High School Different Squads Competition Vs Sideline

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sep 11, 2013
I am a high school varsity coach in Illinois, I currently have one squad, they are the same squad for both football and basketball and competition. My athletic director wants me to hold two tryouts for next year one for football and one for basketball. I don't think he understand how important it is that I have my competition girls all summer long. I personally am against two tryouts. Is there anyone who does different squads? How do you run things? What do you suggest?

What if your football cheerleaders were your competition team and the basketbal cheerleaders did basketball sideline? Just a thought.

As a parent, I would give anything not to have to sit through all the basketball games...

With two squads you open yourself up to letting girls who play fall sports the opportunity to cheer for winter sports and vice versa. This is how we have done it at our HS for years. I can't speak to the competition aspect because our school does not compete - yet.

The best way I can think to do it is to have a tryout in the spring for football, and one in the fall for basketball. If the girls are interested in competing, they commit to both football and basketball and tryout for the competition squad in the spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know some teams will have one big tryout and then decide from there who will be on a performance team, (football, basketball) and the competition team. usually, the competition team will work on comp routine the entire off season while the current cheerleaders will work on traditional cheer related things (non comp).

I said some schools, I know not at all school does this. But this is what one my local big high schools did as well. But they also had two coaches. So it made a big difference.

Do you compete during basketball season then?
Perhaps there could be a "Varsity team" (year round) = fall football sideline & winter competitive
and a separate " Winter League team" (half year) = winter basketball sideline

We used to have to seperate squads competition and sideline. It was a disaster, and nothing but drama between the teams. This year we have one team, and as basketabll season starts we have a couple of girls who are unable to do all the games because of allstar/winter sports but it's to be expected.

Our school has one tryout, however two will not make much of a difference. There are three teams: Varsity, JV, then Football/basketball (game cheerleaders). Everyone cheer at the games; however they only practice maybe once a week (during game season; if that) on sideline cheers, dance and stunting. For all other practices, only the girls that compete come to practice. Both Varsity and JV are competitive. This works out fine and seem, from what you are saying the AD wants, that this option is a viable option. Good Luck

Here in Maryland, high school cheerleading has two seasons: fall (aligns with football) and winter (aligns with basketball). There are tryouts in August for the fall season and new tryouts in fall for the winter season. The state cheerleading association holds county, regional and state competitions for both seasons. I imagine it can be difficult to get a routine together in the short time period, but it works out for all star kids because they are able to do Fall cheer without conflicting with all star competitions.

we had one big tryout in the spring for the next school year. three teams were made: varsity, jv, and freshmen. you were required to cheer football and basketball unless** you played a winter sport or were in the school play. (**if you were not doing either of those things, and did not cheer basketball you were considered a quitter and not allowed to tryout the next season)

from the pool of athletes who made those three teams an additional tryout was held early summer to make the competition team. this was good because not everyone wanted to make the bigger time/financial commitment, and the spring tryouts only included a cheer, dance, jumps and optional tumbling (wasn't required for any team, but helped overall impression score.) the competition tryout included stunting and tumbling, in addition to dance/jumps/cheer (so even if you only made jv or freshmen you still had a fair shot if you were an awesome base or something.)

In the past there was just one tryout in June (some schools even earlier in the May) for JV and Varsity. Some schools practiced all through the summer, others like ours followed the fall sports schedule and started 2 weeks before school began.

Now that cheer is a sport in NYS a second set of tryouts had to be held in November for the winter sport season. Two girls were added to varsity (one being my cp) and one to JV. I believe one girl who also does all star did not come back to varsity. Not sure if two tryouts are going to be held every season now but they might be.

Also being from Illinois, I understand your situation. One thing to keep in mind is that IHSA is looking at moving competitions up to be during the fall since Basketball season is so demanding as it is. If they do move them up, with competitions starting in August, then I would say two tryouts would work but could get complicated. I'd say have a tryout for football only and then one for competition at the same time in the spring. Then have a second tryout in the fall for basketball season.

Back