High School Do Hs Cheer, Or Not?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

One thing to think about: Many college coaches are looking for girls who have cheered high school as well as allstar. I would do at least one year so that you can put it on your college app.

I am on both my high school team and an all star team and it's been really tough. The adjustments from going from one practice to the next was really weird, especially because my High School team isn't as experienced and my all star team. But if you're someone who loves taking leadership, then joining would be the perfect opportunity for you to share experience and ideas with your High School Team, otherwise it can be very stressful. Also, I view allstars and high school as two COMPLETELY different sports, so if you didn't like middle school cheer or pop warner then high school cheer isn't the thing for you.

Idk...
But school cheer is VERY frustrating at times.
I could go on and on, but I think all star is better.

Cheering in high school is a great experience, but you'll def have a lot of conflicts since you're on two all star teams. I say drop an all star team & cheer for school.

Thank you guys so much for all the feedback! I'm still not sure what I'm going to do but I will definitely take all of this into account when I decide.
Make sure you check your state rules. Some states, like WV, AZ and ID don't allow High School Athletes to compete in an outside sport that competes in the same season. Other things to consider:

1. The family and friends are amazing in High School. It’s a great way to be involved in your community as well as your school.
2. You must like to rally a crowd in high school. If you don’t, then it’s not for you. That is it’s primary purpose. 3
High school will not teach you new skills, it will only maintain those that they currently have. The schools don’t have the equipment or coaching background to teach advanced skill. A lot of schools require an outside tumbling class to help obtain the more difficult tumbling skills they cannot teach..
7. High school and All-star cannot compete with each other. They are different animal. Evaluate where you are in your life and what you want out of your high school years and make the best choice for you.

NO! haha.
I tried cheering for school & allstars my freshman year && it caused sooo much problems! I actually quit because my coach kept making these mean comments on how "we can't choose a team to cheer for" when she specifically knew we cheered for BOTH. annnnywaaay my mom and the coach had a HUGE blowout in the parking lot and i quit and so did another girl.
So then i started double teaming on allstars and allstar cheerleading is so much better! :)

From a coach position....You should really consider the other team members. If you're going to be missing practices/games to be at the other teams practice it's very unfair to your team. Also, I've seen girls get upset with their HS teams because they are usually not as skilled or as strong as the allstar teams...it can be frustrating. I agree with icecheer1395, if you have choice in cheering for different HS seasons, don't do baseketball....too many allstar competitions during the season. Your allstar coach might call emergency practices that might conflict with your HS cheer schedule. If you can just cheer in the fall season for your HS, that's usually less stressful since allstar comps haven't started yet. And remember....you want to enjoy cheerleading, not be stressed out by it!

Just my personal experience..

-cheered for my school middle school through my junior year along with my all star team.
-HATED high school !
- coaches were rude, and always had a problem with conflicts with all star.
- my hs competed and they always wanted me to tumble like 8 times in the routine and basically did nothing else.
- I was the only tumbler on my squad freshman year.
- we don't stunt, THANKFULLY ! or someone would have got seriously injured.
- our football team was awful so we didnt cheer much and got yelled at by the coaches.
-we have a stone track, and they expected me to tumble on it.
- DRAMA DRAMA DRAMA! like legit cat fights everyday, over how someone decided to do their hair for the game or someones boyfriend.

-trust me bottom line, unless you really want to cheer on your school, just cheer all star.

i tried high school cheer and absolutely hated it,
& i know that alot of people who cheered high school get hurt alot more often than at allstars because of lack of coaches experience at high school level.

This is gonna sound super negative, but I say hands down don't do it. High school cheer might be fun, but the skills you gain in allstars are what's gonna get you on a college team. Not being able to cheer sideline. Plus, there are tons of conflicts. Especially if you're already on two allstar teams, that's at least 3 practices a week

From a coach position....You should really consider the other team members. If you're going to be missing practices/games to be at the other teams practice it's very unfair to your team. Also, I've seen girls get upset with their HS teams because they are usually not as skilled or as strong as the allstar teams...it can be frustrating. I agree with icecheer1395, if you have choice in cheering for different HS seasons, don't do baseketball....too many allstar competitions during the season. Your allstar coach might call emergency practices that might conflict with your HS cheer schedule. If you can just cheer in the fall season for your HS, that's usually less stressful since allstar comps haven't started yet. And remember....you want to enjoy cheerleading, not be stressed out by it!

This is what I did last year (freshman year) and it worked out fine, but then this year I tried doing football & basketball and it was just WAY too much. I didn't have one free day a week. I recommend you don't do basketball and try doing allstars in the same season.

I cheered for my school this past year and I do allstar cheer. Although I only did cheer in the fall (for football). I didnt cheer for basketball because i was doing high school gymnastics & with that and allstar, I figured I didnt have a whole lot of time for a third sport getting put in. & from what I heard cheering for basketball wasnt all that exciting. But I would say try high school! Its definitely a way different experience than allstar. The only bad thing was that I got terrible shin splints from the hard floor you have to use at high school! /:

I do both. In my experience, high school doesn't have near the difficulty all-star does. I only cheer football season, because basketball would interfere with competitions. It is difficult sometimes going straight from one practice to another, but I make it work. However, if I had to just chose one I would definitely pick all-star. I mean school is fun for the social part and all, but all-star is where my heart is.

Back