Do You Look Down On Small Gyms?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I absolutely love my small gym. Like others have said, it's such a family experience. We have a bigger gym in our area that my mom has offered to let me join, but after being with my small gym for 6 years, I could never leave them. I absolutely LOVE my coaches; they're the nicest people ever & are always willing to work with me when I need it. I feel like the bigger gyms miss out on that one-on-one time with their coaches. My coaches are honestly a huge part of why I love cheer so much & they inspire me so much. I'm so glad I'm at a small gym, even if no one really knows about us. To me, it's more about having fun than winning trophies & being well-known.

I look down on tiny gyms the same way I look down on tiny houses.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I've seen many small gyms that are equally as good as large gyms. I do think however, if an athlete wants to go to Worlds and be competitive you (unfortunately) have to go to a large gym. We are at a small gym and are thinking of making the jump to a big gym next season for this reason only. We love the family feel of our small gym, but my CP's dream in life is Worlds!

Just as a sidenote, I know that people want to go to bigger gyms for level 5s and worlds teams, but what about building one where you are? I have a group that is level 4 this year, and it's my dream to have them at a level 5 or restricted 5 in a year or two. This team has really worked well as a group, and I would love to see them make this journey together. It doesn't hurt that the closest L5 is over an hour away.

At the same time, it's a bunch of kids that are at the same level...it's not like it's one kid with L5 skills at a gym with a Senior 3. In that case, I can see leaving to go somewhere else.

Just as a sidenote, I know that people want to go to bigger gyms for level 5s and worlds teams, but what about building one where you are? I have a group that is level 4 this year, and it's my dream to have them at a level 5 or restricted 5 in a year or two. This team has really worked well as a group, and I would love to see them make this journey together. It doesn't hurt that the closest L5 is over an hour away.

At the same time, it's a bunch of kids that are at the same level...it's not like it's one kid with L5 skills at a gym with a Senior 3. In that case, I can see leaving to go somewhere else.
I agree totally, that's why I said "to be competitive (unfortunately)". It really is the same gyms that make it to the top consistently. I hate to even think that way. I would love to stay with the same gym and the same girls, but when most girls get the higher level skills they move on to CAC or Cheer Extreme around here. That's why it's so hard to keep the high levels at our smaller gyms.

Our gym has done just that. A few years ago it was a big deal for us to have a level 4 team. Now we have two level 4 teams and a senior 5 team, and those teams are made up predominantly of kids who came up through our "system".

Our gym has done just that. A few years ago it was a big deal for us to have a level 4 team. Now we have two level 4 teams and a senior 5 team, and those teams are made up predominantly of kids who came up through our "system".

I just keep hoping to have continued success with the group and keep building our program. Let's keep our fingers crossed that they stay happy and want to stay with me.

first off. nobody should ever look down at a small gym. i used to come from a small gym (florida wildcat allstars) and they really wern't the best at the time i was there but thats not the reason i left. i left because they played favorites ALOT!!! so i moved to brandon allstars. so basicly if you really don't like it then move to another gym.

Copied from another board
brookesmomctr:
My Thoughts....some of you might want to read
Everyone has their own opinion about Cheer Perfection and that is fine, everyone has that right to express themselves. But I would like to say thank you from Brooke and myself to those that have spoken positive about her on twitter, tumblr and the cheer boards. In tv production things are edited and the whole/complete story is not shown. Brooke went into tryouts doing what she could do at the moment. She has a fracture in her vertebra and that will always be there and we are working under the guidance of her doctors in slowly allowing her to do what she can do. Laugh at me all you want, say what you want, post what you want but Brooke is truly an awesome kid, dancer, student, friend and yes even a cheerleader! A mother that I didn’t even know sent me a very heart warming email this morning and it said, “My daughter and I were completely blown away by Brooke’s passion and love for the sport of cheer. Through mutual friends that we have in common, I discovered a lot about you and Brooke and what has occurred in your lives over the last 8 months and I don’t see how you both do what you do on a daily bases. Tell Brooke to keep that dream and all will turn out well.” The email goes on but my point here is be mindful of who you judge for you may be in their shoes one day. Feel free to share my post.

I am sure there are people who will give you varying opinions on the small gym vs large gym debate. What everyone needs to understand is that most of the Large Gyms started as Small gyms. Without the small gyms the industry would really suffer.

I have been involved with All Star since 1996, and I have witnessed many gyms come and go. I have visited gyms of all different sizes, and feel there is a place for everyone. Many of the small gym owners prefer to stay that way, some are looking to grow. Whatever program you are with - just be proud to be a part of it.

I am sure there are people who will give you varying opinions on the small gym vs large gym debate. What everyone needs to understand is that most of the Large Gyms started as Small gyms. Without the small gyms the industry would really suffer.

I have been involved with All Star since 1996, and I have witnessed many gyms come and go. I have visited gyms of all different sizes, and feel there is a place for everyone. Many of the small gym owners prefer to stay that way, some are looking to grow. Whatever program you are with - just be proud to be a part of it.

I remember 1996; small and poor were a way of life!

:D

every gym has started out small. no reason for looking down. gotta start somewhere

I don't have any biased towards small or large gyms... I coach at a small gym and I love the family and the atmosphere... but the larger gyms have things to be jealous of too; choice of team placement (I have to place anyone that comes in the door), more funds from fees to enable purchase of things like music, equipment etc, but I do have to say that the one thing that makes me sad is at comps...

When the larger gyms compete, it feels like the entire stadium is cheering them on, and when we compete I can almost hear the crickets. I would like to see better sportsmanship from some of the larger gyms, to cheer on those that don't have the numbers in the crowd to make enough noise. We always cheer everyone else on, I make a point of teaching the kids to do that; but it just doesn't feel like others do the same for us. :(

I don't have any biased towards small or large gyms... I coach at a small gym and I love the family and the atmosphere... but the larger gyms have things to be jealous of too; choice of team placement (I have to place anyone that comes in the door), more funds from fees to enable purchase of things like music, equipment etc, but I do have to say that the one thing that makes me sad is at comps...

When the larger gyms compete, it feels like the entire stadium is cheering them on, and when we compete I can almost hear the crickets. I would like to see better sportsmanship from some of the larger gyms, to cheer on those that don't have the numbers in the crowd to make enough noise. We always cheer everyone else on, I make a point of teaching the kids to do that; but it just doesn't feel like others do the same for us. :(
So true :(

Back