All-Star Deductions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 5, 2011
So if this topic has already been talked about, I apologize. I briefly tried searching but did not find anything!

I'm curious as to what other types of things you can get deductions for, and how many points they cost you, especially pertaining to the Varsity scoring sheet.

I'm not talking about falls or bobbles in stunts or tumbling. I'm more looking for answers to the random things. For example...

1. Pulling your skirt down if it comes up at any time.
2. Bow falling out.
3. Shoe(s) falling off.

I've heard both yes and no about getting deductions for the first two, I definitely know the third one you will get deductions for, I'm just curious how much?

What about it your bow falls off, and then someone moves it? Is that a separate deduction on top of it falling off?

If you know of other random things to get deductions for, or stories that have happened to you, I would love to hear them! I am curious! =) Thanks all!

It would be under Varsity Deduction Scoring.

I just went there and the deduction besides the obvious like TD's, bobbles, and falls are time violations and out of boundary violations.

Nothing on shoes or bows anywhere.

Yeah that's why I'm curious if you can still get deductions for those even though it is not listed?

Yes, they did!! I remember watching the video. Again, this is why I am curious as to what happens in these types of circumstances! =)

In that situation could it possibly be for safety? It would be very easy to lose a foot in a sock rather than a shoe.

I've always heard that bows and shoes come under safety deductions. Not sure about pulling on skirts - never heard of a deduction for that - maybe just lower overall impression score for ill-fitting uniform(s) or motions not in the choreography?

But there's nothing in thesafety deduction rules that say anything about shoes or bows coming off. They can't just throw a deduction your way without you knowing prior that you would be getting one, based off of rules.

I've always heard that bows and shoes come under safety deductions. Not sure about pulling on skirts - never heard of a deduction for that - maybe just lower overall impression score for ill-fitting uniform(s) or motions not in the choreography?
I've heard the skirt one before in rec. I think it was a 2pt deduction

This is directly pasted from Varsity:

TIME LIMIT VIOLATIONS
Teams that exceed 2:30 will be subject to the following deduction:
•1 - 5 seconds over time will result in a 0.5 deduction
•6 - 10 seconds over time will result in a 1.0 deduction
•11 or more seconds over time will result in a 2.0 deduction

The routine time limit is 2:30. Routines that exceed this time limit run a risk of being assessed a deduction. Judges will use a stop watch or similar device to measure the official time. Acknowledging the potential variance caused by human reaction speed and sound system time variations, judges will not issue a deduction until their stopwatch/clock shows a time that exceeds 2:33.

SAFETY VIOLATIONS
Violation of General Safety Guidelines and any skills performed out of level will be issued a 2.0 deduction.

BOUNDARY VIOLATIONS
The performance surface is defined as the 42’ x 54’ competition floor. The competition boundary is defined as the performance surface and any immediate adjacent safety border. A 0.25 deduction will be assessed per occurrence for an athlete that makes contact with both feet outside the competition boundary. Stepping on, or just past the white tape is not a boundary violation.

"

That is the most detailed safety violation page. And that's only saying if you do a layout in level 3 you get a 2.0 deduction for it being out of level. There's nothing on shoes, skirts, or bows. I'll keep searching.

This is a random other deduction:

PASTED IT FROM ABOVE....

"BOUNDARY VIOLATIONS
The performance surface is defined as the 42’ x 54’ competition floor. The competition boundary is defined as the performance surface and any immediate adjacent safety border. A 0.25 deduction will be assessed per occurrence for an athlete that makes contact with both feet outside the competition boundary. Stepping on, or just past the white tape is not a boundary violation."

So that means you must land with both feet completely off the competition safety border around the spring floor in order to take a 0.25 deduction.

They do mention it...

From the NCA Rule Book for Allstar

Bows should not be excessive in size (acceptable bows are generally no more than 3” in width) and shouldn’t be a distraction to the performance. Bows should be worn in a manner to minimize risk for the participants, should be adequately secured and should not fall over the forehead into the participants’ eyes or block the view of the participant while performing.

The Safety Judge or Head Judge reserves the right to stop a routine, assess a deduction, and/or disqualify a team for a uniform distraction (e.g. garment not being securely fastened/attached, straps break, pants split, etc.). Each performer is required to take the necessary steps to avoid inappropriate exposure prior to the performance. If a judge stops the routine or a performer leaves the floor to adjust a uniform a penalty or disqualification may result. The team may or may not be given an opportunity to return to complete their performance.

And in the General Safety Rules section

6. Soft-soled shoes must be worn while competing. No dance shoes/boots, and/or gymnastics slippers (or similar) allowed. Shoes must have a solid sole.

And of course according to the new USASF appropriate policy :

Judges reserve the right to assess warnings and/or
deductions when a team’s choreography, uniform, make
up, bows etc. do not meet the standards of ‘appropriate’
as described in this policy.

Now the only two policies that go into immediate effect as of 2012-2013 season are the "cover up guidelines" and the "appropriate choreography" guidelines.

Cover up guideline is that if your team uniform is a half top uniform, then you must wear a tee shirt or any other suitable cover up unless you are traveling with a team, in the warm up area, or on the competition floor.

Appropriate choreography guideline includes team choreography and music. It's pretty self explanitory.

Both of these rules do not have written out how much of a deduction they are.

Yes, but the bow rule doesn't go into effect until the 2013-2014 season along with makeup. So you can't get a deduction for it until then.

Latest posts

Back