OT Depression

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. I think I can speak for many of us saying that we support you, hope and pray for you to feel better. You should tell your mom how you feel and have her set up an appointment with your pediatrician. Your doctor may put you on antidepressants, or suggest you visit with a psychologist. You should definitely tell your doctor (if you end up going) everything that goes on and how you feel. I truly hope you can find the strength to reach out for help. Once again, I'm deeply sorry for what is going on.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. I think I can speak for many of us saying that we support you, hope and pray for you to feel better. You should tell your mom how you feel and have her set up an appointment with your pediatrician. Your doctor may put you on antidepressants, or suggest you visit with a psychologist. You should definitely tell your doctor (if you end up going) everything that goes on and how you feel. I truly hope you can find the strength to reach out for help. Once again, I'm deeply sorry for what is going on.

We don't exactly have a certain pediatrician or doctor. We don't get sick or injured much and when we do it's minor.

The Fiercest App of All... Fierce Board

I would tell your mom and go to a psychologist. They will let you talk about what's bothering you and try to help you through it. a psychiatrist can prescribe medicine, but in my personal experience they only book you for 15
minutes and that's not really enough to vent. I was diagnosed with depression in 10th grade and now, 6 years later, I'm off my medicine. I was crying like all the time and I was in a really bad place. The doctor can help. You don't have to be on medicine forever (or at all in some cases) but it does help a lot in the beginning of treatment. As for your friends who didn't seem to care, it's hard for people to understand why others are depressed. No one but you can know how you feel, and it's brave of you to decide to take some action instead of just feeling sad all the time.

We don't exactly have a certain pediatrician or doctor. We don't get sick or injured much and when we do it's minor.

The Fiercest App of All... Fierce Board

I would say the next best bet is having your mom call a pediatric center and schedule an appointment, or see a psychologist. I am pretty sure you can make an appointment with any doctor about depression. You could also ask your mom to research about seeing a psychologist. Speaking from experience, it's extremely helpful to talk to a professional :)

I just want to commend you on your bravery to reach out for help and sincerely hope things get better for you in the future. If your insurance company allows it, I'd suggest finding a psychiatrist who specializes in children and families. They'll be able to get you the right kind of help much faster than going to your regular doctor. And legally all doctors are required to keep pretty much anything you tell them a secret, so don't be self-conscious or afraid to be 100% honest. Sometimes it is easier to talk to a stranger about things so if you ever need someone to talk to feel free to PM me!

I don't know what is making you depressed :(, could you give us some info on what may make you feel sad. Or do you just feel sad/lonely?

The best advice I can give you is, be HAPPY :) life is a wonderful adventure. Never think too much about things. Always look at things in a positive aspect, and even when do you feel very sad and hopeless, remember that everyone feels this way at sometime in their life, it doesn't mean they have depression. Sometimes exploring thoughts, and thinking about things too hard can make you feel depressed/guilty/sad. Even when your super sad, just think about things positively, and try to always think positively. And if it doesn't get better, you may need to talk to a psychologist.

PM me if you want to talk about it, I've talked and helped out many friends/strangers with this kinda stuff.

"Even the darkest night will end, and the sun will rise"

:D be happy and love life!!
-Emilie

Depression is a serious, and in some cases a fatal, mental illness. As nice as what TheCheerDiamond said, if you are suffering from clinical depression, thinking happy thoughts will not fix it (though i'm sure it can't hurt!). If you believe you are suffering from depression please try to contact some sort of psychologist. If you believe that what you need is support through some hard times, try to find someone who you trust to talk indepth to this about, even if it's just a nice long venting session (family, coach etc.). Being a psychology major i absolutely recommend finding a psychologist near you to help guide you through this time while also creating ways for you to slow any future depression!

so aside from the answers given above like seeing a doctor, there are a few things that you can also try :) (but i still recommend you go see a doctor if possible!) i studied depression a lot, and there are a few things that generally can help.
i've heard from quite a few people that exercise helps. you're most likely in cheer, but going for a brisk 30 minute walk or run around the block releases endorphins which can reduce symptoms. makes sense because how awesome does coming home after a run feel?!
second its a good idea to spend time outside. the sun provides vitamin d and has been said to help some types of depression.
also things like eating healthy, and getting enough sleep can help!
another tip is to set achievable goals for yourself. dont make them crazy, impossible things, but things that you know you can achieve! so maybe making a "to do" list everyday with things like go for a walk or run, stretch, workout, laundry etc. and do your best to get those done, but don't be hard on yourself if you dont get everything you want to accomplish checked off every single day. you're one person, you can only do so much! the to do list will help you feel accomplished and productive :)
these are just suggestions based on what i have researched, and have seen work with someone close to me. im not saying if you do all these you'll magically never be sad again, these are just a few tips for you on top of seeing a doctor. i truly hope you feel better and commend you on your bravery to share this! keep your head up :)

It sounds as though you may be a little afraid of talking to you parents about this. You are probably thinking, they will over react, or they wont care as much as you want them to. You are being very brave by coming here and talking to all of us about it, have you tried talking to someone at school? A school psychologist? There are also some clinics geared towards helping adolescents, in which they will not contact your parents unless 100% necessary. While it is best to go to your parents and tell them how you are feeling, it can be scary going to them as well and I completely respect that. Maybe you need someone to talk with regarding telling your parents? It is always good to vent and get it out there, but sometimes you need a professional to help you process things. Although @cheeranswers gave you some great advice! I am not 100% sold on the benefits of online or email therapy, but I am a therapist, and if you ever feel like you need someone please feel free to PM me and I will send you my email address. I work with adolescents in my private practice, and while it is rare, I do offer online/email therapy. You took a big step by coming on here and saying something, now you just need to take the next step and find someone to talk to!

I have dealt with clinical depression myself for many years now. I go through good phases and very bad phases. The first step to me feeling better at ALL was to tell my mom. It freaked her out big time, but I got and will continue to get the help I need to get through my own day.

Most importantly, keep faith. I completely understand the feeling, but things do get better <3.

The best thing you can do is reach out for help. It's very easy to begin to shut people out or push them away when you are seriously depressed, which makes you feel even worse because you feel you have no support system. You are never alone. Go to the doctor. They'll probably have you fill out a survey and ask you about your eating and exercise habits, which can play a big role in how you feel. They may recommend you change some habits and see a therapist, then have you back in a while to decide if you should start on some kind of medication. Depression is the result of a chemical imbalance and trying to convince yourself to feel happy cant always fix everything.

Clearly I don't know the whole story about your friends, but understand that it's difficult for them to see you go through it and watch you slip away. They might not understand that you need them and may instead feel like you are disinterested or dont like them anymore. I have struggled with depression for the last half of my life and I know that in my worst times, when I really need to be surrounding myself with friends, I feel as though everyone is abandoning me. But I look at my habits and see that I'm punking out on plans to stay at home because I feel miserable, I'm ignoring texts because I don't have it in me to talk to someone. I can only expect them to try hanging out with me or talking to me for so long when I'm basically blowing them off. Having a friend that is going through the same issues makes a world of a difference because we can slap sense into each other when we're feeling awful.

Talk to your parents or an adult. Don't feel like you should feel bad. It may be very scary to address at first, but once you go get some kind of help, you will be so happy you did. Depression is not at all uncommon and not anything to be nervous or ashamed of. Sometimes it just happens, even when everything is going right. There are a lot of ways to cope with it in a healthy way. Good luck!

Back