All-Star Dislocated Elbow

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 30, 2014
I dislocated my elbow one week ago at practice. They said 4-6 weeks before I get out of the splint. I was wondering if anyone has any exercises I could do without my dominant arm? Also if anyone could share their experience? I have a competition two weeks after I get out of the splint and know I won't be tumbling but I wanted to know how hard it would be to stunt. I am a back spot on a level three team.

You could do one armed push-ups, one handed cartwheels, aerials, standing tucks (if you can) and standing fulls (if you can).
You can also focus on legs, like squats, running, leg cardio, jumps drills and kicks.
You can still probably do the dance (modified) and mark your positions.
You can focus on abs, like sit ups and hollow dish holds.
You can work on flexibility in the legs.

You could do one armed push-ups, one handed cartwheels, aerials, standing tucks (if you can) and standing fulls (if you can).
You can also focus on legs, like squats, running, leg cardio, jumps drills and kicks.
Standing tucks and fulls with a dislocated elbow? Doesn't sound like the smartest idea to me..

Yea I would avoid any kind of tumbling, even if it is something that is relatively easy for someone. You just never know what can happen when using one arm.

I would think you may need physical therapy after having your elbow immobilized. Not sure. When my daughter broke hers she did have to have PT but it was in a cast longer than you. You need to ask your doctor about stunting etc. He or she is the one to tell you when your arm will be ready. Be totally honest with the doctor about what you need to be able to do. If he says don't do it yet then listen. You don't want to mess it up again for ONE competition. One of my daughter's friends had to go back in a cast after doing stuff too soon. But hopefully he will give you the all clear. Good luck and take care of your elbow

Honestly, I'd stick with leg workouts and cardio. If you do all 1 arm exercises you risk over strengthening that arm while losing muscle is the hurt arm. You're already going to lose a little strength from having it immobile in the splint (though less so than with a full cast) and you don't want more imbalance. Not sure you'll be able to stunt in competition 2 weeks later. I twinges my elbow way back in the day (no splint, but some really sore ligaments) and it took several weeks to be able to do anything without pain. Listen to your Doctor and Physio and good luck

I agree that one-armed exercises are not the best idea. When a limb is immobilized, you very quickly lose a lot of strength and even size. Your muscles will start wasting away from underuse in just a few days, and when you take the splint off you're likely to notice a big size difference between your two arms. So you don't want to have one strong arm, and one arm that's missing muscle bulk – you might get a bit lopsided...

Focus on your legs and cardio for now, do exercises that your PT/physio has prescribed, and do everything that your doctor says.

Back