollars and they have the opportunity to accommodate more teams. More teams means more spectators, more spectators means more subscriptions. Judges can sit in their living rooms and judge. World's and Summit would still be around, traveling still happens but, kids miss less school, competitions don't last 4 days, levels can still compete by arena, viewers can switch to what level they want to watch, etc. Gyms win because they pay for less travel, they have more class income, they see multiple teams on each level at one comp and have more athlete training time between comps to make changes. Parents win because, they can drive versus flying to most comps, less hotel and food. Varsity wins because they can eventually make this global and the subscription for viewing is limitless as long as their streaming can handle it. Think bigger. Rebates are child's play in the corporate world but, if you own the production company doing the streaming on this scale....game, point, beyond the $$$ I can even imagine.
Oh don't get me wrong, I see how what you propose here could be awesome, and innovative and mutually beneficial to all. I just don't see an industry that has shown much inclination towards being innovative and client centered. I think it's short sighted, and I wish it weren't that way.

Oh don't get me wrong, I see how what you propose here could be awesome, and innovative and mutually beneficial to all. I just don't see an industry that has shown much inclination towards being innovative and client centered. I think it's short sighted, and I wish it weren't that way.

I'm not a fan of all corporations but, I will admit, from a business standpoint I have a lot of respect for Varsity. I know I'm in the minority but, as a veteran corporate executive, I respectfully disagree. Varsity employees genuinely seem to be happy which is #1 on my grading scale and excellent margins #2. There is no other way to achieve happy employees and continue to gain market share without being in tune with both. I also know from being in that atmosphere, contrary to what people believe, all non-necessity corporations know out-pricing their consumer is a bad plan.

While some will state World's has outgrown Disney but, they have decided to stay and build a stadium with less seating and think "how stupid can they be?" I ask myself why would they do that? Perhaps they're stupid, or perhaps they are partnering with one of the best production company's on the planet....Disney World, Disney Land, whatever Disney in Europe is called. :cool:

I'm not a fan of all corporations but, I will admit, from a business standpoint I have a lot of respect for Varsity. I know I'm in the minority but, as a veteran corporate executive, I respectfully disagree. Varsity employees genuinely seem to be happy which is #1 on my grading scale and excellent margins #2. There is no other way to achieve happy employees and continue to gain market share without being in tune with both. I also know from being in that atmosphere, contrary to what people believe, all non-necessity corporations know out-pricing their consumer is a bad plan.

While some will state World's has outgrown Disney but, they have decided to stay and build a stadium with less seating and think "how stupid can they be?" I ask myself why would they do that? Perhaps they're stupid, or perhaps they are partnering with one of the best production companies on the planet....Disney World, Disney Land, whatever Disney in Europe is called. :cool:
I'm confused? Varsity employees being happy is awesome. But by clients I guess I more mean consumers. I'd even go so far as to agree that Varsity is remarkably good at acquiring and satisfying stakeholders, which I am sure plays very nicely into their ability to consistently increase their market share. To continue to grow, I suppose that they will have to increase profitability for each stakeholder, AND spending power on the consumer end, but right now the focus seems to be on increasing the amount of money spent per participant. Eventually, I do believe that this will cap out... And then, the focus will need to shift to having more consumers, and making their products more accessible to more people, I just don't think we are there yet.

Also, looking at the VOD competition model... It was done with All Levels and that still cost me in travel. I may not have travelled as far but it still was airfare and a hotel so really not much of a savings (and it was even in the same state! #bigstateproblems)
Anyway, I totally agree with @SharkDad and feel like it may be "another thing" but it will never replace the current big comp model despite the "bankrupting" of many a cheer family.

Fly-to-stay-to-play...

I'm confused? Varsity employees being happy is awesome. But by clients I guess I more mean consumers. I'd even go so far as to agree that Varsity is remarkably good at acquiring and satisfying stakeholders, which I am sure plays very nicely into their ability to consistently increase their market share. To continue to grow, I suppose that they will have to increase profitability for each stakeholder, AND spending power on the consumer end, but right now the focus seems to be on increasing the amount of money spent per participant. Eventually, I do believe that this will cap out... And then, the focus will need to shift to having more consumers, and making their products more accessible to more people, I just don't think we are there yet.

I'm sorry, I meant consumers, as well. I should have worded it as, "you can't have happy employees and gain market share with consumers without being in tune with both." As far as, increasing the amount of money spent per participant, the cost burden on the consumer for extra hotel (approx. $150), food ($100+) and kids missing school per day isn't worth a mere $15 (approx.) per room rebate for Varsity from a hotel. If that were the case, Varsity would just charge $15 more for entry and reduce travel costs and we would all be ecstatic. I know AS online streaming isn't there yet but, my point was only, streaming a National comp like NCA at multiple locations across the Nation (eventually World), could be the answer to combating high travel costs, outgrowing venues and really be pretty cool. Come on, let a girl dream.;)

@catlady It's a cool, innovative concept and a great possibility for execution if Varsity feels it's profitable.

We are all missing a major concept in the business incentives: competition. No company can compete on the scale that Varsity operates and Varsity continues to put barriers in place for companies to try. They effectively have a monopoly on providing this industry to parents who will pay to keep Suzy happy in an activity she loves.

I'm sorry, I meant consumers, as well. I should have worded it as, "you can't have happy employees and gain market share with consumers without being in tune with both." As far as, increasing the amount of money spent per participant, the cost burden on the consumer for extra hotel (approx. $150), food ($100+) and kids missing school per day isn't worth a mere $15 (approx.) per room rebate for Varsity from a hotel. If that were the case, Varsity would just charge $15 more for entry and reduce travel costs and we would all be ecstatic. I know AS online streaming isn't there yet but, my point was only, streaming a National comp like NCA at multiple locations across the Nation (eventually World), could be the answer to combating high travel costs, outgrowing venues and really be pretty cool. Come on, let a girl dream.;)
Dream away :) For cost per participant I was thinking more in terms of teams and programs ( more teams come to varsity events because they have to get bids) But I so agree that the cost to the individual is not really worth the profit margin. I suppose having a travel company, the tourism industry, Walt Disney etc., really vested in your event/brands success is worth more than any rebates though. They now care if you come, because...$. And if yours is the most profitable brand, then I'm sure there are advantages over your competition. I'm just guessing, but I am guessing that these markets are easier to corner regionally with larger numbers. . They need great thinkers like you to help them become more innovative:)

TBH I would bet $ that Varsity doesn't care, even marginally, how much school my kids miss, how many extra days I'm required to pay their stakeholders, or how much time I have to take off work, as long as I keep paying it. And right now, they have little enough competition to worry about that!

Back