Diversity On A Cheer Team

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 7, 2013
I'm a 14 year old African American and just made a new all star cheer team. I don't think there are any other black girls on my team and I don't know how others will react with me on their team this year. Any tips/help?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I'm a 14 year old African American and just made a new all star cheer team. I don't think there are any other black girls on my team and I don't know how others will react with me on their team this year. Any tips/help?

Haha I'm Dominican and the only "dark" girl on my team sometimes they even call me the black girl but honestly it doesn't make a difference in the way i get treated. Everyone's there for one reason: to cheer.

Ah, just smile bigger thinking about the money you don't have to spend on spray tan!

Seriously, though, any issues you face will probably be more "new girl" related than "new black girl." This was my daughter's first year with Allstar, and the girls were a little bit distant for the first month or so. Once the routine started to come together, they realized that the new girl could tumble, could pick up a routine quickly, could do her job as a base or back. Everyone came together for a great season.

I hope you have a lot of fun with your new team!

I'm the only Ginger on my team, and people treat me good!! ;) Seriously though OP, if my team cared more about how I looked versus my skills, I don't think I'd even want to be a part of that team. I know it's harder when you're young, and when you might not have a choice in gyms, but I wouldn't want to cheer with people who judged others based on a physical quality such as skin color.

Only Asian on both of my teams and if anything they just nicely joke about your ethnicity, as long as you joke about it too! They don't look at you any differently from tumbling to stunting. It doesn't matter. :)

It shouldn't be a problem, and if it is, that is not the team for you! you made it because you have the skills to be on the team and that is all that matters!!! good luck this season. where are you from?

Ah, just smile bigger thinking about the money you don't have to spend on spray tan!

Seriously, though, any issues you face will probably be more "new girl" related than "new black girl." This was my daughter's first year with Allstar, and the girls were a little bit distant for the first month or so. Once the routine started to come together, they realized that the new girl could tumble, could pick up a routine quickly, could do her job as a base or back. Everyone came together for a great season.

I hope you have a lot of fun with your new team!

Thank you so much! I'm glad everything worked out so well for your daughter! She must be amazing :)

I'm the only Ginger on my team, and people treat me good!! ;) Seriously though OP, if my team cared more about how I looked versus my skills, I don't think I'd even want to be a part of that team. I know it's harder when you're young, and when you might not have a choice in gyms, but I wouldn't want to cheer with people who judged others based on a physical quality such as skin color.

Haha I love gingers! They have the prettiest features to me :) and yep but I haven't met any of my team yet !

Only Asian on both of my teams and if anything they just nicely joke about your ethnicity, as long as you joke about it too! They don't look at you any differently from tumbling to stunting. It doesn't matter. :)

Thank you ! Two teams?!?!? Omg!! I have so much respect for you, I know you must be busy all of the team ! :)

It shouldn't be a problem, and if it is, that is not the team for you! you made it because you have the skills to be on the team and that is all that matters!!! good luck this season. where are you from?

Thanks! I'm from Georgia (the metro Atlanta area, Douglasville) I'm not exactly expecting my team to be racist or anything extreme like that, I'm just really nervous cause I've never been in situations such as this! But I think a girl goes to my school and she's really sweet so I feel better about it now!:)

Back