All-Star Disturbed

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've used that figure of speech my entire life and I've never heard that it was racist. I just skimmed the Wikipedia for it.....I'm going to keep saying it. I'm over it all.

Well this is good to know! I really felt bad when the thread happened, because I genuinely had never heard that. I Googled it that day, and still felt like it was not a racist saying, but felt it was best to just let it go.
Vaguely recall that thread. I do believe JAM was crucified for it. Wish I could recall the thread.

Thanks. :)

Now. Where were all you people when I was getting crucified? Just left me there... alone... Undefended. :p

OMG I love you! The oversensitivity of people just is driving me nuts.
I've used the term and, quite literally, imagine a spade. Like, hey, this is a spade in my hand. It's not a shovel. It's not a rake. It's a spade! Call it that!
I always thought it meant spade as in a garden tool. My grandfather actually used to say "a spade is a spade and a hoe is a hoe all day long".

The other day I went to say "One monkey don't stop no show"...... because my mom and grandmother have ALWAYS said it.

Then I was like "hold up....is that racist?"

Then I googled it. Decided "no" and proceeded to say it.

I hate that this is what everything has come to.

I always thought it meant spade as in a garden tool. My grandfather actually used to say "a spade is a spade and a hoe is a hoe all day long".
It's like that NPR article about how the song that some Ice Cream Trucks play (Which I know to be Turkey in the Straw) COULD be racist because although it's more commonly known that way, it was also developed into a minstrel song for a while. I'm like DON'T YOU MESS WITH TURKEY IN THE STRAW YOU JERKS.

Also known as 'Do Your Ears Hang Low?' from Barney.

It's like that NPR article about how the song that some Ice Cream Trucks play (Which I know to be Turkey in the Straw) COULD be racist because although it's more commonly known that way, it was also developed into a minstrel song for a while. I'm like DON'T YOU MESS WITH TURKEY IN THE STRAW YOU JERKS.

Also known as 'Do Your Ears Hang Low?' from Barney.

wait... 'Do Your Ears Hang Low?' isn't about a hound dog? because i was always told we were asking a basset hound if his ears hung low....

wait... 'Do Your Ears Hang Low?' isn't about a hound dog? because i was always told we were asking a basset hound if his ears hung low....
It is. Sorry, I should have said the TUNE was stolen, and the words re-made into a minstrel song. Which apparently featured watermelons.

My question to that is: who DOESN'T love watermelon? It's delicious.

I'm sorry I missed the whole spade racist conversation, @Just-a-Mom I would have been there as I really do not see it as a racist comment. In fact it was someone high up in the Rwandan government who said to me: "let's call a spade a spade and not a big spoon" and I've used it ever since. I can't find anything out on my friend google, which convinces me categorically that it is a racist phrase.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Well this is good to know! I really felt bad when the thread happened, because I genuinely had never heard that. I Googled it that day, and still felt like it was not a racist saying, but felt it was best to just let it go.

Thanks. :)

Now. Where were all you people when I was getting crucified? Just left me there... alone... Undefended. :p
I always get confused when people abbreviate you as JAM.

Back