All-Star Diabetes Pump - Safety Issue?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Chelsie

Oh my god Becky, look at her stunt!
Feb 27, 2013
Hi guys. I have an athlete on my senior team with a diabetes pump. She wears a midriff and I was wondering if anyone knew the rule on this? Being visible, should it be taped over or wrapped? Thanks!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

We also have a girlwith a diabetes pump- what we do is test her during warm ups- fix andy issues she may have and while in the hole she takes i off and gives to a coach- right after competing she puts it back on. We have never had any issues with her during that short time. She wears the pump at practice attached to her shorts and we have been very lucky that she has never gotten it caught while stunting ( she is a base). Also in my backpack (coach) i carried glucose tablets just incase. Hope this helps and good luck this season.

We had an athlete with a pump and did the same thing. She tested, adjusted and removed the pump for performance. She put it back on when she came of the floor. Because she was young, we had mom backstage to deal with it but as a senior aged athlete I assume she does it herself.

Jenee has a coach or me (Im the team mom) hold her backpack back stage while she performs…. that has her pump….supplies and orange juice etc. We must keep it close to her because one time she got really high blood sugar and her backpack was two stadiums away at NCA…so we just keep her backpack with the team at all times…. it works well:) She is about to get a service dog who can smell low and high blood sugar so that will help too:)

Jenee has a coach or me (Im the team mom) hold her backpack back stage while she performs…. that has her pump….supplies and orange juice etc. We must keep it close to her because one time she got really high blood sugar and her backpack was two stadiums away at NCA…so we just keep her backpack with the team at all times…. it works well:) She is about to get a service dog who can smell low and high blood sugar so that will help too:)
That is fantastic! Will they allow the dog at the competitions and at hotels since it is a service dog?

I have a girl on my springboard diving team that has a pump and she takes it off during practices and meets. She also has a service dog and she goes everywhere with her.

I've never asked her about it but she seems to be okay to have it off for most of our 2 hour practice.

That is fantastic! Will they allow the dog at the competitions and at hotels since it is a service dog?
My Mom trains service/companion dogs and even in training they are allowed everywhere. Trust me, dogs in training aren't as well behaved or in control as when they graduate, but we haven't found a place yet that hasn't allowed them in.
I think it's awesome to have athletes with their companions. I think it will really help take the stigma out of health issues.

My Mom trains service/companion dogs and even in training they are allowed everywhere. Trust me, dogs in training aren't as well behaved or in control as when they graduate, but we haven't found a place yet that hasn't allowed them in.
I think it's awesome to have athletes with their companions. I think it will really help take the stigma out of health issues.
My college has a program where you can help raise/train service dogs. They're allowed to go everywhere with you except chem/bio/anatomy labs. My friend has one this year, and she's the sweetest dog ever. :) I love seeing how she's started to learn commands.

Just curious what do you do if you forget to take your sharps dispenser? Do hotels have them?

Back