All-Star Deciding Between Two Gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Tn cheer mom

Cheer Parent
Aug 30, 2013
I have a male cheerleader who is level 5. He has been wanting to try out for both California All-Stars and ACE Warriors. We are in TN. He is 17 and will be 18 in Oct. He was given the opportunity to compete with CA last year but due to personal issues we were unable to send him. He is wanting to continue cheer in college. Any suggestions, advice, etc would be greatly appreciated. (with money not being a factor) Thank you

So in Sept, will he still be in high school or in college? A few years ago, 18 in Oct meant you could still be in high school....

My CP will turn 18 in October of her senior year. Cutoff here is Sept 1 so we have lots of kids in that situation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Where we r u have to b 5 by December 31st to go to kindergarten so some kids super-super Sr.
I always find it funny that I could have super super super seniored if I had done all star cheer at the time. This was before they changed the cut off date to August 31 and it was still May 31, though. It would have only been 2 years with the current cut off.

If he's in Tennessee; have you considered looking at a gym like GymTyme since they work so closely with Louisville? If his goal is to cheer in college, he should be taking clinics at those campus' where he wants to cheer. I'm not putting ACE or Cali down; but there are a lot of great gyms on the east coast too that may help the money factor.

If he's in Tennessee; have you considered looking at a gym like GymTyme since they work so closely with Louisville? If his goal is to cheer in college, he should be taking clinics at those campus' where he wants to cheer. I'm not putting ACE or Cali down; but there are a lot of great gyms on the east coast too that may help the money factor.
Depending on where they're at in Tennessee, ACE is probably actually closer than GT. I agree though, Cali is pretty far, and GT does have the college aspect.

Depending on where they're at in Tennessee, ACE is probably actually closer than GT. I agree though, Cali is pretty far, and GT does have the college aspect.

You're totally right---I was confusing ACE with another gym on the west coast.

Don't forget Rays is right there too. I'd say look at which college(s) the athlete wants to go to first, then pick a gym from there. If he's looking to stay in the southeast, then I would say ACE (or another quality program in the southeast), but if he's looking to go away for college, why not go to Cali? It would be a good way to get to know the area before college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I'm reading this differently than everyone else - I'm pretty sure she means next year will be his senior year. And that she wants to send him somewhere that is going to help get him ready for college cheer, while also giving him the experience of being on one of these 2 specific teams he has his heart set on.

If he goes to ACE can he still live at home? Or do both options require a host family?

Or am I completely wrong, and this is his senior year, and this is something he wants to do during college? (in which case he needs to choose a college based on things like education, and THEN hope there's a good cheer team nearby)

We're actually on a college visit road trip with cp16 right now to Ohio State and had a great visit with their coaching staff yesterday. What I got out of it is he needs to go anywhere that he can work on coed stunting (tumbling is not nearly as important). I'd also suggest finding out when anyone is hosting a combine this summer and sending him there as well. I tend to think all of that is far more important than what Allstar team he cheers for is. It's what HE can do, not the name on his uniform. (I got this from yesterday as well when he gave his resume including coed elite and cheer athletics and the head coach didn't bat an eye).

Which I totally appreciate.

I'd suggest talking to the coaching staff of the school(s) he wants to attend and asking them what they want to see. Then go to the place most likely to get him experience in those areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back