All-Star D2 Summit Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 23, 2015
Two of our teams just received AL bids to D2 summit. We're very excited, as we are a super small gym, and it's the first time our program has ever received a bid to a Summit event. (New coach this year has really turned around our program.)

I know this is the first year for D2, but both of our teams are in really huge divisions (small Y1 and small J3). How does a competition manage so many teams? Is it just straight Day 1 scores, and then highest scores go to finals on Day 2?

I'd heard if there were over 40 J3 teams, and there are, the division might split. How would that work? (Since we're already small and in a small gym comp).

We're all scrambling trying to make travel plans, etc., because although we'd hoped our teams might get a bid, we have only been to two comps that had them, so we definitely weren't counting on it.

Thanks in advance for any insight you might offer.

I have no idea, but I'm curious about your hotel accommodations as our D2 team hasn't gotten a room block yet. Private message is fine if you're comfortable sharing. :)

Double post, but I'm sort of shocked by how expensive Tampa is compared to Orlando. This could easily be the most expensive competition this year.

The j3 division is always a huge one. I remember there being close to 30 last year and we all fought it out in one division. I don't think I've ever seen a division split in summit. I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong
And yes the top (I believe it's 10) day 1 scores move on and day 2 is a clean slate.

Two of our teams just received AL bids to D2 summit. We're very excited, as we are a super small gym, and it's the first time our program has ever received a bid to a Summit event. (New coach this year has really turned around our program.) I know this is the first year for D2, but both of our teams are in really huge divisions (small Y1 and small J3). How does a competition manage so many teams? Is it just straight Day 1 scores, and then highest scores go to finals on Day 2? I'd heard if there were over 40 J3 teams, and there are, the division might split. How would that work? (Since we're already small and in a small gym comp). We're all scrambling trying to make travel plans, etc., because although we'd hoped our teams might get a bid, we have only been to two comps that had them, so we definitely weren't counting on it. Thanks in advance for any insight you might offer.

Copied from the D2 Summit FAQ page:
All divisions with 10 or less teams in Semi Finals will have 8 teams advance to finals
All divisions with 11-19 teams in Semi Finals will have 75% of the division advance to finals
All divisions with 20 or more teams in Semi Finals will have 15 teams in the division advance to finals

I have no idea, but I'm curious about your hotel accommodations as our D2 team hasn't gotten a room block yet. Private message is fine if you're comfortable sharing. :)

I think our coach just sent our list to them today, so it sounds as if we could be waiting a while based on what you're saying. We just got the bid last weekend.

The j3 division is always a huge one. I remember there being close to 30 last year and we all fought it out in one division. I don't think I've ever seen a division split in summit. I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong
And yes the top (I believe it's 10) day 1 scores move on and day 2 is a clean slate.

I just can't imagine how they'd split the division in a way that would make sense.

Double post, but I'm sort of shocked by how expensive Tampa is compared to Orlando. This could easily be the most expensive competition this year.
If you'll have a car, I highly recommend staying in Oldsmar or even Clearwater! Each are about a 20/25 drive from the convention center and is usually cheaper. Clearwater is closer to the beaches as well ;)

If you'll have a car, I highly recommend staying in Oldsmar or even Clearwater! Each are about a 20/25 drive from the convention center and is usually cheaper. Clearwater is closer to the beaches as well ;)

It's stay-to-play...which is really sucking in this situation, I'm thinking. Our gym has had a bid for a couple of weeks, but hasn't been able to get a block. Also I priced cars and they're like $350 for a week out of Tampa. [emoji15] And that's through Costco!

Copied from the D2 Summit FAQ page:
All divisions with 10 or less teams in Semi Finals will have 8 teams advance to finals
All divisions with 11-19 teams in Semi Finals will have 75% of the division advance to finals
All divisions with 20 or more teams in Semi Finals will have 15 teams in the division advance to finals
So is everyone in Semi Finals? Like, is Day 1 considered Semi Finals? That's the part I didn't see. (Maybe I'll go look at the big Summit page and see if I can figure it out from there.)

It's stay-to-play...which is really sucking in this situation, I'm thinking. Our gym has had a bid for a couple of weeks, but hasn't been able to get a block. Also I priced cars and they're like $350 for a week out of Tampa. [emoji15] And that's through Costco!
Oh whoops, didn't know that! But oh boy, that's a lot

Are you flying into TIA?

Oh whoops, didn't know that! But oh boy, that's a lot

Are you flying into TIA?

I'm still in the shopping phase. I'm just super surprised by the costs. Airfare is higher than I expected, too, at this point. I'm waiting a bit hoping it will go down.

I thought Tampa was chosen to be more affordable as well for smaller gyms with less resources, etc. ? That stinks...

I'm still in the shopping phase. I'm just super surprised by the costs. Airfare is higher than I expected, too, at this point. I'm waiting a bit hoping it will go down.
Hmm, well definitely look into St. Pete/Clearwater airport. A lot of budget airlines fly into there. It's just a quick drive over the bridge to get to Tampa and rental cars might be cheaper there.

I thought Tampa was chosen to be more affordable as well for smaller gyms with less resources, etc. ? That stinks...

Yes. I thought the same. To be fair, flights and cars in Orlando are high right now, too. I'm hopeful the prices will change. Also, I've not seen the hotels for our gym yet...but what I've seen is far more than what I've seen in Orlando. I looked in Clearwater, after it was suggested, and we would move there if we stayed a few days after. Especially coming from so far, expensive rooms are a problem. We are forced to stay longer than people who are closer to Florida. I can't see how I could do it without renting a car...and I'm just shocked by how expensive they are there.

Back