High School Dance Choreo

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 14, 2010
As far as UCA style cheer goes... what makes a good dance? Two 8-counts? Four? Lots of levels? Everyone doing the same thing? Motions only? I'm so lost!

I've seen awesome teams with super all star dances, AND motion-y dances.

If anyone is willing to share scores on that section, that would help us all understand what style dances score higher or lower.

Thanks!

Levels, four to six 8-counts. Maybe about six counts of everyone doing the same thing. Use the floor as much as you can, and change around formations. You also must have "musicality," meaning that your music has to go well with your dance. So if you have a song with a latin theme, you can't do fist pumping or like, a fashionista dance. Also, change the speed of the dance. So slow down for about two counts. Also, have lots of fancy visual effects.

This past year we pretty much always scored at least 4 out of 5 for our dance. It was 3 eight counts, very motion-y with lots of ripples and level changes.
The year before we had more of an all star dance I guess and we usually scored 3 or 3.5.

We compete at the UCA camps with home pom routines and they seem to like really motion-y stuff like they said, but we also added in a little dance stuff. You just have to make it sharp and clean. I know it's not a full competition routine, but I think that this is a great UCA Home Pom! And will hopefully give you some ideas, good luck!

WHS CHEERLEADERS 1ST place Home Pom - YouTube

Levels, four to six 8-counts. Maybe about six counts of everyone doing the same thing. Use the floor as much as you can, and change around formations. You also must have "musicality," meaning that your music has to go well with your dance. So if you have a song with a latin theme, you can't do fist pumping or like, a fashionista dance. Also, change the speed of the dance. So slow down for about two counts. Also, have lots of fancy visual effects.
That sounds like an all star dance to me. I have never seen a finals team at UCA dance for more than 4. Maybe you're thinking of NCA?

That sounds like an all star dance to me. I have never seen a finals team at UCA dance for more than 4. Maybe you're thinking of NCA?
Oh... you're making up a dance for camp? I got confused, I thought you were talking about competition season. Sorry, forget what I said.

For UCA, definitely no more than 2 to 3 8-counts. Use lots of MOTIONS and LEVELS. Keep it appropriate, but not basic. Difficulty will score well, and be sure to change the formation multiple times.
And make sure it's super sharp

For UCA, definitely no more than 2 to 3 8-counts. Use lots of MOTIONS and LEVELS. Keep it appropriate, but not basic. Difficulty will score well, and be sure to change the formation multiple times.
And make sure it's super sharp
Thank you! I hope to score higher on this this year :)

UCA High School Dance... 2-3 8 counts. Synchro, levels, formation change, floor work and ripples. It's hard but can be done! Since its only out of 5, I try to score at least 3.5 :)

Oh yeah, also, even if you have this stuff, they are going to tell you to add more, so get the elements in, make sure it's sharp and worry about other things. No lie @ our league comp who is judged though UCA we got a 4/5 and were asked to add more of everything. REALLY! The positive, the year before I didn't do my dance and we were only scoring 2.5's so I really cracked down!

Oh yeah, also, even if you have this stuff, they are going to tell you to add more, so get the elements in, make sure it's sharp and worry about other things. No lie @ our league comp who is judged though UCA we got a 4/5 and were asked to add more of everything. REALLY! The positive, the year before I didn't do my dance and we were only scoring 2.5's so I really cracked down!
Do you have a video of the dance that scored a 4/5?

Your best bet is to You tube teams who've competed at UCA nationals, specially ones that have placed higher. That way you can get an overall feeling of what needs to be there and what the judges want to see. The best teams who've attended UCA for years have it down to a science!

Back