All-Star Do Colleges Prefer A High School Cheer Background Along With All Star?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 19, 2011
I'm just curious as to what any of you have found about colleges and cheer background. I don't know if it would be worth the pressure of continuing with both high school and all star cheer. Would colleges be turned off by the fact of me only doing all star cheer through high school?

I think it depends on the school and what their focus is. If it's a program that doesn't compete and only does games-they're going to want your crowd leading abilities to be up to par and not really care if you can do a standing full. But the competitive programs will look for a mix of high level skills and crowd leading.

depends on if you mean admission to the school in general or just for the cheer team tryouts. For overall school admission I would bet that highschool cheer looks better just because an admission counselor might not be in tune with all-star cheering and highschool cheering shows that you must have maintained a certain gpa to cheer. For cheering tryouts I would probably go with allstars if the team is competitive. Overall I think the most important factor is commitment and how long it has been done. Allstar for two years and highschool for two probably wouldn't look as good as one long time-span with one activity. JMO

im gonna go with high school. my last year at school cheering we attended a total of 6 competitions all run by our state. and at almost every one there was college recruiters. we had 1 person on our team contacted by 2 colleges and they had no all star background at all! since colleges compete on hard floor also thats probably why they look at high school more.

I'd say go with what you love more/ gets you in the best shape. If you go to a high school where the cheer team/coaching is really good, then stick with that if it makes you happy, but same goes for allstar. At the end of the day, if ur basic skills are sound you'll be good with either background.

High school cheering is a lot more similar to college cheer than allstars. Same hard floor and crowd leading. That's basically what college and HS cheerleading is... allstar will give you more competition experience, but not necessarily exactly like what a college comp is like. I'm gunna stop before I ramble for too long haha.

High school cheering is a lot more similar to college cheer than allstars. Same hard floor and crowd leading. That's basically what college and HS cheerleading is... allstar will give you more competition experience, but not necessarily exactly like what a college comp is like. I'm gunna stop before I ramble for too long haha.

It really just depends on where youre at. I know here in georgia for ANY sport, youre more likely to recruited through school.

I made my college team with no high school experience, only all star. But- I wish I'd had some background in high school cheerleading or sideline cheerleading. Cheering at games is so different from all star cheerleading and it was nothing like I expected it to be.

you might not get "recruited," but if you go to tryouts and you're good, they won't care what you cheered for.

Depends on where you go. College coaches don't want to (and many wont) spend time teach incoming freshman how to "cheer." Thats why a lot of colleges like it when girls have a high school cheer background. If you've never cheered a ball game you don't have the crowd leading skills that you gain from that experience. Even at highly competitive programs, 85% or more of college cheer revolves around games, crowd leading, public appearances, etc, not competitions. This isn't saying that a team won't take you without high school cheer experience, because most will. If you don't do it then get with someone who has cheered in college and have them work with you on how to crowd lead and be a game day cheerleader.

My girls high school team is not good and its the coach that makes it that way. When girls ask me what to do I advise them to do allstars. They have game experience from middle school, which while that doesn't really count in a college coaches eye, I think its smarter for them to get in a good allstar program and keep improving as opposed to going to the high school they're zoned for that has an unqualified coach that is known for making girls worse then when they came in. I think you need to look at the high school team and determine if it will help you or hurt you to be a part of it.

At my school, as long as you're good, they don't care where you cheered. (Good= solid standing tuck or more, running layout or more, and good dancing and cheer abilities.)

frontflipper said:
do any colleges reall "recruit"! like they do for soccer, football etc...?

Yes. I don't think it is as nearly intense as other sports or activities, but at our state competition for cheerleading (years ago..) there were recruiters hanging out right as we got off the floor handing business cards to the athletes they were interested in.

Back